V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #8,626 of 23,366
Just wondering if you have the matte black m-100's, I noticed the silver rim between the pads and the main part on the LP2's is now black on the M'100. Is this part now plastic or black metal do you know?
Kinda torn between the two really.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #8,628 of 23,366
Quote:
Someone who preordered his pair last week (on the forums) said that he had his shipped out in 3 days (prior to his preorder) - I think the earlier you pre-order, the better chance you'll have of getting an earlier pair. My guess is anywhere between 30-60 days is a valid area of estimate.

I wish. That whole thing was actually a glitch in the system and it was someone else's order for another product. That's why when I tracked it with the given tracking number, it went to another state then where I live. The rep I talked to said none will ship until December. 
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #8,629 of 23,366
Sooo... been at home most through the day since I got like 4 teeth removed (getting braces at an "old" age... not fun at all). and decided to listen to the M100s for a while. Quite frankly, I'm not overly impressed with their sound. Nope, it's not bad, but they actually remind me of... GASP... the Denon D600s!!

Yeah yeah, those are the ones that have been mildly criticized (compared to the D400s and D7100s) due to their initial price (it's like $340 now...) and "lacking good sound" but from what I remember (memory... I sold them last week), both are a bit warm-ish, with boosted mid bass, well defined sub-bass (both easily hit 10-40hz without any problems!), etc. Main difference? The treble and mids on the V-MODA are actually more pleasant but differences are more palpable in the treble area where the M100s wins hands-down!

Now I'm asking myself, why so many were crapping the Denons? Listening to the Vs, at mostly the same price, I think it's actually a good competition and I believe that people that like even more boosted bass will choose the D600s...

Anyway, just a thought that jumped to my head while listening to Kaskade's Fire in your New Shoes....

check,

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #8,630 of 23,366
Quote:
60 days is what I wasn't hoping for, but c'est la vie for something on preorder. 
the 2-5 db bump was the sort of rough metric I was looking for. The thing that was holding me back about the crossfades was how bass heavy I read that they were. I like a bit of bass but not tons as I lean heavily towards the rock genre. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise in this thread that there is a better option for me then the m-100s I think that is what I'll go with (and I fully realize this is unlikely given its more a m-100 appreciation/ desire thread then a  it is feedback lately ) 

I still might be the only one who thinks this, but I don't think rock is one of the M-100's strongest genres. It certainly sounds really excellent during mobile listening, but if you sit at home or work in a quiet environment, the cymbal crashes aren't as engaging as other headphones I've heard (they seem to be further back on the stage to me).

For most of the rock tracks I've listened to, I hear the instruments like this (again, this may be only me):
Bass guitar/pedal  guitars/vocals  snare drum  cymbal crashes
(I really like this way of typing how a headphone sounds; kudos to Curly21029 for starting this trend)

For that purpose, and that purpose only, I would actually recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50, which is still a really good headphone for its price, not going to lie. That or a Shure SRH840 would probably suit rock music more, from my limited experience with the SRH840. If you're willing to try an open-back headphone, Grado headphones are usually the recommended brand for rock music since their headphones have decent bass punch and a more forward treble presentation.

Quote:
Just wondering if you have the matte black m-100's, I noticed the silver rim between the pads and the main part on the LP2's is now black on the M'100. Is this part now plastic or black metal do you know?
Kinda torn between the two really.

I'm pretty sure it's still plastic. I don't see any reason why matte would be the only M-100 colour with metal.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #8,631 of 23,366
Anyone ranked these among other $300 headphones such as the Beyerdynamics or Senn 600's? 

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #8,632 of 23,366
Quote:
I still might be the only one who thinks this, but I don't think rock is one of the M-100's strongest genres. It certainly sounds really excellent during mobile listening, but if you sit at home or work in a quiet environment, the cymbal crashes aren't as engaging as other headphones I've heard (they seem to be further back on the stage to me).

If you're willing to try an open-back headphone, Grado headphones are usually the recommended brand for rock music since their headphones have decent bass punch and a more forward treble presentation.

A quiet environment is a luxury I don’t have. Work is has a lot of fans and chillers going, at home its roommates blasting the tv and so on. So for me its all mobile or noisy… I borrowed a friends senheiser open back headphones for work once and It was dreadful… I like closed back  as for ‘heavily’ rock isn’t the only thing I like. What drew me to the m-100 was the fact that it seems fairly balanced and does well across genres 

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #8,633 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone ranked these among other $300 headphones such as the Beyerdynamics or Senn 600's? 

I like the M-100 much much more than the HD600 or HD650. The Senns were too dark for my personal tastes.
I can't comment on Beyer headphones since I haven't really listened to one in detail.

Quote:
A quiet environment is a luxury I don’t have. Work is has a lot of fans and chillers going, at home its roommates blasting the tv and so on. So for me its all mobile or noisy… I borrowed a friends senheiser open back headphones for work once and It was dreadful… I like closed back  as for ‘heavily’ rock isn’t the only thing I like. What drew me to the m-100 was the fact that it seems fairly balanced and does well across genres 

Ah in that case, the M-100 should fit you pretty well then. I really like the M-100 for mobile listening. As for open-back headphones, that's a definite no no in a loud environment.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #8,634 of 23,366
I like the M-100 much much more than the HD600 or HD650. The Senns were too dark for my personal tastes.
I can't comment on Beyer headphones since I haven't really listened to one in detail.

Interesting 
normal_smile .gif
 How do they fair detail and soundstage wise?

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #8,636 of 23,366
Quote:

For most of the rock tracks I've listened to, I hear the instruments like this (again, this may be only me):
Bass guitar/pedal  guitars/vocals  snare drum  cymbal crashes
(I really like this way of typing how a headphone sounds; kudos to Curly21029 for starting this trend)

I agree.

While it's still passable, it's not one of the M-100's strong genres at all, and is actually my biggest dissapointment with these headphones. If the song is mastered well enough, it's okay/passable, but if the guitar is in the background, it sounds muffled and oh so bad.

It's sad, because otherwise, I really love these headphones.

PS: On another note - I am regretting not getting Matte Black. The more I see it, the more I appreciate the sleek look.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #8,637 of 23,366
Quote:

HD600s --> Lovely mids, bass is not in your face, treble is a bit tamed/rolled-off but a proper source (one that accentuates the highs) it sounds tasty. It is my favorite open headphone. I'm pairing it with a Nuforce Icon HDP and Lehman BCL...

Which one I would pick... at this moment both. But they have different uses, one's for home use and the other one for street/work/etc, Each one has their pros and cons.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #8,638 of 23,366
Quote:

Actually, to my the M100s don't isolate ALL that well... Can you extend your budget? I think the Ultrasone Signature Pros would suit you well...

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #8,639 of 23,366
Yeah, idk, the rock is okay for some, but I'm still liking these with classic rock. Maybe not as much as I did with the alessandro MS-1's, but these do fine.

Anyway I've been wearing my case on my side, and now the strap that connects to the carabiner is starting to wear out. Half of one side is already torn. Mmmmm......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back