V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Mar 18, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #1,291 of 2,828
@valkolton good point about (4). At my age I'm slowly getting high tone deafness and what others consider to be bright or harsh, I find acceptable (e.g. the Ultrasone Edition 8's). Another too in my opinion is trend. I think back in the early 80s those youngsters blaring music in their cars you'll hear the high pitch ssss ssss ssss as they drive pass by. Then in the late 80's into the 90's it's the boom boom boom.

@kingice10, I find the JVC/Victor FX700 to be dark somewhat.

Mar 18, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #1,293 of 2,828
hey guys, I have a quick question. So i have had the M-80's for about 2 months now, and they are my favorite headphones that I have ever owned. My only complaint however is that the treble seems extremely recessed. Like the song will be sounding great, then where the singer hits a high note in the song, it is completely flattened out by the headphones. My setup isnt anything special, just a Samsung Fascinate smartphone and as many 320 kbs versions of my songs as i can find. Would I benefit from buying an amp (around $60) or by getting a new mp3 player (most likely the sansa clip+)? would either of these help me get a little more "sparkle" in the high ends of my music?

Are you sure you mean recessed? I personally have an issue with the treble but its definitely not recessed for me. Its just not as fast or "crisp" as I'd like it to be. Which is weird because the bass has the opposite problem. It's fast and hard but it lacks the right length of "boom" after the hit. Anyway, as far as I can tell that's just my ear and opinion but I'm really hoping this area is what changes in the m100. Don't you dare touch those mids though. Also note despite these flaws the m80 is still my favorite go to phone.

Also, I generally listen to my music at 30% of volume and at the highest 50% in a noisy atmosphere. Part of the reason I get nice phones is so that I can hear all of the details at low volumes instead of having to bump it up.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,294 of 2,828
I used to use Sennheiser IE7 all the time. In a quiet environment, because they isolate so well, I found the music getting quieter and quieter so I turned the volume up and up. Hearing loss sure followed. In loud rooms I have trouble understanding voices. It is a bit more tough for me to have a conversation in a loud room. I just can't hear like I used to. I am only 14 and am never using IEMs again. My ears always got so fatigued and it wasn't until my mom said she thought I shouldn't use headphones so much because they damage your hearing. I hate IEMs.

Staying on topic, I listen to my M-80s at 50% on my iPhone 4s, I sometimes click it up one to 56.25% if I'm in a loud environment. If I'm falling asleep listening to music I will listen at about 25-30%.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #1,295 of 2,828
These guys need quite a bit of burning in...but they sound pretty sweet after a while xP

Quote:
I ordered the M80's a week ago and am expecting them to arrive in this week.

Was just wondering if they required burn-in to perform to their potential ?

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,297 of 2,828
I think some people said around 20 hours? I listened to mine without really burning in at first. I compared the sound after about a week and i could a hear pretty big difference. M-80s really sound a lot different once theyve been burned in =)

Quote:
How long would be adequate ?

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,298 of 2,828
Hey Val, thanks for responding. To answer your questions, i generally listen to my music pretty loud compared to most people seem to. For my genre, I usually listen to alternative/modern rock (such as Jars by Chevelle), or Country music (such as My Kinda Party Jason Aldean). For my device, I use a Samsung Fascinate smartphone. I don't even know what an audiogram is...lol. And I am 16 years old.

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,299 of 2,828

Quote:
I think some people said around 20 hours? I listened to mine without really burning in at first. I compared the sound after about a week and i could a hear pretty big difference. M-80s really sound a lot different once theyve been burned in =)

To me the difference in sound comes mainly from the better fit after a period of time.
I'm not saying there is no difference from burning in but I feel that the way the earpads better conform to my ears seem to play a bigger part in better sound.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #1,300 of 2,828
Has anyone compared M-80 with ATH-ES55?
At more than twice the price point, is there that much improvement?

In fact, M-80 is in the same range with ATH-M50 or even Beyerdynamic DT770 (with a good deal), how would M-80 perform against those solid-performing cans?

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,301 of 2,828

Quote:
Has anyone compared M-80 with ATH-ES55?
At more than twice the price point, is there that much improvement?

In fact, M-80 is in the same range with ATH-M50 or even Beyerdynamic DT770 (with a good deal), how would M-80 perform against those solid-performing cans?

Not sure about the ES55 but I have the M50 and I prefer the M-80 most of the time. The sound is smoother and detailed and bass is punchier as well.
The only thing is, I still can't wear the M80 past 2 hours without the ears hurting and hence I will rest or swop out for M50 for those movie marathons.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,302 of 2,828
Not sure about the ES55 but I have the M50 and I prefer the M-80 most of the time. The sound is smoother and detailed and bass is punchier as well.
The only thing is, I still can't wear the M80 past 2 hours without the ears hurting and hence I will rest or swop out for M50 for those movie marathons.

Thanks a lot!
I own both es55 and dt770.
I really like the es55 for portable use, and dt770 for home use (with an amp).
But I was kind of wondering if I can use the m-80 as an all-arounder if it's really that good and comparable with the dt770.

I do think that the bass of dt770 is a little too much and hard-hitting for me. The treble is little too sharp at times. So I like the es55 sound signature quite a bit, but I feel the es55 can be congested in certain frequency ranges.

All in all, non-bass heavy, not too sharp, and smooth-sounding portable cans really interests me.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,303 of 2,828

Quote:
Thanks a lot!
I own both es55 and dt770.
I really like the es55 for portable use, and dt770 for home use (with an amp).
But I was kind of wondering if I can use the m-80 as an all-arounder if it's really that good and comparable with the dt770.
I do think that the bass of dt770 is a little too much and hard-hitting for me. The treble is little too sharp at times. So I like the es55 sound signature quite a bit, but I feel the es55 can be congested in certain frequency ranges.
All in all, non-bass heavy, not too sharp, and smooth-sounding portable cans really interests me.

I own the V-80's and M50's and vastly prefer the V-80's. They are rather neutral sounding and a lot of the emphasis is in the mids (which definitely take the cake imo). They have a tight and punchy bass, less prevalent than the M50's. The highs are slightly rolled off but they are not harsh or distorted in anyway, in fact they are quite clear. They are very good sounding and good looking pair of headphones.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #1,304 of 2,828

Quote:
I own the V-80's and M50's and vastly prefer the V-80's. They are rather neutral sounding and a lot of the emphasis is in the mids (which definitely take the cake imo). They have a tight and punchy bass, less prevalent than the M50's. The highs are slightly rolled off but they are not harsh or distorted in anyway, in fact they are quite clear. They are very good sounding and good looking pair of headphones.

Thanks!
I don't own M50, but I hear that its sound signature is more or less close to the DT770.  Your comments on the M(V)-80 about the mids and highs were encouraging enough to make me order a pair.  I'll let everyone know how they sound.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,305 of 2,828

Quote:
To me the difference in sound comes mainly from the better fit after a period of time.
I'm not saying there is no difference from burning in but I feel that the way the earpads better conform to my ears seem to play a bigger part in better sound.

1000%, the "burn in" is the headband/cushions adjusting to your ears.  It is also the black pigment softening up, this is why i recommend to work out with them to accelerate it.  Sweat a bit...  When I workout, or use them to play a DJ gig they usually are optimal very quickly.

-v

Users who are viewing this thread

Back