V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 20, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #8,358 of 23,366
Quote:
IMPRESSIONS OF M-100 + DIGIZOID ZO2.3

---------------------

HOLY BALLS

---------------------

In all seriousness, I was backstage before/during my performance tonight and had a couple hours to test the M-100's with the DigiZoid ZO2 (v2.3). Boy, if you guys thought these cans purred without amping, you gotta try it with a ZO2. Waves of creamy, delicious bass washed over my ears like the richest of swiss chocolates, while the crunch of the mids and the airy highs remained present, not unlike almonds and bits of toffee in this chocolatey simile.

Albums I tested with the M-100 both unamped and amped included:

Local H - Local H's Awesome Mix Tape #1 (Post-Punk/Post-Grunge Rock)
Ritalin - Bedside Toxicology (Ambient/Industrial Electronica)
Mr. Scruff - Ninja Tuna (Trip-Hop/Electronica)
Metallica - Metallica (Thrash/Heavy Metal)

I can vouch for the fact that the M-100 retains it's impressive soundstage and the mids/highs stay right where they are while the bass thunders down. With those memory foam pads, it's a little like basshead heaven.

Thanks for sharing, good to know ZO works nicely with it as I don't plan to abandon my ZOs anytime soon (Got ZO1, ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 xD). The headphones will have to work with the ZO, not the other way around when doing a purchase lol.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #8,359 of 23,366
Quote:
Go to: http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/
Also, for the additional designed plates you have to download the template and follow the directions for that, template set up can be found on this page: http://v-moda.com/over-ear-shields/

Thanks for the link, I guess I'm just having trouble finding the details of the pre-order deal (if it's still active).

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #8,361 of 23,366
When you upload your design does the design go on the standard shield or the 'extra' one that you pick?

Also is the design meant to be black in white background or vice versa?

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #8,362 of 23,366
Whooo! Just ordered my M-100s. Gunmetal shields with my initials in the middle surrounded by a tribal dragon, I'd show you guys if I had the technical expertise to do so haha.

Can't wait till Christmas :) meanwhile, eagerly awaiting my JVC HA-S500s which will come in next week.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #8,364 of 23,366
You have to realize that like you stated, you are no audiophile. Purchasing Grado PS500s will make you over cautious to bring them out in real life scenarios (bus, walking around, etc.) that you might get them damaged. Therefore those Grado's will most likely remain on your desk, forcing you to use boring earbuds in your day to day life. The thing about V-Moda and their M80s and M100s is, you don't have to leave them at home - they have been graded to handle stress in regular daily life, if you drop them, they will work, if you sit on them, they will work. M100s and M80s have substantial sound quality to anything you are probably used to, and you can bring these wherever you go without worrying about damaging them...

Save the extra money and buy an Amperior, Keep the m100s and soar into goodness.

I really appreciate your response. I do not commute using public transportation. I normally just sit down and listen at home while surfing the net. And I am notoriously anal when it comes to protecting my expensive gears...:D. Dang! I already setup my mind.....:xf_eek:.
Maybe. SR225i and M-100 for the same price of the PS500?

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #8,365 of 23,366
Quote:
but my best guess is they will overprice it, probably will end up being around 30$ :/. Although, I personally think it should come with it regardless of pre-purchase, pre-order, or regular purchase. You can get better high quality mics for 30$. So it's mainly just convenience.

Even though I already have one I would probably feel ok with the purchase if I paid $25- $30 for it.  I was actually quite impressed at how high quality it is.  I don't think it's going to give snowball like recordings, but I'd put it on par with the extremely popular (and also $30) modmic.

Quote:
Do these sound like $300 cans?

Many reviews actually don't even do a lot of comparisons with the other $300 closed headphones, but rather to much more expensive ones.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #8,366 of 23,366

My Crossfade M-100 Shadow. The kanji-like logo you see is from Metal Gear Solid 4, my personal greatest video game of all time.
IMHO, the iPhone 4S + VAMP + M-100 combo performs up to nearly 7~80% of my TH900-based $8,000+ desktop headphone system.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #8,368 of 23,366
Quote:
As an owner of the SRH940, I can say that if you like the SRH940, you won't like the M-100 very much. And the SRH940's street price is around $250 nowadays. >.>
^ my dilemma
It's like going from a Grado to a Sony XB headphone, there's a huge difference in sonic signature. If you like one, you probably won't like the other.
SRH940 vs M-100:
very prominent and extremely detailed vs laid back and mildly detailed treble
very forward vs slightly held back midrange
tight, well controlled, rolled-off bass vs full-bodied, slightly loose-sounding, and well extended bass
very analytical vs warm and more "fun"
"meh" comfort vs "aaah" comfort (SRH940 velour pads are stiff relative to that of the M-100's)
cool earpads vs hot earpads
contrary to what I've mentioned before, further back in concert hall vs front row (directly comparing them it's like a relaxing sound vs in-your-face)
wide soundstage vs somewhat closer together
very good instrument separation vs OK instrument separation (instruments are VERY well defined in SRH940, and seem a bit muddled together for the M-100 in comparison)
A/B-ing right now as I speak on MacBook -> Audirvana Plus -> FiiO E7 (using E7's built-in headphone splitter)
I am still being amazed as to how well the SRH940 does in its price category relative to higher-end headphones, except in the bass department. Doing a review for the M-100 should be...interesting for me considering I seem to be the only person who is somewhat disappointed with the M-100 sonically. Evidently my personal tastes for sound are different from that of others since everyone else isn't complaining about the sound (I was the first, and still the only person who thinks the treble is laid back relative to the mids and lows especially with initial drum and cymbal hits). I think if Val were to hear the SRH940, he would be like Tyll and say it's a "not very good headphone" because of its peaky treble and lack of bass extension.
I can definitely see the appeal for the M-100 relative to "normal" headphones in this price range though.

I appreciate your perspective and, as I have not heard the SRH940, can't comment on comparisons.  However, regarding  a few comments related to the M-100, I would like to provide my perspective regarding a few comments highlighted above.  First, I think it is somewhat unfair to compare XB bass to M-100 which relates to describing the bass as "slightly loose" as I find M-100 bass to have the extension and punch which is the tightest and most precise I have ever heard.  Perhaps SHR940's bass sounds well defined for the same reason a dark headphone doesn't have sibilance, because that frequency range is barely there at all.  Lastly, regarding laid back treble, I understand this is a preference thing, but if the M-100 were any brighter, it would start to lose points for me.  Respectfully, we can agree to disagree.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #8,369 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The kanji-like logo you see is from Metal Gear Solid 4, my personal greatest video game occasionally-interactive movie of all time.

IMHO, the iPhone 4S + VAMP + M-100 combo performs up to nearly 7~80% of my TH900-based $8,000+ desktop headphone system.

Added a slight correction. (only ribbing, of course)  The design looks great!

Interesting comparison.  I've never personally tried the TH900, but I'm sure that comment will raise many eyebrows.  Care to elaborate?

EDIT:

Quote:

...I find M-100 bass to have the extension and punch which is the tightest and most precise I have ever heard.

...if the M-100 were any brighter, it would start to lose points for me.

Co-signed.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #8,370 of 23,366
Sorry to bring back an old post, yeah I've noticed that "windchime" sound too. I find it surprising that you haven't heard it on other headphones though since I can hear it pretty clearly on any of the earphones/headphones I own at about the same volume level.
My "Human Nature" track is from Quincy Jones's From Q, With Love album.

Yep, I heard that chime on youtube using my $10 earbuds from walmart...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back