V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #10,591 of 23,366
Quote:
Shame you didn't hear the DogPad version of MadDogs. From what I've heard, you'd probably have liked the leather DogPads much better than Shurepads. It's a little warmer, and the bass extension is supposedly impressive. 

I also got to shortly demo many of the phones you did recently. albeit in not so ideal conditions (BBR in Toronto), and being so quick but, I entirely agree with what you say about the K/Q 701/2, the K550, in that I was impressed with everything above 300hz, but I didn't get any seal whatsoever, thanks glasses And the HD650 is just simply divine. 

Oh wait, the Mad Dogs had the DogPad, the Mayflower had the Shure pads. I did find the Mad Dogs to be warmer than the Mayflower. The extension of the Mad Dogs was good but the M-100's had more rumble; I found the Mad Dog's bass to be a bit loose on the other hand.

I just realized...I didn't try the Mad Dogs on my own rig. -.- that was a stupid decision considering my rig was literally 1 meter away...

Quote:
@miceblue- looking forward to comparisons from your impressive collection.  I am also in full agreement regarding the PRO900- the treble-OUCH!!!!!!

This was actually at a local Head-Fi meet. I don't have the money to buy all of these headphones. >_<

Random note, at this meet I accidentally knocked the M-100's off the table onto the hard carpet floor and the earcup disconnected from the metal yokes. Fortunately the plastic pieces on the yoke didn't break off and the M-100's function just as well. Kind of a scary experience especially during an audio meet.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #10,592 of 23,366
I decided I want an amplifier. Everyone here seems to enjoy the M-100's more with them.
Still debating which: E7, E07K (better than E7), E11, E17, E12 (Coming soon).
I feel enough bass, so don't think a ZO2 would really suite me.

Looking for details to be brought out more. Anything upcoming (I can wait a couple months max XD)? Or any suggestions to current products I haven't listed?

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #10,593 of 23,366
Quote:
I decided I want an amplifier. Everyone here seems to enjoy the M-100's more with them.

Looking for details to be brought out more. Anything upcoming (I can wait a couple months max XD)? Or any suggestions to current products I haven't listed?

FiiO is launching the E12/Monte Carlo in a few weeks.  It is their flagship portable amp (no DAC).  See the forum for more info and pics.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #10,594 of 23,366

Schiit just came out with their Magni/Modi amp/DAC combo at $99 apiece. That's what I'm looking to pick up in a couple weeks for the M-100's I'm getting.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #10,595 of 23,366
DacportLX if u prefer a cigar off your lappy.:cool:
Clear, dark background, powerful.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #10,597 of 23,366
Quote:

The E7 is pretty good for what you pay for, the E17 I've read is even better and worth the price difference from the E7. I don't know much about the E07K nor the E12.

From a pure amp standpoint, I've read that the E11 is better than the E7 as I was doing a little research between the two before I decided on the E7 (I like the idea of having an external soundcard as opposed to just an amp).
If you're looking for just an amp, you're willing to pay for the E17, and portability isn't a factor, I would highly recommend the Objective2 amp as it is by far the best amp I've heard in-person without balanced inputs. People at the meet today were pretty darn impressed with its output, except for its ability to drive an LCD-2 rev 2 (the bass was a bit loose compared to a more powerful amplifier).

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #10,598 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Oh I was listening with the Objective2. I tried the ZO2 at a local Head-Fi meet today, so my ability to test specific tracks with the ZO2 right now is non-existent since I'm back at home. XD

The instrument at 5:50 isn't a guitar, it might be a Guzheng (Chinese zither).

I should note that I'm listen to the O2/ODAC and E7 as a USB option. I can try it as a straight-up amp if you want. I don't have Spotify Premium so I can't listen to Spotify on an iPod or other mobile device.

With the E7 (bass boost zero), the soundstage isn't as wide, instruments seem closer together and have less air between them but the separation is still pretty good, less shimmer in the "cymbals", upper-treble extension isn't as good, the bass seems less clearly-defined compared to the O2.

Thanks again! :) If you could, that would be great.
I'll probably most likely be listening straight from the S3 or my X-Fi unless I get an E7 or similar, so I know the sound won't be as great as it can be.

Ah yeah, that sound :p Yeah, I love that part of the track!

I'm guessing the O2 isn't a portable option haha

Hm, I get the same kind of observations-ish as I posted earlier with straight-up amping, it depends on your source:
4-year old MacBook
  1. MacBook headphone-out: OK sound
  2. FiiO E7 (line-in connection, bass boost 0) -> M-100 = better sound in my opinion (harder-hitting and cleaner bass, better L/R imaging and instrument separation, slightly more detailed, better upper-treble response)
  3. JDS Labs O2 (line-in connection, fully-charged battery-powered) -> M-100 = better sound than E7 in my opinion (tighter bass that's less boomy but loses some of that chest-thump, midrange is more detailed and slightly less laid back, upper-treble response is smoother/less sharp than E7)

Retina MacBook Pro
  1. MacBook Pro headphone-out: better sound than the setup above with the E7 in my opinion, I was genuinely surprised (lots of chest-thumping bass, very good L/R imaging and instrument separation, relatively speaking, good upper-treble response)
  2. FiiO E7 (line-in connection, bass boost 0) -> M-100 = "meh", I can't tell if it's any better than without the E7 :/ The treble sounds a little grainier/artificial to me and the soundstage is more of that closed-hallway kind of sound (not as good L/R imaging). There is more clarity in the midrange and the bass is tightened up a bit. Strange indeed.
  3. JDS Labs O2 (line-in connection, fully-charged battery-powered) -> M-100 = honestly, there's not a whole lot different from without any amps (bass is tighter and better-controlled, slightly better upper-treble response, a bit more detail with the midrange and it's slightly less laid back, slightly better L/R imaging, better instrument separation)

In short, for an OK source: O2 > FiiO E7 > older source
for good source: O2 > good source > FiiO E7

I'm not sure how an S3 nor an X-Fi sound, so I can't really say whether or not an E7 will be super beneficial to you.

With that track, on my newer MacBook, the E7 makes the song sound warmer (more rich-sounding bass, gentle rolled-off treble), the O2 enhances the M-100's output (better bass rumble, and just a much cleaner-sound overall), and straight out of the MacBook's headphone jack, things sound clearer than with the E7 but at the cost of having a "meh" bass response from the M-100 (with this particular track the bass sounds pretty lean coming from the M-100).

I can say that the O2 and E7 do help the sound output with my portable Sansa Clip Zip media player; both add a nice increase in soundstage, instrument separation, punchier bass response, and more clearly defined treble. I would classify the O2 as transportable. It's not nearly as portable as an E7, but more portable than a full-on desktop amplifier. The O2 certainly does compete with some desktop amplifiers from my experience, so it's fair to say the O2 is a really good transportable amp if you need one.

From what people said about the M-100 at the meet today, they were pretty impressed with it. One person said it does acoustic tracks very well, someone else kept on listening to 2CELLOS with the M-100's, and another person was doing some comparisons between the M-100, a modified AD-D2000, and an Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #10,599 of 23,366
Hey guys ! I own the M100 too and i kinda have some comfort issue. I tried the paper towel method, and it hardly work. The back of my ears still hurt after used. Is there any other method?  And i kinda considering  getting the LP/LP2 memory cushion. How effective is it? Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #10,600 of 23,366
My M-100 finally cracked :D...I was flexing it 'cos the clamping was a little too strong. Well the damage doesn't affect the sound :-

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #10,605 of 23,366
I am curious what you guys think of this song/artist on the M-100s

Ingrid Gerdes – Move  For you spotify types

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVV0IRQri_U&list=UUZWLWygpfadTFbJBgr6LLWA&index=1  New holiday song on Youtube

I personally think this is an example of how vocals can really shine on the M-100s, just need the right music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back