V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 9, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #21,106 of 23,366
Well, that's my M-100's finally bit the big one. I took them off their stand yesterday only to find a small chunk had been chipped of one of the left cups. These headphones hardly ever go outside & have never been dropped on a hard surface. What's worse is that it's not just a cosmetic issue, there's a pronounced drop-off in bass on the left channel.

Since I only bought them in February & they weren't cheap here in the UK I'm pretty annoyed, to say the least. I'm not sure if they'd still be under warranty or who would honour it if they are. I bought them through Amazon. I also bought the XL pads but now that seems like throwing good money after bad.

I think the plastic used on the cups is too brittle, just like with the Wings that other people have had problems with. If it was a purely cosmetic issue I could happily live with it but since it affects the sound I'm now looking for something else to take their place.

A sad day :pensive:

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #21,107 of 23,366
Well, that's my M-100's finally bit the big one. I took them off their stand yesterday only to find a small chunk had been chipped of one of the left cups. These headphones hardly ever go outside & have never been dropped on a hard surface. What's worse is that it's not just a cosmetic issue, there's a pronounced drop-off in bass on the left channel.

Since I only bought them in February & they weren't cheap here in the UK I'm pretty annoyed, to say the least. I'm not sure if they'd still be under warranty or who would honour it if they are. I bought them through Amazon. I also bought the XL pads but now that seems like throwing good money after bad.

I think the plastic used on the cups is too brittle, just like with the Wings that other people have had problems with. If it was a purely cosmetic issue I could happily live with it but since it affects the sound I'm now looking for something else to take their place.

A sad day :pensive:

NAD Viso HP50! or Sennheiser HD7DJ's 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #21,108 of 23,366
NAD Viso HP50! or Sennheiser HD7DJ's :evil:

Since I only bought them in February I'm kinda hoping V-Moda might do something about it. Anyway, the NAD is ugly and the Sennheiser, well, I've got so many of their headphones I should have shares.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #21,109 of 23,366

NAD Viso HP50! or Sennheiser HD7DJ's 
evil_smiley.gif

Since I only bought them in February I'm kinda hoping V-Moda might do something about it. Anyway, the NAD is ugly and the Sennheiser, well, I've got so many of their headphones I should have shares.

The NAD is ugly but it's supposed to sound really good. That is my next can since I sold my old 558. I have to stay under 10 cans..

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #21,110 of 23,366
The warranty will cover it. Does it look like the crack is due to over tightening the hex screws? V-MODA have admitted that was a problem with some batches. You should submit a claim form.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #21,111 of 23,366
  The warranty will cover it. Does it look like the crack is due to over tightening the hex screws? V-MODA have admitted that was a problem with some batches. You should submit a claim form.

How are you liking the urbanite.. sorry to ask but they look sort of odd.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #21,112 of 23,366
  How are you liking the urbanite.. sorry to ask but they look sort of odd.

I was putting together a review for them and then I ended up breaking my right hand. I'm in a cast for the next two months. To be clear, these are my impressions of the Urbanite on ear.

In a nutshell, they sound good with a very tight, controlled bass(moreso than the XS and maybe the M-100, although that could be because the M-100 is so much bassier) although the subbass rolls off a little. The upper mids/lower trebles sound veiled and therefore makes pop music sound a little dull, especially higher female vocals. Deeper vocalists like Lady Gaga and Lana Del Ray sound great, but Kpop/Jpop loses something. EDM, rap and, surprisingly, classical sound pretty good. I think it does well with classical due it's stellar imaging. The sound stage isn't very big, but is has a black background and stereo separation is nicely laid out. Amping doesn't seem to do much and I find that different DACs affect the sound more. I do not like how it plays with the Vamp Verza, but out of the Aune T1 with an 1969 Holland Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 tube the sound gets more spacious and the overall balance shifts a little more toward neutral, although it's still a very colored, bassy headphone.

Out of all my headphones the Urbanite isolates the best and is my preferred subway headphone, but they clamp a little too tight and slide off my head fairly easily when I look up or down forcing me to constantly adjust them. To be honest, after the initial two weeks I spent with them to get some impressions for review I've barely touched them preferring my XS and M-100.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #21,113 of 23,366

I know how you feel bud, had a similar case. I was disappointed when my M-100's had cracks for unknown reasons because I had high expectations with regards to durability.

Contact V-moda sure they can sort this out for you. Also send some pictures of the headphones with the cracks and got a response that same day.

Had to send them back and after a week got a brand new pair.

Goodluck

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #21,114 of 23,366
  The NAD is ugly but it's supposed to sound really good. That is my next can since I sold my old 558. I have to stay under 10 cans..

I had the NAD hp50s and found them boring.  Sound good but not special... not analytic, not bassy, not colorful signature, just really really closed.  I traded them away and unlike others I've traded away (HiFiMAN HE 500, Grado PS500), I've never missed them.  Same story on the AKG K712s... but then I LOVE the AKG Q701s!  Go figger!

But I also love the V-MODA M100s... hope you can get yours repaired under warranty!

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #21,115 of 23,366

I had the NAD hp50s and found them boring.  Sound good but not special... not analytic, not bassy, not colorful signature, just really really closed.  I traded them away and unlike others I've traded away (HiFiMAN HE 500, Grado PS500), I've never missed them.  Same story on the AKG K712s... but then I LOVE the AKG Q701s!  Go figger!

But I also love the V-MODA M100s... hope you can get yours repaired under warranty!

I personally don't love my Q701s, they are just kind of there because all my headphones sound very warm/dark. 
I've never been able to like the M100's either, but I like the XS.

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #21,116 of 23,366
v-moda have stellar customer service but never believe the marketing baloney all these companies put our there, about being military spec, etc.  The plastic they use is brittle and will break with time or with little care in handling them.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #21,118 of 23,366
Welp. Here we go again. I think my m100's have reached their lifespan and if v-moda doesn't accept my headphones... I'll be going to UE9000's or Beyerdynamics. 

Due to the sealed nature of the XL pads, they create an "air seal" in which if I press on an earcup. The pressure of the air pushing into the driver would cause it to temporarily stop functioning. This gets pretty annoying if I decide to move my jaw or turn my head.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #21,119 of 23,366
I have never heard of your issue before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back