V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 1, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #23,266 of 23,366
Probably because it's expensive af and possibly because of a change in management who don't even know the event or its value.

Gotta have decent reps to go to each location too, but honestly, I think it's mainly the points I made at the beginning.

I can definitely see your point about it being expensive to send V-Moda reps halfway around the world on business, but what's so mind-boggling is how they didn't even exhibit at CanJam SoCal this June. The event was located right in the same metro area as V-Moda's international headquarters and warehouse!

Weird....

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #23,267 of 23,366
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #23,268 of 23,366
You made a purchase decision based off an Amazon review???

I based my decision on lots of factors over the last several weeks, not just one. Probably at least 15-20 different factors.

You can browse through my numerous posts on the topic thread for the M-100 Master for more details.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #23,269 of 23,366
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #23,270 of 23,366
Here's another negative review on Amazon of the new M-100 Master. He also seems to prefer the original M-100, as well.
Oh, another Amazon review. You didn’t try the new model...

To my ears, the Master is more neutral and balanced compared to the original. EQ is fine on the Master.

Just a bit unusual that you ordered a bunch of the original models without even trying the new model for yourself. Now you gotta convince yourself that the original model is superior.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #23,271 of 23,366
To my ears, the Master is more neutral and balanced compared to the original. EQ is fine on the Master.

Are you doing extreme EQ'ing and amping as I've been up to throughout the last 4 years?

In my portable system with everything combined, 40 Hz typically gets a grand-total boost of 30-60 dB for most songs. And this is with it running though a Cayin C5 portable amp, which probably does about 900 mW RMS.

So the last thing I want is a headphone that's more "neutral-sounding."

Just a bit unusual that you ordered a bunch of the original models without even trying the new model for yourself. Now you gotta convince yourself that the original model is superior.

Damn right I do! :left_facing_fist: Ha ha

Well, actually, nearly all of the positive reviews I've read have been unconvincing to my tastes, and the negative reviews (that prefer the original M-100 over the new kind) have made more sense to what I value in a headphone.

I'd also like to get my hands on some extra pairs of the original M-100 while its availability and prices are still good -- especially now that V-Moda has stopped producing it.

So anyway, it looks like you'll just have to enjoy your new thing, and I'll keep on lovin' my old one.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #23,272 of 23,366
Here's one aspect that the original M-100 probably really clobbers the new model at: producing a hard-hitting lower-midbass thump! :L3000:

Here's an awesome K-pop song that I have in my music collection that can be used to test this capability:

Thump, thump, thump, thump! :ksc75smile:

(In my EQ-preset app, on this song I use the preset "Cool Less Treble 5" (in the Cayin C5 set), and with a small precut of 3 dB. With everything combined in the system, this preset boosts 40 Hz by a grand total of +41 dB, and 64 Hz by +23.5 dB.)

On some of those reviews on Amazon, the guy with the long, positive review of the new model said the M-100 Master has about 6 dB less bass than the original M-100 (which will sound half as loud).

The guy with the "awesome" negative review said the new model puts out about "60%" less bass.

So I'm assuming this pertains to both the sensitivity of the bass, plus the SPL capability as well.

Oh well...just thought I'd have a little fun posting this...to raise a little hell for the heck of it. (ha) Enjoy the cool song.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #23,273 of 23,366
Here's a response-curve comparison between the original M-100 (top), and the M-100 Master (bottom). Glad I'm sticking with the original model! :clap:

9941095_l.jpg

9941094_l.jpg

Aug 9, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #23,274 of 23,366
Well, here it is, folks: my reasons for rejecting the new M-100 Master without even personally listening to it (in no particular order). Bon appetit! :v:

1. I do extreme EQ'ing and amping with my portable setup, and everything I've read leads me to believe that the original M-100 is better-suited for that purpose than the new model. For example, in my portable system with everything combined, 40 Hz typically gets a grand-total boost of 30-60 dB for most songs. And it is running though a Cayin C5 portable amp, which probably does about 900 mW RMS.

2. The language that V-Moda uses (on their website) to introduce the new model...doesn't contain any buzzwords that would spark my interest over the original model. Nothing about increased power handling, X-max, or sub-bass sensitivity.

3. I could care less about "Hi-Res Audio" stickers and 40,000 Hz. The original model already sounds great as it is.

4. I'm unenthusiastic and unconvinced about the things most of the positive reviews for the new model say, and the negative reviews for it make a lot more sense for what I value in a headphone. I love my bassy headphones and my lossy MP3s at my longtime chosen bitrate of 192 kbps.

5. According to most reviews and charts, the new model has less bass and flatter treble than the original. I prefer a more V-shaped sound.

6. The new model uses the same driver as the Crossfade 2 Wireless (CF2W) that came out in 2017 -- a model which I'm also unenthusiastic about and passed over, as well.

7. My EQ-preset app is used to adjust the sub-bass, midbass, and treble to match each song that's currently playing on the original M-100 -- correcting the midbass / lower-midrange bloat that tends to occur with a lot of songs on the original M-100 without an EQ. My app gives the original M-100 an amazing soundstage and presence -- and with its excellent sub-bass sensitivity that also enables it to "hit" and "throb" at the same time.

In other words, I can already make the original M-100 sound awesome as it is. The extra "soundstage benefit" of the new model is utterly moot for me.

8. I'm concerned that the new model has less sub-bass (and midbass) sensitivity and SPL capability than the original model -- especially with the thicker earpads creating a larger interior earcup enclosure space that the bass has to fill up, and without any better drivers (for this purpose) that can overcome this loss.

9. The new model doesn't create enough of an added benefit to me...in order to justify a huge revision of all my 2 sets of more that 600 custom EQ presets in my app. I'd have to figure out an "adjustment formula" to make it sound similar to my original M-100s, and then modify each and every one of these 1200+ presets for the new headphone model. That's a heck of a big project, and is simply not worth it in this case.

10. Now for the sad reasons. Much to my disappointment and dismay, the entire headphone industry seems to be moving away from headphones that have very much bass emphasis. Whether browsing the Head-Fi forums, whether visiting the local hi-fi headphone shop in my home city recently, or even while surfing V-Moda's website, it is all very clear that bassy headphones are not only not being improved upon for "hardcore basshead" tastes and purposes, but these models are also being phased out and discontinued from sales and production, as well. Very, very sad. :disappointed:

Because this is the general trend in the headphone industry, I have every reason to believe that V-Moda's new M-100 Master is also following in this direction, as well: toward less bass emphasis.

11. I've really been disappointed with the direction V-Moda has gone in since it merged with Roland in 2016. Val Kolton sold 70% of his ownership stake in V-Moda to Roland in August 2016, and then sold his remaining stake to Roland in early 2019. Val is no longer there at V-Moda, it's unclear whether V-Moda's design studio in Milan, Italy, still exists there or not, and V-Moda no longer exhibits at any of Head-Fi's CanJam festivals -- not even the one in the Los Angeles metro area where V-Moda's international headquarters and warehouse are located! Neither Val nor any V-Moda staff make any more posts on Head-Fi, nor do they interact with the users and fans on Head-Fi anymore as they did years ago, either. Really, really sad.

12. Saddest of all...V-Moda told me in an e-mail that they no longer are manufacturing any additional units of the original M-100. So once they sell out of what's left in their inventory, that's it. So not only is Val Kolton gone from V-Moda, but his ultimate pride and joy (i.e., the original M-100) will also be gone from V-Moda sooner or later, as well. In fact, personally, I plan on unsubscribing from V-Moda's e-mail list in the near future, as they've sadly gone off in a different direction than where my tastes and preferences are.

13. Because the new M-100 Master isn't available in China yet (where I live), because I personally can't listen to a pair in any convenient and economical way right now, and because I'd like to grab a couple of unused extra pairs of the original M-100 while I still can (and still get a warranty on them), then this situation has totally forced my hand and has forced me to act now based on the information I have.

14. On average, one of my M-100 headphone drivers tends to wear out and get blown about once every two years, due to the extreme sub-bass of my system. I need a couple of unused new pairs right now while I can still get them with a warranty, so I can start using them immediately in my dual-listening setup. This way, I can make sure they aren't lemons. All my other pairs of M-100s can be relegated to "spare-tire" status: to be used as backup. And this is the way it's going to be for many more years, or even longer.

---------------------------------
So ladies and gentlemen, that's what's been happening. Hopefully I'm making a little more sense now. :ok_hand:

Oh well....

LONG LIVE THE ORIGINAL M-100!

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #23,275 of 23,366
Phew! I've finally got those two new unused pair of original M-100s that I ordered (Matte Black and Shadow Black) that closely match the sound of my old three other pair of M-100s that I've had for 2 to 4 1/2 years.

I initially received the two new pair 8 days ago. But unfortunately, the Shadow Black pair didn't hit as hard as the new Matte Black pair and all my other old ones, and didn't match the sound quality of all the other 4 pair (both new and old), either. So I sent that Shadow Black pair back to the retailer on Tmall (located in Guangzhou) with a detailed letter I'd written in Chinese explaining the problem. But all the shop owner could do was give me a full refund for that pair.

So then, I found another retailer on Tmall, located in Shenzhen, which must be fairly new. They also sell Shadow Black and Matte Black M-100s for 200 RMB cheaper ($30 USD cheaper) than the first retailer. So I immediately ordered a Shadow Black pair from them, and it arrived today.

The result: Boo-yah! It closely matches the sound quality and hits as hard as all the other new and old pairs of M-100s I've got!

So I went to V-Moda's website and successfully registered both new pair of headphones (from the registration #'s and serial #'s), which also match the serial #'s printed on the headbands, as well.

But what was weird was that it said, "This is your 1st V-Moda product you have registered," and then, "This is the 2nd V-Moda product you have registered."

That's funny...because years ago I also registered all my other M-100s on V-Moda's website with the same e-mail address. I guess now that Roland fully owns V-Moda, they must've overhauled their product registration system, or something. Oh well....

Anyway, I see that V-Moda has released a new "808 Limited Edition" of their new M-100 Master. And while the Roland TR-808 was a great drum machine, I am now totally unenthusiastic about V-Moda's "808 Day" (i.e., August 8, 2016, when they officially merged with Roland), as you can understand in my post above.

Anyway, in the next few weeks I might take a photo of all 5 pair of original M-100s I have and post it here, but I'll see what I feel like doing. I'm just glad I'm hunkered down now for the coming years with the best pairs of "out-of-print" headphones that money can buy! :)

------------------------------------
(edit)

P.S.: Each M-100 product box I received...included one of those cool postcard-thingies from "V-Moda founder and CEO, Val Kolton." That was a nice, warm touch to receiving my two new pair of headphones -- especially now that V-Moda's website no longer mentions him at all. (Just thought I'd tell you this.)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #23,276 of 23,366
No new posts on the new M-100 Master thread (by anyone) for more than a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ghost: And the new model's barely been out for a month!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now...just compare that with the history of this (original M-100) topic thread, along with the histories of the original Crossfade Wireless and Crossfade 2 Wireless threads.

Looks like the new M-100 Master must be having a popularity problem on its hands....

And not just here on Head-Fi; look at the page on Amazon. A mere 5 reviews in its first month: two with 5 stars, one with 3 stars, one with 2, and one with 1.

(The latest "Vine Customer Review" (that gave it 2 stars) says the M-100 Master is too "bass heavy," which reinforces my idea that V-Moda has been making a mistake in recent years by trying to appeal more to staunch audiophiles like him, instead of hardcore bassheads.)

By contrast on Amazon, look at the first 17 reviews of the original M-100 in late 2012 during its first month out. (You'll have to scroll down to the button that says " <---- Previous page " to read more from that time period.) Of those first 17 reviews, 15 of them had 5 stars, and two had 4 stars.

And from the latest four reviews from this past month in July-August 2019 (for the original M-100), all four of them have given it 5 stars. :thumbsup:

So, yeah...there's quite a difference.

Looks like V-Moda are selling renaming all inventory and my guess is they are on the way out. 12-18 months and the V-Moda name will be gone.

Damn, Oldmate! :astonished: You might be right about that.

If this happens, then maybe you can start a new topic thread somewhere on here called, "Oldmate Was Right." :blush:

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #23,279 of 23,366
A toothy critter appears to have gnawed one of the earpads on my OG M-100s. My desk looks like a crime scene. You can even see the stuffing.

This is especially disturbing because I myself have not adopted a toothy critter. Swerves me reich, I sup hose, for not keeping my Ms in the case.

Now to find updated and, ideally, reasonable replacements for the pads -- perhaps the standard and plush variety, if I can locate both.

Shortcuts, anyone?

(It's going to be a pain in the hasp to search for the best installation instructions on this hyah thread, but I'm game if not gamey.)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #23,280 of 23,366
A toothy critter appears to have gnawed one of the earpads on my OG M-100s. My desk looks like a crime scene. You can even see the stuffing.

This is especially disturbing because I myself have not adopted a toothy critter. Swerves me reich, I sup hose, for not keeping my Ms in the case.

Now to find updated and, ideally, reasonable replacements for the pads -- perhaps the standard and plush variety, if I can locate both.

Shortcuts, anyone?

(It's going to be a pain in the hasp to search for the best installation instructions on this hyah thread, but I'm game if not gamey.)

Just get the XL pads and be done with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back