V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #18,016 of 23,366

how much different is a 1000 dollar can actually compared to a 300 dollar portable? just curious.
Does it sound more open? more like expensive 2.1 speaker towers? :D

Comparing my M-100s to my Sig DJ, you are paying for a much higher level of resolution, detail retrieval and an overall cleaner, more accurate, transparent sound and bigger soundstage except for the bass which is elevated.  Friends and family members who are not audiophiles and have compared both easily notice the difference in "clarity".  In other words, you get what you pay for with some degree of diminishing return.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #18,018 of 23,366
  Comparing my M-100s to my Sig DJ, you are paying for a much higher level of resolution, detail retrieval and an overall cleaner, more accurate, transparent sound and bigger soundstage except for the bass which is elevated.  Friends and family members who are not audiophiles and have compared both easily notice the difference in "clarity".  In other words, you get what you pay for with some degree of diminishing return.

hahah. +1 diminishing returns.

for $1000, you can pick up a M100 + HE400 + Q701 + Fiio E17... or you can get the LCD-2 + the bottlehead crack.

headphones are only worth it if you really like their sound signature & it matches well w/ your music. obviously, Craigster wldn't trade his Sig Dj for either of those options above, but everyone has different tastes, so it's hard to say.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #18,019 of 23,366

for $1000, you can pick up a M100 + HE400 + Q701 + Fiio E17... or you can get the LCD-2 + the bottlehead crack.

headphones are only worth it if you really like their sound signature & it matches well w/ your music. obviously, Craigster wldn't trade his Sig Dj for either of those options above, but everyone has different tastes, so it's hard to say.

Yeah I also think the main difference is sound sig, for example I have the ath m50 and ES700. And I cant tell a difference in '''sound quality'' I can tell a different sound sig though. However these headphones are the same price class

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #18,020 of 23,366

There are diminishing returns, the extent of which is subjective though.  Everybody places a different value on a dollar.  Personally, I feel like you try to impose your value of a dollar onto everybody else.  Some people would much rather have 1 great headphone that does what they want it to than 3 headphones for different purposes.   

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #18,021 of 23,366
  There are diminishing returns, the extent of which is subjective though.  Everybody places a different value on a dollar.  Personally, I feel like you try to impose your value of a dollar onto everybody else.  Some people would much rather have 1 great headphone that does what they want it to than 3 headphones for different purposes.   

I do agree with that, to one person 100 dollar for earbuds is outrageous, while for others, thats the lower end of the spectrum.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #18,027 of 23,366
Just got my M100's for Christmas and I have extremely mixed feelings about them.
For the most part leaning towards the negatives.
I'll start out and say these are open box from V-Moda directly.
Given that they may be defective.

The sound quality is nice and loud.
Unfortunately the mids are extremely recessed.
The highs are nice and airy and the soundstage is fine.
However I'm having issues with lots of crackles and pops.
Whether the drivers are blown or something I have no idea to be honest.

More than likely I will be sending them back for a few reasons.
They seem fantastic only on electronic music, while struggling on almost anything else.
Now don't get me wrong they can handle a wide range of genres.
I just feel that they don't offer anything special that another pair of cans wouldn't do much better.
MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs or Sennheiser Momentums for example might be more up my alley.

Disappointed, but hey it's all good.
I will say my musical tastes have changed greatly as electronic was really the only thing I cared about.
So essentially it's really my own fault for buying these cans.
They are comfortable, durable, and have some fantastic and incredibly accurate bass.
Just not entirely sure these are the end all be all cans for me, that's all.

-Gorefiend 

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #18,028 of 23,366
Might be defective since there's crackles and pops out of yours, Gorefiend. Althought I'm a loving owner of the M100s though, I do have to agree the mids are somewhat recessed. I set my default EQ on poweramp to aleviate this, but..yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back