New V Moda Crossfade M100 Master
Aug 4, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #121 of 208
The pads introduced with the CF2 are a bit less deep than the original XL pads, but as I understand they use memory foam instead, so overall fit should be better than with the XL pads. CF2 and Master use the same pads as far as I know (and the do look the same).

I would have appreciated a larger inner opening, but yes, they are more comfortable than the original M-100 pads. With the Master (and the CF2 Codex) I did not stretch out the headband, clamping force is OK for me (with the original M-100 it was a bit high, so I did stretch the headband).

Its hard to get a recommendation right... to me the bass on the Master sounds better than with the other variants, clearer but still with lots of impact. A bit too much midbass was always my main critical point with the M-100, this is resolved with the Master (with the CF2 Codex right behind them). All of them have a very tasteful elevation of bass, but the Master hits my target best: I like bass strong but with good resolution (i.e. not simply resonating just for the pure amount of bass but showing details and control) and not hitting too hard (i.e. more sub- than midbass).

Noted, I'll go ahead and get the M100 Master without the XL pads for now, and if they feel a bit uncomfortable, I'll try to clamp them over a sizable box for a night or two to ease the tension.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #122 of 208
Noted, I'll go ahead and get the M100 Master without the XL pads for now, and if they feel a bit uncomfortable, I'll try to clamp them over a sizable box for a night or two to ease the tension.

You can stretch the headband by hand, it’s quite robust. Just be sure to hold it at turnende of the headband, not at the cups. There was once a video by V-Moda on Horntops do that properly

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #123 of 208
You can stretch the headband by hand, it’s quite robust. Just be sure to hold it at turnende of the headband, not at the cups. There was once a video by V-Moda on Horntops do that properly

Yep, that's how I adjusted my M80s as well.
I figured if they were too tight, I might need to adjust for a longer period of time so would just keep them on a sizable box, I guess we'll see once they arrive.

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #124 of 208
I've been thinking about exchanging my original M-100s via the Immortal Life Program for the 50% off the M-100 Masters, but since I am an international customer from Canada, I will have to snip the two cables that connect the ear cups and send them a video, but I just can't put myself to destroy a perfectly working headphone. :disappointed_relieved:

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #125 of 208
I've been thinking about exchanging my original M-100s via the Immortal Life Program for the 50% off the M-100 Masters, but since I am an international customer from Canada, I will have to snip the two cables that connect the ear cups and send them a video, but I just can't put myself to destroy a perfectly working headphone. :disappointed_relieved:

I fully understand your pain... and felt the same. Yet I did not use it for at least 1 year. Together with intense usage through the first 4 (?) years I came to the conclusion that keeping the headcount constant is... better than an increase.

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #126 of 208
I ordered these off amazon 2 days ago and I sent them back today. I personally enjoyed the original M100 for just a Bassy fun headphone for travel a few years back despite the poor FR. These seriously suck big time.

If you enjoy messy bloated bass, sucked out mids and screechy treble then this is your headphone.

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #127 of 208
-I will have to snip the two cables that connect the ear cups and send them a video, but I just can't put myself to destroy a perfectly working headphone. :disappointed_relieved:
W-Why... What? What kind of government or corporate entity would force you to do something so pointless, and why?
If you enjoy messy bloated bass, sucked out mids and screechy treble then this is your headphone.
That's quite surprising. You enjoyed the original M100, but consider the Masters to have messy bass and screechy treble? In my experience with the two the difference is subtle and in the opposite direction on all accounts. That almost sounds like they were defective.

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #128 of 208
W-Why... What? What kind of government or corporate entity would force you to do something so pointless, and why?

That's quite surprising. You enjoyed the original M100, but consider the Masters to have messy bass and screechy treble? In my experience with the two the difference is subtle and in the opposite direction on all accounts. That almost sounds like they were defective.
We’re talking a few years now when the M100 first launched.

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #129 of 208

Oh no no, it's because I'm not from the United States. I believe V-MODA doesn't want the customer to waste anymore money on the headphones paying for shipping, and V-MODA themselves would prefer to save some money not paying for shipping, and instead make the customer show video proof that their headphones are no longer functional by cutting those two vital cables, as to prevent someone from getting a new pair of headphones for 50% off whilst keeping their old functioning headphones, which is understandable.

When I read the Immortal Life Program FAQ, it said international customers, or customers outside the United States needed to contact their support e-mail, which I did, and the representative sent me a video. In the video, the instructions are to film yourself taking some wire cutting pliers to the two cables to fully ensure they are destroyed and have a piece of paper with your name and ticket ID written on it somewhere in the recording.

But I personally can't put myself to destroy a perfectly functional pair of headphones, but I'd be fine with V-MODA doing so, as to not feel guilty.

It's not like I absolutely need the M-100 Masters though, I'm still reading and watching reviews, but there isn't much to base my opinion off of like the original M-100 had. I was just thinking of upgrading since my M-100s are truly showing their age, aesthetically. The headband pleather has long been worn off, and I even took the time to fully wipe it all off. The CliqFold mechanism and headband adjuster isn't as snappy as it used to be and the outer wing plates are badly cracked which stemmed from the small crack on the wing plates the headphones shipped with, which was another common issue with the M-100s. But it still sounds just as great as it did 5 years ago, and they are still my primary pair of headphones.

First World problems :p

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #130 of 208
I ordered these off amazon 2 days ago and I sent them back today. I personally enjoyed the original M100 for just a Bassy fun headphone for travel a few years back despite the poor FR. These seriously suck big time.

:thumbsup:

You'll have to post a few fun rants on the topic thread for the original M-100, as I've been doing. Come join the club! :wink:

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #131 of 208
Another new Amazon review that states how muddy these are. So now we have 4-5 reviews pro M100 Master and 4-5 reviews contra M100 Master. Really wonder what's going on here. Not sure if I should still try them. I can always send them back either way but I really don't like sending stuff around.

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #132 of 208
Another new Amazon review that states how muddy these are. So now we have 4-5 reviews pro M100 Master and 4-5 reviews contra M100 Master. Really wonder what's going on here. Not sure if I should still try them. I can always send them back either way but I really don't like sending stuff around.
Funny you post this, I was just going to post that they were my walking partner this morning and the sound is not the least muddy. The bass does not bleed at all and while the mids are recessed, they are clear. The treble extension is similar to the OG but never harsh.

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #133 of 208
**NOT AN AUDIOPHILE**
  1. I decided a few weeks ago to compare the original M-100 and the M-100 Master across genres and with different players / amps.
  2. At first I thought the original had more bass, because it created more of a boom and "rumble" on sub-bass that I could physically feel.
  3. However, over the next few days, I began to sour on it as my ears adjusted to the tighter M-100 Master bass.
  4. Overall, I'd say the bass is very close between the two, but another person who prefers the rumble and doesn't interpret it as distortion like I do, may not agree
  5. To me, I now feel the original M-100 is just distorted, and the M-100 Master is cleaner in all areas but not by miles ... just noticeable by a non-audiophile like me..
  6. I can't really recommend one though because after reading all these 9 pages of comments, it's clear we all have different perceptions and likely hear things differently.
  7. No need to tell me you agree, or don't agree ... I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, just reporting on what my non-audiophile ears detected after a few weeks of comparison
:)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #134 of 208
  1. To me, I now feel the original M-100 is just distorted, and the M-100 Master is cleaner in all areas but not by miles ... just noticeable by a non-audiophile like me.:)

This basically is true. I am not sure what's with all the anti-m100 master rhetoric. There is slightly less rumble, but cleaner overall. Not sure how anyone could say they are a muddy mess, or worse than the originals. They are refined, but basically the same headphone. I really think there is a bad batch or something because both headphones are basically the same. I'd venture a guess that they graph almost identically. But none of the people who have both pairs, or have tried them, have managed to do a side by side.

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #135 of 208
I also find it really strange that 2 of 3 "poor" reviews on Amazon are not verified purchases. The guy who wrote the lengthy pro-review that was unverified is a real owner of the headphone as he's done youtube videos of it and such. Soooo...you may want to take amazon reviews with a grain of salt. My verified purchase review should be up soon.

Lets not all be naive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back