V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #18,046 of 23,366

Never mind I realized it was natural molding.

Yep. It was kinda tolerate the pain for awhile and either your skull would mold to it or your pad will to your skull :D. But the M-100's are as comfortable as it could be.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #18,048 of 23,366
Know what I've noticed? The 'hype' in this thread died RIGHT down as soon as people started getting their headphones.

And not many people have said much bad about them other than their not balanced sound, which frankly, for the greatest amount of people (not head-fi) it lives up to more than it's hype.

I think the thing that makes me feel as though I've spent my money on the best headset in the price range, is the fact that it competes with every other popular headphone, but does everything they do well, 10x better. Soundstage, detail, lush textured and boosted bass (love it or hate it it's what people want) along with build quality like no other, a case that fits in my hoodie, and stylish to boot. 

I think the hype is well deserved. 

Oh and I can definitely attest to the audiophile grade in these headphones. TIFWIW but the detail and instrument separation, imo, make these headphones a little unforgiving, I'm hearing artefacts in EDM songs, and can pick out weird studio mixing in rock tracks I haven't heard before. If that's not details coming from the studio mix, I don't know what audiophiles are looking for. I'll state here I consider myself an audiophile, but I use the term loosely, as someone who prefers hi-fi sound, but not  necessarily neutrality. So I'll say again, I agree these are audiophile headphones, but made to meet general consumer demand, not necessarily head-fi's demand.

Very well said.I hear all the details when listening to rock.And percussionists will love this can.I think people who are not used to boosted or pronounced bass like this are probably distracted from the other details from other frequencies and mistake this for recessed mids or highs.But equalization will show its all there.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #18,049 of 23,366
Very well said.I hear all the details when listening to rock.And percussionists will love this can.I think people who are not used to boosted or pronounced bass like this are probably distracted from the other details from other frequencies and mistake this for recessed mids or highs.But equalization will show its all there.

lol... isn't the definition of recessed mids having the other frequencies boosted/pronounced and overshadowing the mids? the guitars definitely sound a bit muffled on the M100s and I've definitely heard headphones that present the midrange details much better. however, there's nothing wrong with a v-shaped sound signature though. Very great for most genres (edm, hip hop, pop). I would personally use something else for classical, rock, alternative, or metal.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #18,050 of 23,366
Just did a brief comparison with my new amperiors and to me, with bass boost on my amplifier (jds c5) on, the amperiors has greater thump (not as deep though) but cleaner sounding through the mids and highs than the v modas. I actually kinda prefer the sound signature.

I want to get the XL pads because its really uncomfy for me with current ones but if the mids are gonna be more recessed than thats not so good. 

NIce pic of them posing together :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #18,051 of 23,366
Just did a brief comparison with my new amperiors and to me, with bass boost on my amplifier (jds c5) on, the amperiors has greater thump (not as deep though) but cleaner sounding through the mids and highs than the v modas. I actually kinda prefer the sound signature.

I want to get the XL pads because its really uncomfy for me with current ones but if the mids are gonna be more recessed than thats not so good. 

NIce pic of them posing together :)

For $20 it's worth trying the XL pads, as not everyone hears the same results. I felt it did nothing but improve the headphone.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #18,052 of 23,366
Having once again another issue with my V-Moda M100's, and this one isn't a gripe on sound quality.
I'm getting SEVERE headaches while listening to them.
Could be from the sound pressure, or the heavy low bass notes.
It's not from the headband or the comfort of them, even though I find them slightly heavy.
I have stretched the headband out and they fit pretty well.
But man, oh man, the headaches are next level.
Such a shame, these headphones have been a disappointment on pretty much every level.
Especially considering the hype.
This solidifies that they will be going back to V-Moda before the 60 day trial is over.
I'll be buying either some high quality bookshelf speakers, or the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs instead.

Anyways, just wanted to update - even though no one probably gives a ****!
basshead.gif

-Gorefiend

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #18,053 of 23,366
Having once again another issue with my V-Moda M100's, and this one isn't a gripe on sound quality.
I'm getting SEVERE headaches while listening to them.
Could be from the sound pressure, or the heavy low bass notes.
It's not from the headband or the comfort of them, even though I find them slightly heavy.
I have stretched the headband out and they fit pretty well.
But man, oh man, the headaches are next level.
Such a shame, these headphones have been a disappointment on pretty much every level.
Especially considering the hype.
This solidifies that they will be going back to V-Moda before the 60 day trial is over.
I'll be buying either some high quality bookshelf speakers, or the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs instead.

Anyways, just wanted to update - even though no one probably gives a ****!
:basshead:

-Gorefiend

I get that sometimes.
It's actually from the tightness of the headphone on your head. Try loosen them out a bit.
Also try the XL pads. It could be a comfort issue.
You could try getting a bass reducer or application that EQs to reduce bass. It may be the volume you are listening.

I go quarter-deaf temporarily from bass in my left ear at times, very rarely. I can't listen to music up as loud either like I used to.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #18,055 of 23,366
ugh, the plastic piece that you put the earpads in broke a little :S

I hope they can send me a new plastic piece so i can repair it.

Sadly the only part of the headset that is plastic is also put under the most pressure when you pull out the pads... i was so delicate with them too

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #18,056 of 23,366
  I have loosened them up considerably, in fact almost too much.
But yeah, I'm going to mess around with the EQ next before giving up completely.

-Gorefiend

I think you just need to take breaks in between listening sessions.  I get crazy headaches if I listen to them nearly continuously for 8+ hours and it's not just with the M100's.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #18,057 of 23,366
For $20 it's worth trying the XL pads, as not everyone hears the same results. I felt it did nothing but improve the headphone.

For me when I put the XL pads on the most notable difference in sound,was the bigger sound stage.Comfort wise they are a big improvement.And i don't find that much difference in mids.Not to the point others have stated.I have not A B compared the pads yet as they are a pain to change.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #18,058 of 23,366
Okay I switched back to the stock pads and yes the XL pads do recess the mids.The stock pads do keep the sound more balanced.Quite a bit too.Details and highs are more vivid also.Oh well back to on ears.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #18,059 of 23,366
ugh, the plastic piece that you put the earpads in broke a little :S

I hope they can send me a new plastic piece so i can repair it.

Sadly the only part of the headset that is plastic is also put under the most pressure when you pull out the pads... i was so delicate with them too

V-MODA won't send you any parts. Don't try to repair it yourself, either.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #18,060 of 23,366

For me when I put the XL pads on the most notable difference in sound,was the bigger sound stage.Comfort wise they are a big improvement.And i don't find that much difference in mids.Not to the point others have stated.I have not A B compared the pads yet as they are a pain to change.

Everyone is different. i liked the bigger soundstage and put it down to 'better sound'. I can't go back to stock pads, it's weird.

On terms of practicability, stock pads are better since you don't feel them on your ear as much. XL pads you can feel but it's like wearing clothes; you get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back