V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #3,408 of 23,366
So just as a recap to newcomers:

The M-100's will…

...be semi-closed cirumaural (AKA over-ear)
...feature 50mm drivers
...have a similar "Modiophile" sound signature of the M-80's
...have more emphasis on the bass than the M-80's; an intermediary between the LP2 and the M-80 for bass
...be foldable, via hinges, for portable storage
...come in 3 colours [NOTE: PPU's will only be available in shadow black and white silver]:
      shadow black (black base, red accents, brushed-aluminum-like black shields)
      white silver (white base, chrome reflective accents and shields)
      matte black metal (everything is black and metal parts are matte-finished)
...use the same "Ear Shields" as the LP/LP2
...come with 3 cables:
      1 iPhone-compatible cable with controls/microphone
      1 Android-compatible cable with microphone
      1 audio-only cable with headphone splitter
...be expected to be released in the late July-early August time frame (might be delayed)
...be expected to be priced at around the $300 USD range

PPU package:
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton

We'll setup PP units on site and give custom options, in the meantime everybody can select their custom graphics and colors.  We'll include the stock shields PLUS custom kit soo we can laser engrave and photograph your custom kit first.

According to multiple people, V-Moda's PPU's will apparently be of the same quality as the final-release product.

Check out AnakChan's overview of the M-100's as of 2012-06-25.

White silver (not the M-100's, but it's a similar appearance) and matte black metal M-100's

Shadow black and white silver M-100's
Kudos to valkolton

M-100's folded up
Kudos to SpiderNhan

Kudos to Currawong

Close-up of the hinge (while open)
Kudos to Alpha101

M-100's carrying case
Kudos to AnakChan

Size comparison for the M-100's carrying case
Kudos to valkolton

Proposed retail box for the M-100's
Kudos to valkolton

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #3,409 of 23,366
Val,

If you have the time, do you think it would be possible to upload photos on the V-Moda website showing what each headphone look like with each shield and ear pad colour (e.g. a White Pearl Crossfade LP with Ocean Blue plates and Black Ear Pad Colour)?

This would probably be really helpful to customers who have a hard time deciding which colour combination to get.

I know you are extremely busy at the moment trying to pump out the PPU's and final-release products, so this is of low-priority to you; I just wanted to chime in some feedback for how the customer-buying experience can be improved for the official V-Moda online store.

Thank you again for your time and commitment in trying to create the perfect headphones for us, it is much appreciated.

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #3,410 of 23,366
Val,

If you have the time, do you think it would be possible to upload photos on the V-Moda website showing what each headphone look like with each shield and ear pad colour (e.g. a White Pearl Crossfade LP with Ocean Blue plates and Black Ear Pad Colour)?

This would probably be really helpful to customers who have a hard time deciding which colour combination to get.

I know you are extremely busy at the moment trying to pump out the PPU's and final-release products, so this is of low-priority to you; I just wanted to chime in some feedback for how the customer-buying experience can be improved for the official V-Moda online store.

Thank you again for your time and commitment in trying to create the perfect headphones for us, it is much appreciated.

You could try this for now:http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp-custom/
It's not much but it's a point of reference for some custom theme samples.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #3,412 of 23,366
I agree it'd be helpful to show the different plate colors with a good photo shoot on actual headphones, not just the same plate with the color altered in Photoshop.  The shield color layers in the Photoshop download don't represent anodized aluminum colors properly.   I say this as someone who's been toying with different designs in Photoshop on the downloadable template the past couple days.

Going one step further, I think it would be really cool if the V-MODA website had some kind of Flash/HTML5 based customization thing where you could choose your headphones, the plate colors, and upload a compatible custom engraving design to see how they would look on a particular color with a picture of real headphones.  Maybe even on someone's head to get an idea of how they would look being worn.  That would be so cool actually.

That's such a good idea I should charge Val a pair of M-100s for it.
Val just send me a PM and I'll let you know where to send them.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #3,413 of 23,366

I've removed some unnecessary argumentative posts. Please people, read the Posting Guidelines and make sure to follow them, because I don't want to have to delete any more. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #3,414 of 23,366
Apologies for all of my posts - Didn't realize how annoying I was. I didn't notice how many times I recommended it, since it was spaced out over a few weeks, but I guess mentioned it far more than enough times.. Looking back on it - I was kind-of ridiculous.

Anyway, to Largemouth Bas, WiRED, and anyone else who was annoyed by me, I apologize. I think we're all excited for the headphones, but when I get interested in something, I tend to ask a lot of questions, and get really curious. I was like that with both the M50's and the TMA-1's. Again, I didn't want to be seen as annoying or anything, so I'm sorry. I guess all we can really do is wait now -  which bugs me. I just hope that the M-100's impress all of us when they are finally released - I think that'd be great.

PS: Me asking about white shields wasn't me telling val to do anything - it was just me wondering if it was possible at all, considering they have no white shields, and even chrome can't be engraved. Apologies again if it was misunderstood.

Quote:
I've removed some unnecessary argumentative posts. Please people, read the Posting Guidelines and make sure to follow them, because I don't want to have to delete any more. 
beerchug.gif

Thank you - and I apologize for my part in it all.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #3,415 of 23,366
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Damn.... and I thought I got away with it. But its all cool, the point was made. Can't you rename this thread to V-Moda Lounge? because that is seriously what it is now.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #3,416 of 23,366
Quote:
Damn.... and I thought I got away with it. But its all cool, the point was made. Can't you rename this thread to V-Moda Lounge? because that is seriously what it is now.

Agreed - we could also move the M-100-specific discussion to the thread in the full-size forum: V-MODA M-100 Non-Fanboy Feedback; since that's stayed on-topic so far. We'd just need to change the name there to V-MODA M-100 Feedback & Reviews, as to not give it a negative connotation. 

Aren't these 'full-size' headphones anyway? (I think we've talked about this, but I don't think anyone came to a consensus.)

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #3,417 of 23,366
I would like to applaud Val for NOT commenting or posting when there is nothing new to post.  I think preproduction interest peaked (or is it piqued?) to early and now we are twiddling our thumbs waiting for the PPUs because there is really nothing of substance left to say about the M-100 until we hear them.  Of course, this may not be intentional on Val's part.  He may just be too busy with production which is also a good thing. 

I have been going back and forth on color choice, today I will go with white. 

For anyone who has actually heard the M-100 (AnakChan), I would love to hear more about midrange detail, particularly female vocals, compared to other high end cans since we have heard so much about the bass which I think will be ideal.  I'm really looking forward to a Steve Guttenberg review since I tend to agree with him more than Tyll.

P.S.  Reading between the lines, IMHO, I think it is likely V-Moda will launch a universal portable headphone amp (compact, rechargeable, no DAC) under $200 with the launch of the M-100 or shortly thereafter.  As with Vamp, it may be a modified rebrand- maybe a FiiO E12????  The market is too big to ignore and I think Val was dipping his toe in the water with Vamp.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #3,418 of 23,366
Quote:
I would like to applaud Val for NOT commenting or posting when there is nothing new to post.  I think preproduction interest peaked (or is it piqued?) to early and now we are twiddling our thumbs waiting for the PPUs because there is really nothing of substance left to say about the M-100 until we hear them.  Of course, this may not be intentional on Val's part.  He may just be too busy with production which is also a good thing. 

I have been going back and forth on color choice, today I will go with the white. 

For anyone who has actually heard the M-100 (AnakChan), I would love to hear more about midrange detail, particularly female vocals, compared to other high end cans since we have heard so much about the bass which I think will be ideal.  I'm really looking forward to a Steve Guttenberg review since I tend to agree with him more than Tyll.

+1 on all points.  I'm also looking at white - depends how reflective the "silver" is, but that's for another discussion.

The people at CNET do good reviews for headphones, especially Steve.
Let's just hope that apple doesn't release heir own headphones - then we're in trouble. (I kid, I kid.) 
biggrin.gif

The main points I need filled are bass extension (and punch), non-sibilant, but detailed treble, and a good mid-range.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #3,419 of 23,366
I'm personally more a measurements guy when I know what to look for and how to translate that to my own personal tastes and therefore I patiently await Tyll's measurements. :) Of course they don't tell the full picture but a whole lot, besides frequency response balance you can get a sense of the speed, treble harshness vs softness, imaging from Tyll's measurements but yea of course I check both measurements and reviews but I like Tyll's reviews for the measurements. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back