V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #8,372 of 23,366
Quote:

My Crossfade M-100 Shadow. The kanji-like logo you see is from Metal Gear Solid 4, my personal greatest video game of all time.
IMHO, the iPhone 4S + VAMP + M-100 combo performs up to nearly 7~80% of my TH900-based $8,000+ desktop headphone system.

It's a "Technology Trifecta" when you have the perfect headphone/amp/source!   

PS - I want to hear more opinions by those that own VAMPS/iPhone 4S... as that was our MAIN test/tuning setup.

-V

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #8,374 of 23,366
Quote:
You guys are tempting me to buy a ZO2.3. Is it really that good?

Well I personally prefer ZO2.1 over ZO2.3 but some easy driven headphones sounds better on ZO2.3 though but yes to me it's THAT good, it allows me to tune the bass quantity I'm looking for due to 32-lvl bass contour adjustment and it also has a very good quality bass boost that doesn't impact on mids & highs (not too much anyway). Without it maybe there's only 2-3 or so headphones that hit the sweetspot in terms of bass quantity, with ZO I can get that preferred bass quantity of most the headphones if the drivers are capable of delivering it.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #8,375 of 23,366
At today's e-earphone festival. 1st pix was taken by my iPhone, apologies on quality. It was for twitter :-

Wearing my M-100 :-

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #8,378 of 23,366
Quote:
Sorry to bring back an old post, yeah I've noticed that "windchime" sound too. I find it surprising that you haven't heard it on other headphones though since I can hear it pretty clearly on any of the earphones/headphones I own at about the same volume level.
My "Human Nature" track is from Quincy Jones's From Q, With Love album.

I do hear it from my other headphones but only after I noticed it with my M-100s. Thereafter it's glaring on every headphone/earphone I put on.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #8,379 of 23,366
Quote:
At today's e-earphone festival. 1st pix was taken by my iPhone, apologies on quality. It was for twitter :-

Wearing my M-100 :-

I know this is off topic but man Japanese women are cute
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #8,380 of 23,366
I appreciate your perspective and, as I have not heard the SRH940, can't comment on comparisons.  However, regarding  a few comments related to the M-100, I would like to provide my perspective regarding a few comments highlighted above.  First, I think it is somewhat unfair to compare XB bass to M-100 which relates to describing the bass as "slightly loose" as I find M-100 bass to have the extension and punch which is the tightest and most precise I have ever heard.  Perhaps SHR940's bass sounds well defined for the same reason a dark headphone doesn't have sibilance, because that frequency range is barely there at all.  Lastly, regarding laid back treble, I understand this is a preference thing, but if the M-100 were any brighter, it would start to lose points for me.  Respectfully, we can agree to disagree.

Well I wasn't comparing the M-100 to the XB headphone per se (I haven't even listened to an XB headphone for more than 30 seconds), it was more of if you like X's sound signature, you probably won't like Y's sound signature.

You might be right about the bass. It could also be that I'm so used to hearing a much faster headphone that I think the M-100 sounds "slightly loose" in comparison.

The brightness of the treble is fine with me, it's the presentation that bugs me, there's a difference. I agree that the M-100's treble is near sibilant to my ears, so it's good that it wasn't "upped" more than that. I've listened to many rock tracks on the M-100, unamped, amped with a FiiO E7, and on my Yamaha receiver with CD transport and I have concluded that rock isn't the M-100's strongest genre of music. The laid back presentation of the drum set isn't nearly as engaging as other headphones I've heard and as a result, the tracks just seems off to me.

HIGH AND MIGHTY COLOR's Swamp Man, Stereopony's Over The Border, and Moi dix Mois's D+SECT albums' drums in particular didn't sound as engaging as I was hoping they would be. I've seen all 3 of those bands live.
Nightwish's Wishmaker album, although the vocals are pretty good sounding relatively speaking, again the drumset, and specifically the cymbals, just seems off to me in where it stands relative to the other instruments.

I have found that applying a bass reducing EQ of some sort helps make the mids and highs more pronounced. I don't have a specific number though as I was using the bass knob on the Yamaha receiver.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #8,381 of 23,366
This is sort of random. But for those of you who wear headphones when doing art, do you know a good way of cleaning them? I use charcoal mostly so black on black doesn't do much. but with pastels, I'm afraid of permanently coloring my headband by touching it. Should I just wipe it with a wet cloth or something when I'm done? Or just not use them at all.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #8,383 of 23,366
I wouldn't use them while doing other things than drawing with pencil. I paint and the few times I wore a headphone it really got dirty. Not an issue when you don't care about stains on the headphone, but when you do care the answer is obvious. Anyway, I too have a question: when will these things be available for ordering in Europe like from amazon or from another webshop? I don't want to have to pay the import taxes ( a 30% on top of the price in my country) or sometimes customs even retains stuff for no reason or makes it disappear (it has happened to me), so very annoying!! .... 

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #8,384 of 23,366
Quote:
This is sort of random. But for those of you who wear headphones when doing art, do you know a good way of cleaning them? I use charcoal mostly so black on black doesn't do much. but with pastels, I'm afraid of permanently coloring my headband by touching it. Should I just wipe it with a wet cloth or something when I'm done? Or just not use them at all.

Might not wanna use these if you're doing art...maybe use cheaper ones? :p  But a wet cloth should be fine...I don't see how that could hurt.  Which colour do you have though?  Only the Shadow has the suede material doesn't it?

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #8,385 of 23,366
Would be curious to know how M100 sound if used with my very carefully and audiophile-friendly tweaked DH config:

Portable foobar2000 v1.1.15 "Forward" configuration: foobar2000.v1.1.15.Dolby.Headphone.(Forward)-RPGWiZaRD.zip 

Note: For best result I also strongly recommend changing to WASAPI (event) output manually in the foobar2000 File -> Preferences -> Playback -> Output afterwards, it's been set to Direct Sound by default for compatibility reasons. If you use WASAPI you'll need to match your output device setting with the same bitrate as set in foobar2000 and make sure the music files are using same sample rate (for example 44100 Hz) as set in the output device properties in windows control panel or else use a resampler in foobar2000.

Above package is pre-configured and just has to be extracted somewhere. I've become spoiled with the natural and realistic sounding soundstage of this config so I couldn't imagine going back to standard foobar2000 config anymore. Especially for the M-Audio Q40 which has a bit poorer soundstage it brings it wonderfully to life at which the soundstage becomes very satisfactory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back