V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #21,137 of 23,366

Or McEwan's Champion ale. Stickier though.

I've no idea how to get the plug out though. Big pliers?

Try WD40? Might get rid of the friction and suction that's making it get stuck, but it could damage the headphone. What if you plier it and then the heaphone doesn't work?

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #21,139 of 23,366
guys, what amp do you think this headphones would benefit the most? probably something that ups their mids. I was thinking of buying an e12 but want to know some other opinions

Definitely not the e12 (mont blanc), it's too sensitive and too loud. Try the E17 or if you're up for it, the Verza.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #21,141 of 23,366
Definitely not the e12 (mont blanc), it's too sensitive and too loud. Try the E17 or if you're up for it, the Verza.

Thanks a lot ! I'm not buying The amp right now but i can wait. Thoughts on dragonfly?

Dragonfly? 3 words. Overpriced overhyped junk. I mean, their cables are decent, but the soundcards are junk. You could save the money for a high end DAC instead of being stuck with a terrible USB stick. The way I 'be an audiophile' is to buy a new mid range product (when I got into iems I got the Shure SE215) and then I jumped straight into the high end. No point buying dragonfly, it's the purchase you'll like for a while then you'll find a much better product and regret buying it, depends on your current set up if you'll even like it to start off with.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #21,142 of 23,366
Dragonfly? 3 words. Overpriced overhyped junk. I mean, their cables are decent, but the soundcards are junk. You could save the money for a high end DAC instead of being stuck with a terrible USB stick. The way I 'be an audiophile' is to buy a new mid range product (when I got into iems I got the Shure SE215) and then I jumped straight into the high end. No point buying dragonfly, it's the purchase you'll like for a while then you'll find a much better product and regret buying it, depends on your current set up if you'll even like it to start off with.

Thanks man. I'm already familiar with the v-moda brand so thats why i'm choosing it. What do you think is a good high end dac that costs that much? (Its 100$-150$on amazon)

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #21,143 of 23,366

Thanks man. I'm already familiar with the v-moda brand so thats why i'm choosing it. What do you think is a good high end dac that costs that much? (Its 100$-150$on amazon)

E17 is a good place to start, or the DACmagic. You could always look at a MacBook - they have great soundcards. I don't really believe in the DAC hype anymore, high end products need high end DACs and I can't be bothered spending money on a DAC, but the E17 is a really good all rounder. I have one for sale if you want it, I'll give it to you pretty cheap. PM me? :)

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #21,144 of 23,366
Honestly, in my opinion, if you are going to buy any external DAC/Amp for the M-100s it should be the Verza. It was tuned with the M-100s in mind, so it really is the only thing that I have found that makes them sing. Sure you could adjust the treble and bass on the E17, but really it isn't necessary for the M100s to sound good. Lately I've been playing the M-100s directly out of my Nexus 5 with little issue. Naturally I still have my Arrow 4G and Cowon J3 combo which is great. But the extra power that I gain from the Arrow doesn't really add anything to the sound. The only thing I occasionally do is increase the treble by a notch to offset the bass a bit (since I can't lower it like I would on the E17).

That said, I agree with Existence on buying practices. I went straight for broke hitting midrange to higher midrange for my purchases. Going in low to things that are not well regarded is kind of a risky business. The lower end I have is just my Clip Zip and Koss KSC75, which are both highly regarded as bang for buck items, and are so cheap that it is hard to regret buying them. At 100~ it becomes harder. So choose your purchases wisely.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #21,145 of 23,366

lol I disagree with the general gist. I think there are many stellar sub-$200 price point dacs (with the dragonfly 1.0 being one of them). I am sure the 1.2 is also great, but I have not heard em. The sonic differences between those and "high-end" $400+ dacs are not as large as as it may sound from people's impressions here from my personal experience.

Honestly though, @Gamingmusiclove, you will be much much better served not even bothering getting a dac and spending your entire budget on headphones. If you are buying a V-moda other than the M100, you should just get the M100 + XL pads instead of the LP/LP2/M80/XS + a dac. The sound would be better. If you are already considering the M100, I would still recommend not wasting your money on a dac over $100. the sonic improvements are marginal compared for the price (from my personal experience), especially for a pair of mid-fi headphones like the V-Modas that do not really scale up that much.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #21,146 of 23,366
  Honestly, in my opinion, if you are going to buy any external DAC/Amp for the M-100s it should be the Verza. It was tuned with the M-100s in mind, so it really is the only thing that I have found that makes them sing. Sure you could adjust the treble and bass on the E17, but really it isn't necessary for the M100s to sound good. Lately I've been playing the M-100s directly out of my Nexus 5 with little issue. Naturally I still have my Arrow 4G and Cowon J3 combo which is great. But the extra power that I gain from the Arrow doesn't really add anything to the sound. The only thing I occasionally do is increase the treble by a notch to offset the bass a bit (since I can't lower it like I would on the E17).

That said, I agree with Existence on buying practices. I went straight for broke hitting midrange to higher midrange for my purchases. Going in low to things that are not well regarded is kind of a risky business. The lower end I have is just my Clip Zip and Koss KSC75, which are both highly regarded as bang for buck items, and are so cheap that it is hard to regret buying them. At 100~ it becomes harder. So choose your purchases wisely.

OMG... I would STRONGLY recommend NOT getting the $600 Verza for for any pair of V-Moda headphones unless you are a really really big fan of the company or have a big disposable budget.

Spending $600 on a portable amplifier for a pair of $300 or less headphones makes no sense! The headphones are responsible for 80-90% of the sound quality. The amplifier maybe has like a 10% impact on your sound. Your budget should really go the other way around with $600 on your headphones and <$300 on your amp. You should never really be spending more than 50% of your budget on external equipment (dac/amps) unless you have already reached that $1000+ flagship mark with your headphones & obviously have so much money, your budget isn't an issue at all.

Of course, if you feel differently that is fine. I have owned several M100s and paired them with a $80 and $450 amp. They honestly do not scale up very much at all with increased amplification. The V-Moda unamped basically sounds exactly the same as a V-Moda hooked up to a $500 amplifier. My personal experience, YMMV.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #21,147 of 23,366
My M-100's sound superb when paired with my E18 but there's hardly any improvement at all when I step up to my ODAC/O2.

And aye, the Versa makes no sense whatsoever.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #21,148 of 23,366
  OMG... I would STRONGLY recommend NOT getting the $600 Verza for for any pair of V-Moda headphones unless you are a really really big fan of the company or have a big disposable budget.

Spending $600 on a portable amplifier for a pair of $300 or less headphones makes no sense! The headphones are responsible for 80-90% of the sound quality. The amplifier maybe has like a 10% impact on your sound. Your budget should really go the other way around with $600 on your headphones and <$300 on your amp. You should never really be spending more than 50% of your budget on external equipment (dac/amps) unless you have already reached that $1000+ flagship mark with your headphones & obviously have so much money, your budget isn't an issue at all.

Of course, if you feel differently that is fine. I have owned several M100s and paired them with a $80 and $450 amp. They honestly do not scale up very much at all with increased amplification. The V-Moda unamped basically sounds exactly the same as a V-Moda hooked up to a $500 amplifier. My personal experience, YMMV.

You realize that was the entire point of my post right right...? They don't scale with amplification. The DAC of the Verza is tuned with the M100s which makes it the perfect pair. I've demoed them with several Amps and DACs. Regardless of what you think of the price of the Verza and diminishing returns is another matter entirely. If you have the budget for the Verza and love the M100s, it is in my experience the best possible pairing. This is even with comparing to TOTL Woo audio amp/dac combos. The way they tuned the Verza with the M100s brings out all the strengths of the cans and makes the weaknesses less noticeable. It is really fantastic. Is the increase in sound quality from the DACs of the Verza worth $600? That is up to the person to decide, personally I think it is a bit high and would do better in the $450 price range. 

But at the end of the day, my point was that the M100s do not scale well and amps are not necessary. The DAC is the real deciding factor, but the increase in SQ from most decent players is a wash.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #21,149 of 23,366
lol fair point. tho i personally think $600 for a dac specifically for the $300 m100 is severe overkill. and from my personal xperience both dacs/amps have minimal impact on sound compared to source & headphones

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #21,150 of 23,366
I have both the Verza and the E17 and the Verza makes the M-100 (and AKG Q701) sing. It's not $600 worth of singing (I got my Verza for half that) but it does sound noticeably better than with the E17. I haven't plugged my M-100 into much "higher-end" gear, but kyuusetsuki is right. The Verza pairs well with the M-100 since its DAC was specifically tuned with the M-100 in mind. However, listening to them through an Aune T1 with an Amperex tube feeding into a FiiO E9 is absolutely sublime. Huge sound stage, more forward mids and great bass extension. The Verza comes close and is a good compromise as a portable set up with my phone/laptop. Both of these solutions are vastly superior to the E17, onboard RealTek ALC889 on my desktop, whatever the hell is on my laptop, and the Samsung Galaxy S3 running Viper4Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back