V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 25, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #8,704 of 23,366
BTW, anyone who wants to have more mids in the M-100s (assuming you're not eq-ing), the RSA SR-71B actually fills the mids quite nicely.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #8,705 of 23,366
I have questions to ask and can you people please ans. them, btw i am a head-fi noob

1) Is the comfort unbearable/a dealbreaker?
2)Will there be orange cables, the apple kind?
3)Will this sound ok with the ipod touch 5g?
4)Im looking at the amperiors, momentum and ue9000/6000 and how do the m100 compare with them?
5) Are these good with vocals because i listen mostly to pop, RnB, and rap

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #8,706 of 23,366
Quote:
OK - for folks wondering about the mic etc... for the M-100s as gaming headphones.  I just got my Astro USB chat cable and was able to spend an evening using Ventrilo and playing games with my Mixamp 5.8.....In a word -  Awesome.  The microphone had wonderful clarity and when paired with the amazing sound the headphones treated the game to it made for a great evening.  I was able to use my mixamp to tune exactly the right amount of voice vs. game audio and folks commented on how much better I sounded vs. my old microphone.  I will soon be writing a review on this setup on one of my other forum's gaming headphone areas to recommend this as a great multipurpose headphone.

One of the great things about it is that I now have my BoomPro Mic hooked up at my pc with my mix-amp, my shareplay cable at work, and my phone cable as mobile...so I don't have to worry about carting cords around all over the place.  I might even buy a second shareplay cable for the bedside so that I can just carry my headphones and leave cables at all crucial places.

Can you explain a little more about this setup? I don't know what Astro USB, Mixamp, or Ventrilo are

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #8,707 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys.... been lurking this thread for a bit.  Was reallllly close to pulling the trigger on pre-order, but I'm starting to see folks say they're not especially good for rock and metal.  Is it an issue of pace?  Too laid back?  Something else?  I currently use Sennheiser HD25's, driven by a C421.  I really enjoy them, but was thinking of trying something a bit different.  What I like about them is they handle rock and metal very well (my primary genres), with nice forward guitars, reasonably forward vocals, good sparkle to cymbals, and pretty good bass.  At times I'd like them to be bassier, more so with some hip-hop/rap/pop (my secondary genres).  I dunno mostly I'm quite happy just wanted to try something different, and was/am quite tempted by the M-100's.  Could anyone elaborate more on how rock/metal sounds?  Could anyone compare them to the HD25's?

This is all subjective as I think they are great for rock.  I have been enjoying Led Zeppelin and Rush immensely with the M-100.  Imaging is fantastic, especially with drums.  The tight, punchy bass also adds to the enjoyment.  Vocals are detailed and lifelike.  I am also fine with cymbals.  I returned the Amperior/HD25 which I don't feel is in the same league with the M-100 regarding imaging, midrange detail and accurate highs.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #8,708 of 23,366
Quote:
BTW, anyone who wants to have more mids in the M-100s (assuming you're not eq-ing), the RSA SR-71B actually fills the mids quite nicely.

I tried searching for the manufacturer, but could not find.  Speaking of portable amps that pair well with the M-100, I am considering upgrading my FiiO E11.  Anyone have any thoughts on the JDS Labs C421 and the differences between their chip options: OPA2227 and AD8620?  Any other portable amps in the $200 range that might bring out the mids and lows a little more?

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #8,709 of 23,366
Quote:
I tried searching for the manufacturer, but could not find.  Speaking of portable amps that pair well with the M-100, I am considering upgrading my FiiO E11.  Anyone have any thoughts on the JDS Labs C421 and the differences between their chip options: OPA2227 and AD8620?  Any other portable amps in the $200 range that might bring out the mids and lows a little more?

I think he's talking about the Ray Samuels Audio SR-71.  Here's a link:http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/sr-71

I personally would love a Shadow but it seem a bit too pricey along with everything else on that site.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #8,710 of 23,366
Quote:

I think he's talking about the Ray Samuels Audio SR-71.  Here's a link:http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/sr-71

I personally would love a Shadow but it seem a bit too pricey along with everything else on that site.

Thanks.  The SR-71B is not in my budget, so looking forward to hearing more about the C421 with M-100 and which chip would work best.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #8,711 of 23,366
Quote:
Can you explain a little more about this setup? I don't know what Astro USB, Mixamp, or Ventrilo are

Sure --

The Astro Mixamp is a dolby digital decoder/amplifier for headphones which is geared towards gaming.  It takes two audio sources (your game sound and the voice chat) and allows you to mix them together quickly and easily.  It is mainly geared towards XBox/PS3 (where you don't have a sound properties menu to tweak those two things) but also works great on the PC.  Here is a picture of the wireless one that I use, there is also a wired version.

The USB cable that I was waiting on allows the Mixamp to be a second sound card on your pc, to enable the voice chat and mixing of voice/game chat within the device.

The final piece of the puzzle is a software program called Ventrilo.  It is simply a gamer based chat program where as many as a couple hundred people can be in a room and talk to each other.

Putting it all together I have a near wireless headset (there is a cord going to the mixamp receiver, but I am not tethered to my desk) with amazing sound that I can dial in the perfect amount of chatter from my teammates.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #8,712 of 23,366

I was actually looking at the C421 a couple weeks ago and the general consensus on what I read was that the OPA2227 was superior to the AD8620 as the 8620 had dull mids and highs.

Here's one of the reviews I read that gives details on both chips:
http://www.headfonia.com/flyin-high-jdslabs-c421/

Hope this helps,

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #8,713 of 23,366
Quote:

Sure --

The Astro Mixamp is a dolby digital decoder/amplifier for headphones which is geared towards gaming.  It takes two audio sources (your game sound and the voice chat) and allows you to mix them together quickly and easily.  It is mainly geared towards XBox/PS3 (where you don't have a sound properties menu to tweak those two things) but also works great on the PC.  Here is a picture of the wireless one that I use, there is also a wired version.

The USB cable that I was waiting on allows the Mixamp to be a second sound card on your pc, to enable the voice chat and mixing of voice/game chat within the device.

The final piece of the puzzle is a software program called Ventrilo.  It is simply a gamer based chat program where as many as a couple hundred people can be in a room and talk to each other.

Putting it all together I have a near wireless headset (there is a cord going to the mixamp receiver, but I am not tethered to my desk) with amazing sound that I can dial in the perfect amount of chatter from my teammates.

Wow, thats hardcore! lol. I enjoy a bit of TF2, but I'm not quite *that* serious. lol 
Thanks for the explanation though ^^

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #8,714 of 23,366
Quote:
I was actually looking at the C421 a couple weeks ago and the general consensus on what I read was that the OPA2227 was superior to the AD8620 as the 8620 had dull mids and highs.
Here's one of the reviews I read that gives details on both chips:
http://www.headfonia.com/flyin-high-jdslabs-c421/
Hope this helps,

Actually, there are different views regarding the opamps on the c421. I actually had it with the 8620 and mids and highs were excellent. The bass boost function works GREAT and the little amp could properly drive my Mad Dogs at High Gain easily. The only thing and reason I sold it... battery life (like 10 to 12 hours...). So I bought the Leckerton UHA 6SMKII

Anyway, regarding chips:

Quote:
Two options are available for the primary stage opamp: AD8620, or OPA2227. Our #1 recommendation for c421 is the OPA2227, which gives smooth, refined output and an excellent soundstage. If you cannot decide, it's safest to choose OPA2227. This chip receives excellent feedback from c421 owners.

We also greatly enjoy the AD8620. Some users love the AD8620, but feedback is admittedly mixed (either loved or hated). Choose AD8620 if you've heard the chip before, or if you certainly prefer an analytical sound signature over the "warmer" characteristic output of the OPA2227.

But you can just peruse:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575633/jdslabs-c421-preorder-is-live

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #8,715 of 23,366
Quote:

Actually, there are different views regarding the opamps on the c421. I actually had it with the 8620 and mids and highs were excellent. The bass boost function works GREAT and the little amp could properly drive my Mad Dogs at High Gain easily. The only thing and reason I sold it... battery life (like 10 to 12 hours...). So I bought the Leckerton UHA 6SMKII

Anyway, regarding chips:

But you can just peruse:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575633/jdslabs-c421-preorder-is-live

The Leckerton UHA 6SMkII's highly praised in Head-Fi. A chap in Tokyo Head-fi has got one but I've not had a chance to listen to them.

95% of my M-100 time has been by the VAmp (which uses an OPA1612 OpAmp). But for occasional testing I also tried the aforementioned RSA SR-71b, & ALO Rx Mk3. Admittedly historically I've not been a fan of the SR-71b and prefer the Rx Mk3 in general for most of my headphones, however the M-100 is one of the few headphones where the SR-71b has good synergy with.

Hopefully I'll get to try the Leckerton this weekend though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back