V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #5,596 of 23,366
Quote:
Ha
Excluding amps then
cool.gif

I have really been debating ordering a Fiio to pair my new M-100s with.  Part of my says that I should ditch Rhapsody and my iPhone for music and move to my old 20 gig iPod classic and an external amp.

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #5,597 of 23,366
Hey all,

So I'm about to pre-order my VTFs, and I just want to make absolutely SURE of three things before I do so:

1) The custom shields that we get as a bonus can be ordered seperately. All I have to do is select "Yes" for the second pair, and choose a colour, but then not send in a design with it, and just send it over email when I'm ready, correct? (Do I have to choose a colour for it right now, or can I do that later too?)

2) The satisfaction guarentee that we get - would I have to pay for the shipping to return them if i need to? Or is that free?

3) The one thing I haven't really gotten a grasp on throughout this thread is what the M-100's will sound like, compared to other headphones. Of all the 'phones I've tried, I really liked the Denon D-2000's sound signature. They sounded very open and natural to me - Will these sound similar, or completely different? Im open to change, but i did like the 2000's. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #5,599 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey all,

So I'm about to pre-order my VTFs, and I just want to make absolutely SURE of three things before I do so:

1) The custom shields that we get as a bonus can be ordered seperately. All I have to do is select "Yes" for the second pair, and choose a colour, but then not send in a design with it, and just send it over email when I'm ready, correct? (Do I have to choose a colour for it right now, or can I do that later too?)

2) The satisfaction guarentee that we get - would I have to pay for the shipping to return them if i need to? Or is that free?

3) The one thing I haven't really gotten a grasp on throughout this thread is what the M-100's will sound like, compared to other headphones. Of all the 'phones I've tried, I really liked the Denon D-2000's sound signature. They sounded very open and natural to me - Will these sound similar, or completely different? Im open to change, but i did like the 2000's. 

For #1 I can't guarantee how long you'd have to send it in, but that is what I did and they were okay with it.  For #2 I'm not really sure...

As for number 3, none of us can really say.  Only one person here has heard them and I'm not sure if he's heard the D2000s before.  So we have no way of really answering that question yet.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #5,600 of 23,366
As for number 3, none of us can really say.  Only one person here has heard them and I'm not sure if he's heard the D2000s before.  So we have no way of really answering that question yet.

For #3 more than one of us have heard the M-100 but the other member for some reason hasn't posted his opinions (although his opinion vocally heard clearly in Val's video:wink:).

Yes I have heard the D2000 & although I like it, personally I'd still weigh in more for the M-100 for aesthetic reasons (more compact & portable). As for SQ comparisons, as I mentioned many posts & many pages ago (buried deep in this thread :frowning2:), I'd refrain from commenting since 2 months had past & although it was pretty much almost the final prototype, it still was a prototype. All I do remember is that when I listened to the M-100 it wow-ed me. Not many other headphones have done that to me.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #5,601 of 23,366
Quote:
For #3 more than one of us have heard the M-100 but the other member for some reason hasn't posted his opinions (although his opinion vocally heard clearly in Val's video:wink:).
Yes I have heard the D2000 & although I like it, personally I'd still weigh in more for the M-100 for aesthetic reasons (more compact & portable). As for SQ comparisons, as I mentioned many posts & many pages ago (buried deep in this thread :frowning2:), I'd refrain from commenting since 2 months had past & although it was pretty much almost the final prototype, it still was a prototype. All I do remember is that when I listened to the M-100 it wow-ed me. Not many other headphones have done that to me.

Sounds very promising 
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #5,602 of 23,366
Yeah it does. I just liked how the D2000's sounded airy. From what I understand and have heard, V-moda is a more Bass-heavy company, and I'm feeling like it's going to sound a bit more compressed. Im wondering how airy and open Val can make it sound. Either way though I think I'm going to go through with them. Hopefully I can return them at little-to-no cost to me if I don't like them.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #5,603 of 23,366
Quote:

I have already purchased and returned 5 different headphones since July when the M-100 was first tentatively announced to be released.  I can cross the following off my list:
M-Audio Q40
Sennheiser Amperior
ATH-PRO700MK2
Denon AH-D400
Denon AH-D600

I purchased these because I really need want a great pair of headphones in my price range and thought that one of these might meet the expectation I have of the M-100 since the real M-100 isn't yet available (but at least now preordered).  I really hope after all this time not-so patiently waiting, the M-100 meets the expectation I have of the M-100.  I am encouraged that you say you were wow-ed.  I really don't want to return any more headphones!

@AnakChan- you were right about the bass regarding the AH-D600.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5,604 of 23,366
Not sure if this has been talked about here or in a different thread, if so my apologies. But does the white get dirty? if so how easy is it to clean? assuming that it's made of the same material and color coating as the M80.

Thanks

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #5,605 of 23,366
Quote:
Not sure if this has been talked about here or in a different thread, if so my apologies. But does the white get dirty? if so how easy is it to clean? assuming that it's made of the same material and color coating as the M80.

Thanks

It was addressed by Val recently that this is not an issue and easy cleanup.  I ordered white and am not concerned.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #5,606 of 23,366
I have already purchased and returned 5 different headphones since July -[snip]

Etc etc etc expectation doobie boolee doo da expectation.  I am encouraged that you say you were wow-ed.

Yeah. Don't take this very heavy, but I kinda expected that would happen. Not sure it won't happen again with the M-100, but for your sake (and the god of returns' sake?) I hope you finally feel you don't have to ask for more, at least for a while. But, at least now you're more experienced? A little less like the subject of the Kaiser Chief's most popular song?

"We are the angry mob!
We read the papers every day!
We like who we like and hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed!"

What were the problems with those other headphones? Or, was it just that they were not "the best?"

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #5,607 of 23,366

Sorry, but this is a vast overstatement.  Standardization of 4K is still a good way off and its perceivable benefit to anything but the most indulgently large panels is highly debatable.  Personally, I'm of the opinion that we should be making a clean break from the limitations of LCD technology before moving on to higher-grade content...

...but I digress.

On to holograms? YES!
Come along, R2.
:wink:

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #5,608 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah. Don't take this very heavy, but I kinda expected that would happen. Not sure it won't happen again with the M-100, but for your sake (and the god of returns' sake?) I hope you finally feel you don't have to ask for more, at least for a while. But, at least now you're more experienced? A little less like the subject of the Kaiser Chief's most popular song?
"We are the angry mob!
We read the papers every day!
We like who we like and hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed!"
What were the problems with those other headphones? Or, was it just that they were not "the best?"

Each had their shortcomings.  Here are my Cliff's notes:

M-Audio Q40 -  great bass and decent overall sound, but sibilance even though highs were not overly bright, could be more detailed and more portable friendly
Sennheiser Amperior- nice sound, but not worth the price, little sonic difference from the HD25, not very detailed
ATH-PRO700MK2 - incredible bass but soooo dark
Denon AH-D400 terrible treble fall off- muffled; muddy one-note bass worse than any rapper can
Denon AH-D600 really good, detailed mids and highs, but muddy bass and almost nonexistent sub bass

I also have two contingency headphones if the M-100 doesn't work out.  If the contingencies don't work out, I'm retiring from Head-fi, finding another hobby and going back to the stock earbuds that came with my Iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back