V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #8,673 of 23,366
Quote:
val said that the revolver will have swiveling cups? i dont recall that

I recall it clearly - plus, that's why it's called "Revolver" right now. He says it's still at least a year out though, if I remember correctly.
Quote:
So then it would be more of a DJ headphone compared to the portable audiophile-oriented M-100?

Possibly - it depends what he wants to do with the sound signature. Studio headphones also have swivel cups a lot of the time. I would love to hear/see what a V-MODA 'flat'/'balanced' headphone is like though. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #8,676 of 23,366
I read earlier on in the thread that someone had a pair of matte black m100s with a pair of orange shields. Could you post some photos with the orange cord too? I have ordered the same configuration and am anxious to see how it works out. Much appreciated.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #8,677 of 23,366
Since I'm also suffering from ears touching the drivers and getting irritated after some hours, I did the modding trick. Specifically, I stuffed a fairly thick layered napkin under the endge of the pads so that it does covers all the edges 360° without any gaps. I've now done some 8h of listening with either one or both cups modded and couldn't ABX test a reliable difference in the sound. I imagined a very subtle difference multiple times but couldn't reliably reproduce it when trying again. As for the comfort it certainly helps but is not a perfect solution. I'd say it roughly doubles the comfortable listening time for me. Well enough for anything but long flights and LAN parties.

Also I'm getting the top of the headband pressing quite hard and irritating the top of my head. I recall having something similar happen with the original Crossfade LPs for a while but it went away pretty fast. I'm expecting the same to happen here.

Now if only there was a ZO2.3 reseller in Berlin to test that combo out in person.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #8,678 of 23,366
While awaiting my M-100's (got a shipping notification october 8th), I'm trying to educate myself in the technicalities of how sound reaches our ears,, with lingo like efficiency, dac's and impedance.
Concerning the latter term, am I correct that the impedance of the M-100's isn't known yet? And well, does it concern anyone :cool: ?

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #8,679 of 23,366
Quote:

Surprised no one responded to this. I must say that's rather interesting you feel the M-100s remind you of the D600s. I noticed you haven't mentioned much about the bass control between the two. I feel this is where the M-100 triumphs not just over the D600 but over other headphones too - as from the Denon thread, it seems the distortion rather is the culprit.

I really like M100s bass reproduction and it's definitely tighter than what I remember from the D600s... but if I take off my "let's concentrate on the details" cap and just listen and enjoy the music, they do sound similar on that band. BTW, just like I mentioned on my impressions of the Denon D600s, these M100s ARE NOT bass-head phones (at least not to me!) Both do reproduce great sub-bass, have an emphasis on mid-bass but don't destroy the rest of the spectrum... well... probably the mids on the M100s (the D600s just have weird highs! lol)

And distortion might be the culprit... not sure though. I don't think I've seen graphs on them (distortion graph) but I did get to see Innerfidelity's freq chart.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #8,680 of 23,366
Quote:
I posted this in the shield discussion...

... and to elaborate without posting an unfinished review...

I love their...
  • Build Quality
  • Features
  • V-MODA Support
  • Custom Shields
  • Cable Quality
  • Mid-range & Treble Detail

I would prefer...
  • Toned-down Bass. (I want the punch, but not the 'width'/'resonance')
  • More aggressive Mid-Range. (Sounds too recessed currently)
  • Rotating Cups (Revolver anyone?)

Point is, V-MODA has made me a fan, but some further adjustments to the sound would make me a "superfan."

• Toned-down bass is probably more preferable for home listening, but as a "road warrior" I've found the accentuated bass to be very favourable actually.
  • I agree with that, but I don't think it sounds too recessed. It sounds more balanced during mobile listening from my experience, but I would prefer the mids to be a step forward. It is still very much within my realm of acceptance.
  • Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one who would like swivel earcups. I have to bend the earcups/headband outward to allow the earcups to be angled (similar to the angled pads of the LCD-2; I just used that to best explain the shape of my head)

This sounds pretty good when traveling between classes.

Quote:
I read earlier on in the thread that someone had a pair of matte black m100s with a pair of orange shields. Could you post some photos with the orange cord too? I have ordered the same configuration and am anxious to see how it works out. Much appreciated.

You mean like the photos Jude took?

Quote:
Since I'm also suffering from ears touching the drivers and getting irritated after some hours, I did the modding trick. Specifically, I stuffed a fairly thick layered napkin under the endge of the pads so that it does covers all the edges 360° without any gaps. I've now done some 8h of listening with either one or both cups modded and couldn't ABX test a reliable difference in the sound. I imagined a very subtle difference multiple times but couldn't reliably reproduce it when trying again. As for the comfort it certainly helps but is not a perfect solution. I'd say it roughly doubles the comfortable listening time for me. Well enough for anything but long flights and LAN parties.

Also I'm getting the top of the headband pressing quite hard and irritating the top of my head. I recall having something similar happen with the original Crossfade LPs for a while but it went away pretty fast. I'm expecting the same to happen here.

Now if only there was a ZO2.3 reseller in Berlin to test that combo out in person.

Really? That's kind of surprising to me. Even on "meh" YouTube quality videos, I can notice a difference with both of the suggested paper towel mods.

When modded (either the original paper towel mod or DigitalFreak's mod), the violin parts are more forward (as they should be considering it's the "star" instrument in the song), the bass is more tamed and decreased in quantity for home listening, and the cymbals are easier to follow.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #8,681 of 23,366
I am considering to purchase these headphones but I want to ask some questions first.  Are these headphones over ears?  Also, I'm not sure if I want to spead $300 on my first headphones.  Should I consider getting the M80s?  How do the M50s compare to the M80s?

I'm looking to get headphones that are portable and have excellent sound quality.  I would like the headphones to have very good sound isolation.  Any recommendations?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back