V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #1,576 of 1,668
Have you all found any major (practical) differences in sonics between wired and AAC wireless with your iOS devices for your Codex? When I compare between the two, I hear tonal shift where the Codex FR leans more towards a neutral (but not completely neutral) stance compared to wireless AAC. There is a little more upper mids/lower treble presence, and a little added clarity in presentation. Overall though I -think- I hear a slightly more open sounstage in wired mode.

Oct 13, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #1,579 of 1,668
I've put up my review of the Codex. If anyone finds any typos, pls do let me know!!!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/v-moda-crossfade-2-wireless-codex-edition.23367/reviews

Thank you for the review!

A few more questions:

1. How is the call quality when talking on the Codex via Bluetooth?
2. V-Moda says you can get 14 hours per full charge. As long as it is not too cold outside, do you feel it lasts 14 hours?
3. When connected to an iPhone via Bluetooth, do you get a battery indicator?

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,580 of 1,668

A few more questions:

2. V-Moda says you can get 14 hours per full charge. As long as it is not too cold outside, do you feel it lasts 14 hours?

1. At home, it's fine but I'm not certain about outside w.r.t ambient noise. To be frank I've not found any audio headphones with bluetooth to do well in phone conversations.Dedicated bluetooth mono headsets seem to work with phone conversations
2. I've not tried that actually. I've not had the headphone run out of battery one me yet in one session
3. No, doesn't yes it show the battery level of the headphone on the iPhone

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,581 of 1,668

A few more questions:

1) The call quality is good, although the noise cancelling when outside is not very good. The best microphone on a bluetooth headphone I have seen was on Sennheiser M2 it cut ambient noise well
2) Battery life is very good. I have never measure battery life, but I have never had it run out of battery. I put it to charge every so often
3) Android yes, haven't verifed with iPhone but Anak says no

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,582 of 1,668
Been using my Matt Black exclusively in the gym over Bluetooth with my M2s. Mix of ALAC and FLAC.
Certainly more bass heavy than was used to with other set ups, but for this environment in particular...REALLY GREAT!
Bluetooth is really reliable. Sound is good. Isolation is a noisy environment does pretty well.
I do found a bit of extra volume helps with separation and really improves the sound to my ear.
Really feel like they'll be durable too.

FWIW there's literally no reason to use FLAC/ALAC over Bluetooth.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,583 of 1,668
Have you all found any major (practical) differences in sonics between wired and AAC wireless with your iOS devices for your Codex? When I compare between the two, I hear tonal shift where the Codex FR leans more towards a neutral (but not completely neutral) stance compared to wireless AAC. There is a little more upper mids/lower treble presence, and a little added clarity in presentation. Overall though I -think- I hear a slightly more open sounstage in wired mode.

Of course there'll be differences. In wireless you're using the CFW's internal amp/dac and in wired mode you're using the amp/dac of whatever it's plugged into. I often use mine plugged into an AudioQuest Dragonfly and just... damn.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #1,584 of 1,668
Of course there'll be differences. In wireless you're using the CFW's internal amp/dac and in wired mode you're using the amp/dac of whatever it's plugged into. I often use mine plugged into an AudioQuest Dragonfly and just... damn.
Yes I'm well aware of that however I believe one of the points of the Crossfade wireless is that the tuning was to match as close as possible to wired...at least with the 1st Crossfade Wireless, I gather that point has carried down to the subsequent Crossfade 2 Wireless Std and Codex.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #1,585 of 1,668

3. No, doesn't show the battery level of the headphone on the iPhone

There's a battery status widget in the iOS today view, or whatever it's called, accessible when swishing to the right on the first page of the home screen. There I do see a battery level for the CF2 while it's connected via Bluetooth. No idea how accurate it is, but the level is reported by the headphone, so that's up to V-Moda I guess

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,586 of 1,668
There's a battery status widget in the iOS today view, or whatever it's called, accessible when swishing to the right on the first page of the home screen. There I do see a battery level for the CF2 while it's connected via Bluetooth. No idea how accurate it is, but the level is reported by the headphone, so that's up to V-Moda I guess
Apologies!! I stand corrected! My iPhone is quite jailbroken and have the phone battery percentage by default and forgot all about the widget.

82E016DC-EB80-431E-9B92-405B005B26CB.jpeg
EB008735-FCEE-46E6-84E6-6EE8519B1791.jpeg

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,587 of 1,668
@AnakChan I already thought you were talking about an other battery indicator altogether. Which brings me to a minor nuisance with the CFW and CF2: when the battery is getting empty, it beeps. Regularly. Quite annoying, to me at least. but battery life seems better with the Codex, I've not heard the beeping by accident so far, I.e. it's easy to keep it charged.

Nice photos in your review (which is also nice to read). Incidentally I also own the stack as pictured with the same colors (M100 in matte black, CFW with light gray shields, rose gold for both CF2 versions)

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #1,588 of 1,668
Yes I'm well aware of that however I believe one of the points of the Crossfade wireless is that the tuning was to match as close as possible to wired...at least with the 1st Crossfade Wireless, I gather that point has carried down to the subsequent Crossfade 2 Wireless Std and Codex.

That's... not really a thing, though. They can't tune a speaker that way. They can make the internal dac/amp high quality enough to be close, but that's all.

A speaker has no idea if it's wireless or wired, all it knows is the signal coming out of the amplifier. How that signal got there means squat.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #1,589 of 1,668
That's... not really a thing, though. They can't tune a speaker that way. They can make the internal dac/amp high quality enough to be close, but that's all.

A speaker has no idea if it's wireless or wired, all it knows is the signal coming out of the amplifier. How that signal got there means squat.

The background to my test (and asking other ppl for their experiences) was from the Crossfade Wireless post #1 (and yes, I'm aware this is CFW1, not CF2W. As such my statement that I gathered this point to be carried down to the CF2W) :-

• Virtually identical sound in wired/wireless mode (no artificial EQ or processing)

So just to clarify, I think we're talking about this at different levels. My post in #1576 was merely reporting back on my experience and asking what other users' experiences are; whilst I believe what your posts are saying is about V-Moda's implementation - if it's even possible to do so.

It wasn't my intention to question V-Moda's implementation.

However since we're drifting to that topic instead, digging a little further, back into Jude's interview with Val video in post #1 of this thread, around the 6:58 time into the video :-

"...there's going to be slight differences just from the bluetooth but they should have virtually identical sound..."
"...it was tuned all acoustic..."

Not certain how it was tuned "acoustically".

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #1,590 of 1,668
I repeat, there's no way to "tune" a headphone to sound the same in wired/wireless. The literal only way that works is if the headphone can be played wired via USB so it's using the same internal dac/amp. A headphone won't even sound the same if you switch what phone the wire is connected to.

What V-Moda is clearly saying is that unlike Sony or Bose which have a ton of digital processing to the sound (likely due to the ANC implementation) the CF2W is just the same headphone doing the same thing in both modes. They didn't add anything to make it this way, the opposite is what they're saying. V-Moda means the bluetooth sound hasn't been "enhanced" in the ways that other brands will, which is likely why people enjoy it. That "artificial" veneer isn't there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back