V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 28, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #5,611 of 23,366
Each had their shortcomings.  Here are my Cliff's notes:

M-Audio Q40 -  great bass and decent overall sound, but sibilance even though highs were not overly bright, could be more detailed and more portable friendly
Sennheiser Amperior- nice sound, but not worth the price, little sonic difference from the HD25, not very detailed
ATH-PRO700MK2 - incredible bass but soooo dark
Denon AH-D400 terrible treble fall off- muffled; muddy one-note bass worse than any rapper can
Denon AH-D600 really good, detailed mids and highs, but muddy bass and almost nonexistent sub bass

I also have two contingency headphones if the M-100 doesn't work out.  If the contingencies don't work out, I'm retiring from Head-fi and going back to the stock earbuds that came with my Iphone.

I'm so glad my post didn't make you mad! I feel like lately I've let personal life things color my communications with an abrasive tone... it's not you, it's me feeling jaded and trying to brush it off with a little silliness. I do sometimes see what looks like people being swayed by mob mentality, and certainly 5 headphones in about two months is some sort of shopping luxury in your case (maybe I'm just jealous?), but it does seem like, though those are all pretty much new (or new-ish) releases, you aren't buying into the placebo effect of new gear.

I too went Lo-Fi for a time, enthusiast gear just started to seem like a hassle and I got sick of my music, but I never could go back to earbuds (comfort issues), and eventually I realized I needed some exciting new music! And then... a free subscription to Stereophile and moving into a Headphone-required environment brought me (sucked me!) back in to Head-Fi. I'm hoping to be set in equipment soon, and get back to music. Most of all I want work to feel inspiring, but I doubt music will directly affect that :wink:

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #5,612 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm so glad my post didn't make you mad! I feel like lately I've let personal life things color my communications with an abrasive tone... it's not you, it's me feeling jaded and trying to brush it off with a little silliness. I do sometimes see what looks like people being swayed by mob mentality, and certainly 5 headphones in about two months is some sort of shopping luxury in your case (maybe I'm just jealous?), but it does seem like, though those are all pretty much new (or new-ish) releases, you aren't buying into the placebo effect of new gear.
I too went Lo-Fi for a time, enthusiast gear just started to seem like a hassle and I got sick of my music, but I never could go back to earbuds (comfort issues), and eventually I realized I needed some exciting new music! And then... a free subscription to Stereophile and moving into a Headphone-required environment brought me (sucked me!) back in to Head-Fi. I'm hoping to be set in equipment soon, and get back to music. Most of all I want work to feel inspiring, but I doubt music will directly affect that
wink.gif

No offense taken.  I've had enough heated debates here lately and I remind myself this is all in good fun as we are just talking about headphones.  Posting can be like road rage in the sense that there is a barrier between people that depersonalizes and makes one feel invincible and I try to be cognizant of that.   If it is any consolation, I didn't keep any of those headphones and it's not like I picked up a TH900 on a whim :)  Last year before joining Head-fi, I bought Ludacris Soul SL300s and I now realize I threw away $300, so I am just being selective and not shy about returning if I don't think a $300-$400 headphone is something I'll want to listen to for the next few years.  Of course I am being facetious about going back to Apple earbuds.  I do want to give a shout out to the B&W C5 that has been keeping me going between all these returns.  I think they are a really good IEM that actually stays in the ear based on their design.  I really like their overall sound and they have great bass even if tinyman hates them.  Considering how particular I am with headphones, if someone is looking for an IEM under $200, maybe it means they are worth auditioning if I am fond of them (understanding I am just one opinion)?

PS. I was in Pittsburgh for a wedding a few weeks ago, also hung out at Southside Works.  Awesome city!

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #5,613 of 23,366
Quote:
Welp, just pre-ordered mine in white with gray ear pads and the brushed black! Can't wait!

edit: Were the white ear pads available earlier? 

Yes they were. Why? Are they not available now?

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #5,615 of 23,366
Quote:

Guess why I laughed.
Quote:
Each had their shortcomings.  Here are my Cliff's notes:

M-Audio Q40 -  great bass and decent overall sound, but sibilance even though highs were not overly bright, could be more detailed and more portable friendly
Sennheiser Amperior- nice sound, but not worth the price, little sonic difference from the HD25, not very detailed
ATH-PRO700MK2 - incredible bass but soooo dark
Denon AH-D400 terrible treble fall off- muffled; muddy one-note bass worse than any rapper can
Denon AH-D600 really good, detailed mids and highs, but muddy bass and almost nonexistent sub bass

I also have two contingency headphones if the M-100 doesn't work out.  If the contingencies don't work out, I'm retiring from Head-fi, finding another hobby and going back to the stock earbuds that came with my Iphone.

Wow, good to know there's so much crap out there. Wondering if Val feels the same way. (If he does, it means the M-100s are better ;P )

Why the secrecy about the contingencies? :wink: You don't have to say until you feel it's time, though. *shrugs*

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #5,616 of 23,366
Quote:
All I do remember is that when I listened to the M-100 it wow-ed me. Not many other headphones have done that to me.

AnakChan:

As a point of reference, what other headphones have done that to you?

*  *  *  *  *​

Here's a note regarding a matter which only I seem to care about: 

I've spoken to Customer Service and the orange shields are not color-matched to the orange accessories which come with the matte-black VTF.  

If you're no longer in your 20s and concerned that loud color combinations will make you look as if you're having a midlife crisis, then consider whether you're likely to use the orange accessories before you choose a bright shield color.  I'm contemplating changing mine to matte or brushed metal black, gunmetal or silver.  Crock seems unlikely because my shield art will be calligraphy, and I can't see that working well with a textured shield.

Nearly everyone else is ordering the VFT in white (which will have gray accessories), so the color-matching question doesn't matter quite as much.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #5,617 of 23,366
Quote:
I am encouraged that you say you were wow-ed.  I really don't want to return any more headphones!

@AnakChan- you were right about the bass regarding the AH-D600.

As long as you guys keep in mind that these are my impressions and it may well vary from ones ears to another. I don't wanna be held responsible for anyone's dissatisfaction with any headphones I consider to be personally sweet to my ears :wink:.

Quote:

AnakChan:

As a point of reference, what other headphones have done that to you?

Fostex TH900, FitEar TG!334 (IEM), & Stax SR-009. Yep I own them too. Well, I'm not about to buy a pair of ear/headphones that don't "Wow" me. Having said that, I may not necessarily buy every headphone that "wow's" me - practical (wife) reasons.

Thank my lucky stars that I live in a place where I can try most of the headphones before buying - and even luckier, the manufacturing/distribution gods have been kind to me to let me demo prototypes, and loaned me products to review.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #5,618 of 23,366
PS. I was in Pittsburgh for a wedding a few weeks ago, also hung out at Southside Works.  Awesome city!

Lol around that time was when I was down in Atlanta Georgia for my sis' wedding! I ought to take my girlfriend out to the southside... maybe once I retrieve my Crossfade LPs from her :wink:
I bought some Koss KSC75 for her that completely disintegrated after a year (how do you wear those with a loose driver housing and no earpads??), but they were perfect for her while they lasted. She loves that "clip-on" style of headphone. So when the Koss stopped working and I thought she was hurting herself physically by trying to wear the remaining working driver, I made her borrow my Crossfades. They're far more durable, but a part of me is concerned because in general nice things don't mix well with my little dancer. *rolls eyes*
I'll probably get her new KSC75s next week for an early B-day present.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #5,619 of 23,366
Quote:
I also have two contingency headphones if the M-100 doesn't work out.  If the contingencies don't work out, I'm retiring from Head-fi, finding another hobby and going back to the stock earbuds that came with my Iphone.

Another for you to cross off your list:

Perfection - It doesn't exist.

Personally, I'm looking to find the balance between "honesty" and "enjoyment."  An analytical slant can be beneficial to excavate technicalities, but it often comes at the expense of engagement.  Finding merit in art is utterly variable; recording mastery and intent/emotion are equally weighted.  Thus far, only two headphones have afforded me my ideal: the HD600 and Edition 8.  However, the former's open-air design is in direct contention with my listening environment and the latter came at what I consider a steep premium. ($1000+ headphone with another $1000+ of complementary kit)  I could pick out specific auditory flaws with either, but in terms of balancing the mind with soul they've performed peerlessly.  Then again, one can cannily liken my joy of the "mid-fi" grind to masochism. :wink:

Quote:

Wow, good to know there's so much crap out there. Wondering if Val feels the same way. (If he does, it means the M-100s are better ;P )

I wouldn't say "crap."  Different flavors for contrasting ears/prefers.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #5,620 of 23,366
Quote:

Why the secrecy about the contingencies? :wink: You don't have to say until you feel it's time, though. *shrugs*

Well hey, he never said they were crap, he just said he didn't like their particular sound signatures (and also potential logetivity for the price range).

I mean, I personally have a pair of ATH-Pro700MK2ANV's, and quite enjoy them. I don't enjoy them as much as, say, my Senn 598's, but they are very stylish and they satisfy my inner basshead. Also, I've had the chance to compare the Anniversary edition and the standard Pro700MK2's, and the ANV's actually offer a little bit of a better mid and treble extension. It's certainly not massive, but it is noticeable.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #5,621 of 23,366
I really want to order the vtf-100 but to me ordering them seems very sketchy. Can someone please provide instructions for exactly what I have to do to ensure the order that I want is exactly what I will get. Also can someone please let me know exactly what extras come with the VTF models, and what exactly those extras do? Thanks a lot.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #5,622 of 23,366
Quote:

Well hey, he never said they were crap, he just said he didn't like their particular sound signatures (and also potential logetivity for the price range).

I mean, I personally have a pair of ATH-Pro700MK2ANV's, and quite enjoy them. I don't enjoy them as much as, say, my Senn 598's, but they are very stylish and they satisfy my inner basshead. Also, I've had the chance to compare the Anniversary edition and the standard Pro700MK2's, and the ANV's actually offer a little bit of a better mid and treble extension. It's certainly not massive, but it is noticeable.

Exactly, with the exception of the D400, the other headphones I listed are good headphones and even excellent in certain areas.  Unfortunately, one can only listen to one headphone at a time, so I am trying to find a single headphone with all of the positive attributes of the headphones listed.  For example, if the Denon D600 had the bass of the PRO700MK2, I would be done looking for a new headphone.  I agree with Curly that the Edition 8 is close to the ideal marriage of honesty and enjoyment.  I find the Signature Pro similar in that regard.  I really want to try the Fostex TH900 based on graphs and reviews, but I am better off staying away in case I like them too much and need to attempt to persuade my wife to cancel our next family vacation for headphones.....wish me luck!

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #5,623 of 23,366
I understand that you get 2 custom shields. So please guide me through it. I want to get the white base, with the grey earpads, and the 2 shield colors I want are silver and gun-metal. I have a custom logo I would like to use. How do I checkout with that?

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #5,624 of 23,366
Quote:
I understand that you get 2 custom shields. So please guide me through it. I want to get the white base, with the grey earpads, and the 2 shield colors I want are silver and gun-metal. I have a custom logo I would like to use. How do I checkout with that?

You only get one pair of custom shields.  To use the custom logo just upload it with the form they give you on the order page.

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #5,625 of 23,366
Quote:
You only get one pair of custom shields.  To use the custom logo just upload it with the form they give you on the order page.

okay but 2 shields total correct. Please guide me through this. So I would want the silver shields with the custom logo, and the gunmetal without the custom logo. Now how can I ensure that is what the results will be? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back