V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #10,608 of 23,366
You have 60 days to decide if you like the headphones or not...if you don't, no questions asked return policy.  No, I haven't personally done it though, I love my M-100s

Ahh well I don't feel the m100 sound signature fits me particularly well... It just doesnt seem well rounded and is too genre specific for me... Might end up going with a conmpletely different open backed pair since portability really doesnt help me much

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #10,609 of 23,366
Hey everyone, 

I have a quick question to ask: My cousin's boyfriend owns a pair of the Crossfade LP's, and when I try them on, my ears touch the driver. (As in, they stick out far enough I guess to touch the mesh that covers the actual speaker) and this creates a relatively uncomfortable listening experience. Does the M-100 have more "Depth" to the ear pads, meaning that there's more space between my ear and the driver? 'Cause I'm almost set on buying them, but if they're going to be rubbing up against my ears the whole time, it will simpyl be too uncomfortable to buy.

Thanks in advance,
~Ty

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #10,611 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey everyone, 

I have a quick question to ask: My cousin's boyfriend owns a pair of the Crossfade LP's, and when I try them on, my ears touch the driver. (As in, they stick out far enough I guess to touch the mesh that covers the actual speaker) and this creates a relatively uncomfortable listening experience. Does the M-100 have more "Depth" to the ear pads, meaning that there's more space between my ear and the driver? 'Cause I'm almost set on buying them, but if they're going to be rubbing up against my ears the whole time, it will simpyl be too uncomfortable to buy.

Thanks in advance,
~Ty

Unfortunately no -- Stuffing some paper towels or other material in between the ear pads and the driver has helped some, but a few of us are still waiting for the thicker ear pads to come out.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #10,612 of 23,366
Thanks Miceblue for those comparisons :)

I may have to opt maybe for an O2... If I'm walking about with it though. No idea where I would put it, haha. Wouldn't want to make it look like I have a certain something permanently!

Either that or the Android specific amp by FiiO or V-Moda.

Hmm... since the O2 is sort of open source, are there any issues from getting it from different people. i.e quality?
I'm doing more research, but I do live in the UK

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #10,615 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks Miceblue for those comparisons :)

I may have to opt maybe for an O2... If I'm walking about with it though. No idea where I would put it, haha. Wouldn't want to make it look like I have a certain something permanently!

Either that or the Android specific amp by FiiO or V-Moda

I think V-MODA's new amp (VERSA) is going to be a device that works across all major mobile platforms (Android, iOS, Windows). But yeah if you're looking for something more portable, the O2 is not something that's easy to carry around. Amazingly enough, it fits fine in my jacket pocket but it's a hassle trying to adjust the volume knob with a bunch of cables in the way.

Quote:
Hey guys ! I own the M100 too and i kinda have some comfort issue. I tried the paper towel method, and it hardly work. The back of my ears still hurt after used. Is there any other method?  And i kinda considering  getting the LP/LP2 memory cushion. How effective is it? Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
ksc75smile.gif

I think the LP/LP2 pads help with the comfort level even though they're a bit smaller in terms of the ear hole space, but it changes the sound too much to recommend using it.

Quote:
My M-100 finally cracked :D...I was flexing it 'cos the clamping was a little too strong. Well the damage doesn't affect the sound :-

Woah, that's kind of scary.
eek.gif

I usually flex my headband by gripping the headband itself rather than the sides where the wing plates are.

Quote:
Any word on the velour pads? I feel like they would drastically reduce the bass for some reason by like 35%

No word on the velour pads yet. I'm still interested in trying them out too since velour pads do tend to reduce the bass, depending on the density of the material of course.

Quote:
Hey everyone, 

Thanks in advance,
~Ty

From what I measured on my M-100 and LP/LP2 pads, the M-100 does have more depth in the earpads, but because it's a softer material, it compresses more than the LP/LP2 pads.

So the short answer is no there isn't more depth with the M-100. I've actually found the stiffer LP/LP2 pads to be slightly more comfortable. Earpad mods do help a bit, but the M-100 pads are still quite squishy and so they still do compress.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #10,616 of 23,366
Quote:
I think V-MODA's new amp (VERSA) is going to be a device that works across all major mobile platforms (Android, iOS, Windows). But yeah if you're looking for something more portable, the O2 is not something that's easy to carry around. Amazingly enough, it fits fine in my jacket pocket but it's a hassle trying to adjust the volume knob with a bunch of cables in the way.

I think the LP/LP2 pads help with the comfort level even though they're a bit smaller in terms of the ear hole space, but it changes the sound too much to recommend using it.

Woah, that's kind of scary.
eek.gif

I usually flex my headband by gripping the headband itself rather than the sides where the wing plates are.

No word on the velour pads yet. I'm still interested in trying them out too since velour pads do tend to reduce the bass, depending on the density of the material of course.

From what I measured on my M-100 and LP/LP2 pads, the M-100 does have more depth in the earpads, but because it's a softer material, it compresses more than the LP/LP2 pads.

So the short answer is no there isn't more depth with the M-100. I've actually found the stiffer LP/LP2 pads to be slightly more comfortable. Earpad mods do help a bit, but the M-100 pads are still quite squishy and so they still do compress.

Don't forget pads (memory foam/regular foam) will compress with use...  How much use have your LP pads had?

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #10,617 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Don't forget pads (memory foam/regular foam) will compress with use...  How much use have your LP pads had?

I have a good 20+ hours on them and they're pretty snug on my head.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #10,618 of 23,366
Quote:

Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well lookie what we have here. I tried the LP/LP2 pads again and this time it sounds MUCH better than what I recall from last time....to the extent where it sounds very similar to my original pad mod. :xf_eek:
I must not have had the pads in all the way last time because I noticed that tucking the last part of the pad into the earcup was particularly difficult for me.

dbdynsty25, I would be interested in what you think of the M-100 with your LP/LP2 pads.

With the LP/LP2 pads correctly installed:
  1. bass is reduced about as much as my original paper towel mod, check
  2. midrange is more forward, more so than with DigitalFreak's mod, check (Lindsey Stirling's violin is forward and focused-on, check)
  3. treble extension/upper-treble is increased, making it more suitable for rock music, check (drummer mode is in action, check)
  4. soundstage is much wider and less deep, check (it passed all of my soundstage tests: Team Fortress 2 sentry surround sound, Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2", Ottmar Lieber's Up Close album, and even passing the binaural recording effects in Pearl Jam's Binaural album)
  5. instrument separation is increased, check (instruments are better defined, making it a much better contender for rock tracks with a lot of notes being played at once by different instruments)

Interesting interesting. I'm really, really, really liking my LP/LP2 pads on the M-100. Earpad mods are not needed with these pads, so both comfort and sound are not a problem for me.
I'll have to give this a better listen on Wednesday. I need some sleep now. >.>

No offense man, but this is what makes it hard for me to follow some folks on this forum and make me wonder if they are hearing things or their brains are telling them that they are hearing things....and honestly, it leads people that don't read (or remember) all of the posts to have major issues deciding what to do.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #10,619 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well lookie what we have here. I tried the LP/LP2 pads again and this time it sounds MUCH better than what I recall from last time....to the extent where it sounds very similar to my original pad mod. :xf_eek:
I must not have had the pads in all the way last time because I noticed that tucking the last part of the pad into the earcup was particularly difficult for me.

dbdynsty25, I would be interested in what you think of the M-100 with your LP/LP2 pads.

With the LP/LP2 pads correctly installed:
  1. bass is reduced about as much as my original paper towel mod, check
  2. midrange is more forward, more so than with DigitalFreak's mod, check (Lindsey Stirling's violin is forward and focused-on, check)
  3. treble extension/upper-treble is increased, making it more suitable for rock music, check (drummer mode is in action, check)
  4. soundstage is much wider and less deep, check (it passed all of my soundstage tests: Team Fortress 2 sentry surround sound, Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2", Ottmar Lieber's Up Close album, and even passing the binaural recording effects in Pearl Jam's Binaural album)
  5. instrument separation is increased, check (instruments are better defined, making it a much better contender for rock tracks with a lot of notes being played at once by different instruments)

Interesting interesting. I'm really, really, really liking my LP/LP2 pads on the M-100. Earpad mods are not needed with these pads, so both comfort and sound are not a problem for me.
I'll have to give this a better listen on Wednesday. I need some sleep now. >.>

No offense man, but this is what makes it hard for me to follow some folks on this forum and make me wonder if they are hearing things or their brains are telling them that they are hearing things....and honestly, it leads people that don't read (or remember) all of the posts to have major issues deciding what to do.

Mhmm I see what you're saying. The LP/LP2 pads change the sound in a similar way to the original paper towel mod, and not everyone wants that kind of sound from the M-100; I've always the original paper towel mod does drastically change the M-100's sound (I like the sound, but it deviates a lot from the M-100's original sound). DigitalFreak's mod is, and always has been, the in-between mod and I do recommend that if you want the M-100 with a slightly altered sound and/or higher comfort levels. Most people are here for the M-100 and its sound, so I recommend the DigitalFreak mod.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #10,620 of 23,366
Yeah, we all have different tastes, and that is why personal experience matters so much in the headphone world (or any world really).

If I do decide to double amp my phone with an external amp, whats the best way to do it? Low volume on the source, and a higher volume on the amp? Or almost max volume on the source, and a lower volume on the amp?
I would guess a higher volume on the source...

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

So, seeing as they are based in the UK, is this a good bet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back