V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #8,386 of 23,366
Quote:
Might not wanna use these if you're doing art...maybe use cheaper ones? :p  But a wet cloth should be fine...I don't see how that could hurt.  Which colour do you have though?  Only the Shadow has the suede material doesn't it?

I do have the shadow headband...Is that bad for wet things? I would use my M80s, but after hearing the M100s I couldn't go back..

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #8,387 of 23,366
Would be curious to know how M100 sound if used with my very carefully and audiophile-friendly tweaked DH config:

Above package is pre-configured and just has to be extracted somewhere. I've become spoiled with the natural and realistic sounding soundstage of this config so I couldn't imagine going back to standard foobar2000 config anymore. Especially for the M-Audio Q40 which has a bit poorer soundstage it brings it wonderfully to life at which the soundstage becomes very satisfactory.

:basshead:

What is this sorcery? This sounds amazing! The extra reverb effect makes it sound more concert-hall like and the bass, to me, seems more balanced relative to the mids and highs....this is actually really impressive for the drumset presentation.

Nightwish's Wishmaker sounds pretty good to me.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #8,388 of 23,366
Quote:
basshead.gif

What is this sorcery? This sounds amazing! The extra reverb effect makes it sound more concert-hall like and the bass, to me, seems more balanced relative to the mids and highs....this is actually really impressive for the drumset presentation.
Nightwish's Wishmaker sounds pretty good to me.

Just a config I've tuned very carefully over a year (at this point I think I've got the quite perfect EQ settings, used to tweak on 0.1-precision yet a few weeks ago though), I've tweaked the virtual 5.1 upmixing in channel mixer plugin for the most natural sounding yet expanded soundstage compared to stock that brings improved positioning too and EQ'd out the frequency response change that DH plugin comes with. I did leave the midrange veeeery slightly more forward compared to stock foobar2000 balance on purpose though and I imagine this fitting wonderfully for M100 too.

The reverb can be reduced, I also have another config with slightly less reverb + slightly more bass that I process all my hardstyle tracks through before uploading to my youtube channel. :p For most music I prefer this kind of "natural" sounding reverb and the reverb helps to create a bigger sounding stage, especially sounds superb with acoustic, with fast electronic music I'd prefer possibly the other config with very slightly reduced reverb (basicly 0.1 step reduction change to "amplification" slider for the dolby headphone wrapper and +0.1 on stereo width in channelmixer to counter effect the slightly reduced soundstage size that follows if reducing the reverb).

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #8,389 of 23,366
I really appreciate your response. I do not commute using public transportation. I normally just sit down and listen at home while surfing the net. And I am notoriously anal when it comes to protecting my expensive gears...:D. Dang! I already setup my mind.....:xf_eek:.
Maybe. SR225i and M-100 for the same price of the PS500?

Update:

I went ahead to the Grado dealer and demoed the Grado PS500 again , asked the guy to wrap it for me. While he was writing the receipt , i went back to the listening both and auditioned the SR225i and SR325i. That's it! I went back to the guys counter and I appologized for him openning the PS500 before I pay for it. I did not pay the PS500, I paid the SR325 instead. The third time I auditioned the SR325i, I kindda love it! So now I have the Grado SR325i and I am not cancelling my Matte Black Pr-ordered M100. I am so happy now. The PS500 at my second auditioning, it changed my mind.

Moral of the story , when buying phones, go back 3 times and demoed it until you know it for sure .

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #8,392 of 23,366
Question: When I put my image on the blank_template file. Does it need to have a transparent background? I don't want to waste time making the background transparent if it doesn't need to be. So anyone experienced with custom shield designs please let me know! :)

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #8,393 of 23,366
Quote:
Question: When I put my image on the blank_template file. Does it need to have a transparent background? I don't want to waste time making the background transparent if it doesn't need to be. So anyone experienced with custom shield designs please let me know! :)

It doesn't need to be transparent, don't worry!  As long as it's black and white!

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #8,395 of 23,366
To add on to my last impressions, now that my ears seem to be beginning to clear scratch that:

1. This is all straight out of my iPod Touch 5th Generation.
  2. Bass could be more detailed for things like rock. An example would be "Code Monkey" by Jonothan Coulton. Most of it is fine, but the background guitar feels muddled to me. Is it just the mastering of the song in this case? Songs like "Revenge" by supercell are mostly unaffected, and still have good detail.
  3. Out of my iPod, I have to have the volume at 1 or 2 clicks above medium (62 - 68%) . This is probably due to the larger drivers.
  4. Even so, the bass kicks and 'purrs' even without an amp. I am sure it would be improved with one though, like many have stated.

I will do a full review sometime next weekend. I want to go to the clinic tomorrow to check my ears - make sure nothing is wrong.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #8,396 of 23,366
So... guys/gals, clear something up for me...

The M100s "REAL" pads are supposed to be just the black version?
I read that the white ear pads are really for the LPs and not the M100s.
Is this the same for the gray ear pads?

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #8,397 of 23,366
Quote:
So... guys/gals, clear something up for me...

The M100s "REAL" pads are supposed to be just the black version?
I read that the white ear pads are really for the LPs and not the M100s.
Is this the same for the gray ear pads?

Thanks.

I don't know about the black pads being the only "real" pads, but I did get this response from service about the issue:

Quote: David @ V-MODA Customer Service
Hello,

We've been reading your posts, and we are glad you wrote in. White M-100 pads don't exist yet. When the pre-order was first put up, there should not have been an option to change the ear pad color. This was corrected, but some orders got through with a color change. Since the order was placed with white ear pads, we went ahead and included the white ones as an extra set.

Currently, we don't know if there are plans for M-100 white pads. It is best to inquire with Val on Head-Fi to get any details on the future of those. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Rock On,
David
V-MODA Customer Service
http://www.v-moda.com

... As such - we don't know what will happen to those who got unusable pads, when the M-100 pads will be available, or when the 'bigger, thicker' M-100 pads will be available, or if they are even still happening. We still need Val to comment on all of this. 

I do know that I would trade both my current sets of pads (LP2 White + M-100 Grey) for a nice set of thicker white M-100 pads in a heartbeat though... I need white pads to finish off the designs I have in mind.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #8,398 of 23,366
Then I think the same thing about the "white" pads will apply to the "gray" ones as current pre-order M100 page DOES NOT let you pick the ear pad...
Hmmm... wrote to V-Moda support.
I don't think Val might get to this as fast (methinks)

Thanks for your response,

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8,399 of 23,366
Then I think the same thing about the "white" pads will apply to the "gray" ones as current pre-order M100 page DOES NOT let you pick the ear pad...
Hmmm... wrote to V-Moda support.
I don't think Val might get to this as fast (methinks)

Thanks for your response,

I think you can plan on white headphones coming with grey pads and both black and shadow coming with black pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back