V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 24, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #8,656 of 23,366
Quote:
Also, in addition to the problem with some rock songs, the only other thing disappointing me with these is the comfort.

While the pads are very very soft, once the headphones have been worn for a while, they flatten a bit more, making the already problematic thickness a bigger problem. My ears used to barely touch the driver cover felt, but now, the entire upper half of my ear is resting flat against it when I wear my M-100's, it gets uncomfortable within about an hour.

i also get that, plus as i mentioned earlier for some reason the headband hurts my head as well.. which is really annoying because i have to keep moving it around from time to time

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #8,658 of 23,366
My ears must be really big because they still hurt with the mod. just not as much as before :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #8,659 of 23,366
Quote:
The Gazette is J-Rock not metal but what do I know. I've only been following the genre since 81.

Ahh, well I don't have a solid definition of the difference between rock and metal, but my understanding is that metal is the fat brother of rock. So... J-Metal? lolololol
How did Derangement sound to you through the M-100?

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #8,660 of 23,366
Oct 24, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #8,661 of 23,366
Quote:
Ahh, well I don't have a solid definition of the difference between rock and metal, but my understanding is that metal is the fat brother of rock. So... J-Metal? lolololol
How did Derangement sound to you through the M-100?

Well I've never heard that song before but it sounded ok I guess. Drums and bass were slightly over emphasized but because the guitars had that hard heavy weighty crunchy chug everything seemed to blend in alright. It wasn't a particularly fast song so the mid range didn't smear. If that's the heaviest and fastest you go for rock/metal then you should be ok. A Grado or a Sennheiser could probably do the guitars better but the M-100 didn't screw it up and seemed to do the song enough justice.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #8,662 of 23,366
Oct 24, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #8,663 of 23,366
Quote:

Seconded.  My left ear touches the driver housing more noticeably than my right.  Reversing the headphones yields a parallel result.

Concerning the use of corks, I haven't noticed a definitive audible difference with or without them but the thought process is practical enough.  Regardless of how audibly beneficial they may be, my obsession with keeping possessions in pristine functional and cosmetic condition is thankful for the dust covers.

Perhaps they're around for two reasons: 1) to minimise extraneous air flow; 2) to maximise resistance across the strips, thereby reducing hiss and making it more power efficient.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #8,664 of 23,366
They sure look tiny for circumaurals
Quote:
If you have your own 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, you can pull out the V-MODA cable and replace it with yours and listen to your own media player. It's probably really bad...but I've done it multiple times for multiple headphones at the Apple and Microsoft stores. >.>

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #8,666 of 23,366
mm, ^^^ this talk of metal makes me curious how this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc
sounds on the m-100s.
...if any of you vtf owners would be so kind. 
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #8,668 of 23,366
I posted this in the shield discussion...
Hahaha - thanks.  I worked for a while on them, I got stupid OCD with the positioning and such. I even asked him for his signature twice, because he changed it slightly recently, and I had to combine the two.

The shields are one of the biggest things compelling me to keep my M-100's, as these M-100's are certifiably "mine" with them on. They're amazing headphones, but I'm not sure if the sound is for me.

... and to elaborate without posting an unfinished review...

I love their...
  • Build Quality
  • Features
  • V-MODA Support
  • Custom Shields
  • Cable Quality
  • Mid-range & Treble Detail

I would prefer...
  • Toned-down Bass. (I want the punch, but not the 'width'/'resonance')
  • More aggressive Mid-Range. (Sounds too recessed currently)
  • Rotating Cups (Revolver anyone?)

Point is, V-MODA has made me a fan, but some further adjustments to the sound would make me a "superfan."

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #8,669 of 23,366
Rotating cups? Revolver? Hah, I get it.

Full review probably coming by the end of the week. Everyone I've shown it off to, be it casual audiophile or just regular people with no interest in headphones, have all been extremely delighted with it, and I'd like to write a review that encompasses the general public (V the people of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back