V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Oct 10, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #1,561 of 1,668
So I've managed to spend a little more time with the Codex. Today I paired the Codex, Std, and CFW1 to my NW-WM1Z - AptX where possible. The Codex and Std sound (to the best of my hearing!!) identical - meaning that aside from the AAC support of the Codex, it's the same as the Std - driver, earpads, etc. around my head. So for iPhone/iPad/iOS users, the Codex is the way to go to get the best out of wireless whereas for Android users, either Std or Codex would do.

One note though is that (and I think I wrote this before), for lossy AAC (e.g. 256k or lower), the difference between the Std SBC and Codex AAC seems less prominent. The difference is there however not as pronounced as with lossy AAC or FLAC (via Onkyo HF player)

So let me make sure I’m understanding this properly - when you compared the Crossfade II Wireless with the Codex, there is a sound difference, but when you compare the Codex with the regular M100, there is no difference? Or is it the other way around?

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #1,562 of 1,668
So let me make sure I’m understanding this properly - when you compared the Crossfade II Wireless with the Codex, there is a sound difference, but when you compare the Codex with the regular M100, there is no difference? Or is it the other way around?
I have to re-read what I wrote. I don't think I could have compared the M-100 since the M-100 is wired (and I wasn't comparing wireless with wired).

Ok so let me expand a little more on what I wrote....:-
Codex = Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex edition
Std = Crossfade 2 Wireless Std (2017)
CFW1 = Crossfade Wireless (2015/6)

So on the NW-WM1Z player paired with all 3 :-
Codex paired with AptX protocol
Std paired with AptX protocol
CFW1 paired with SBC protocol

So the Codex and Std sounded identical (to my ears). The CFW1 OTOH had a noticeable difference (for lossless).

Hope this is clearer?

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,563 of 1,668
I have to re-read what I wrote. I don't think I could have compared the M-100 since the M-100 is wired (and I wasn't comparing wireless with wired).

So the Codex and Std sounded identical (to my ears). The CFW1 OTOH had a noticeable difference (for lossless).

Hope this is clearer?

Much clearer. Even as I wrote that, I realized that it didn’t quite sound right myself :frowning2: It also didn’t help that I didn’t know there was a CFW1.

I don’t have access to a Codex edition here in Korea - only the M100 and the CFW2. However, I’m really interested in the portability (folding) and durability aspects, so I would have to import the Codex myself rather than buy it locally. That’s why I found your post to be very helpful - I only have those two models to experiment with and try to guess how the Codex sounds like, but going by your post, I get the feeling that the Codex is basically a folding CFW2 Rose Gold?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,564 of 1,668
Much clearer. Even as I wrote that, I realized that it didn’t quite sound right myself :frowning2: It also didn’t help that I didn’t know there was a CFW1.

I don’t have access to a Codex edition here in Korea - only the M100 and the CFW2. However, I’m really interested in the portability (folding) and durability aspects, so I would have to import the Codex myself rather than buy it locally. That’s why I found your post to be very helpful - I only have those two models to experiment with and try to guess how the Codex sounds like, but going by your post, I get the feeling that the Codex is basically a folding CFW2 Rose Gold?
What device will you be pairing with the headphone? iOS based? Android base? At least in my opinion you can think of the Codex and CFW2 to be the same with the only exception being the Codex has AAC support for iOS users. If you're using Android, then Codex/CFW2 would be the same using the AptX protocol. The construction (Cliqfold, earpads, headband, etc.) are the same. Maybe the Codex may have more colour offerings than the CFW2, I'm not certain - I've not checked on that.

The CFW1 (from 2015? 2016?) does not have the Cliqfold and has the original M100-styled pads.

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,565 of 1,668
What device will you be pairing with the headphone? iOS based? Android base? At least in my opinion you can think of the Codex and CFW2 to be the same with the only exception being the Codex has AAC support for iOS users. If you're using Android, then Codex/CFW2 would be the same using the AptX protocol. The construction (Cliqfold, earpads, headband, etc.) are the same. Maybe the Codex may have more colour offerings than the CFW2, I'm not certain - I've not checked on that.

The CFW1 (from 2015? 2016?) does not have the Cliqfold and has the original M100-styled pads.

Exclusively iOS devices at the moment, hence my interest in the Codex.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,566 of 1,668

Hope this is clearer?

This makes sense. AFAIK the Codex does have some miiiiinor alterations in the drivers, but nothing much, and aside from that the only real difference is in codecs (hence the name). There's no significant change between them beyond some of the software abilities. I use AAC so I'm enjoying me some Codex.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,567 of 1,668
I have the original CF2W(Rose Gold apt-x) and the Codex(Matte Black, although color not important in this model), with the CF2W the Rose Gold variant was the only one that had apt-x and the other colors did not. The Codex version is the same for all colors. I have never heard the non-apt-x variant of the CF2W.

At first, I thought there may have been some subtle sound differences between the two versions. It appeared there was more bass quantity in the Codex version. I feel now after I have adjusted to the sound signature, in wireless mode, the signature is identical. I will continue to test this before I re-write or edit my initial review. I will need to spend a bit more time wired. Now, the major difference will be for the Apple users as this Codex version includes AAC and the original CF2W didn't. I am primarily an Android user, I do have an iPhone for work. Feel free to ask any questions or if this is not clear let me know.

IMG_20180912_191454.jpg

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #1,568 of 1,668
I have the original CF2W(Rose Gold apt-x) and the Codex(Matte Black, although color not important in this model), with the CF2W the Rose Gold variant was the only one that had apt-x and the other colors did not. The Codex version is the same for all colors. I have never heard the non-apt-x variant of the CF2W.

At first, I thought there may have been some subtle sound differences between the two versions. It appeared there was more bass quantity in the Codex version.

This is comparing the CF2W Rose Gold with the Codex version when using the wire, right? It's interesting to hear (pun not intended) that there's a difference in wired, but there's almost no difference in wireless.

If you have the time, could you try testing the multipairing feature on the Codex? The FAQ says that you can pair the Codex with a phone and another device at the same time, so does that mean if you're listening to music via Bluetooth from a separate DAP or computer, and then a call comes in, does the Codex immediately pause the music and shift over to the phone?

If it does, and once you hang up, does the Codex start playing the music from the other source?

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #1,569 of 1,668
This is comparing the CF2W Rose Gold with the Codex version when using the wire, right? It's interesting to hear (pun not intended) that there's a difference in wired, but there's almost no difference in wireless.

If you have the time, could you try testing the multipairing feature on the Codex? The FAQ says that you can pair the Codex with a phone and another device at the same time, so does that mean if you're listening to music via Bluetooth from a separate DAP or computer, and then a call comes in, does the Codex immediately pause the music and shift over to the phone?

If it does, and once you hang up, does the Codex start playing the music from the other source?
I was referring to wireless and I need more time to test wired. It is almost safe to say, if you are going to use Android and pair wirelessly and already have the CF2W with apt-x, unless of course you want a different color than Rose Gold, there is no need to buy the newer(Codex) version for wireless listening. Obviously, Apple users want the Codex version. I will spend more time and A/B wired and see if there are any real differences.

Let me look into the multi-pairing thing.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,570 of 1,668
I was referring to wireless and I need more time to test wired. It is almost safe to say, if you are going to use Android and pair wirelessly and already have the CF2W with apt-x, unless of course you want a different color than Rose Gold, there is no need to buy the newer(Codex) version for wireless listening. Obviously, Apple users want the Codex version. I will spend more time and A/B wired and see if there are any real differences.

Let me look into the multi-pairing thing.

Thanks for the reply. I use iOS devices, and I am in the market for over-ears, so I'm naturally looking at the Codex. Also, thanks for agreeing to look into the multi-pairing.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #1,571 of 1,668
Thanks for the reply. I use iOS devices, and I am in the market for over-ears, so I'm naturally looking at the Codex. Also, thanks for agreeing to look into the multi-pairing.
The two biggest knocks against the CF2W were, apt-x was only available in Rose Gold and the fact that Apple wasn't included in the game. Both complaints have been solved. In my opinion, it's the most balanced V-Moda offering.

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,572 of 1,668
So I've tried multi-pairing primarily from the perspective of playing music from different phones - not so much of phone calls. This isn't new with the Codex but even from the original CFW model. The headphone is paired with both my phone and my wife's. She uses it to listen to music. When enable bluetooth on my phone it'll say it's connected to the headphones even though she's listening to it.

I can then hijack by playing music on my phone, select the CFW, and she'll start hearing my music. I believe she can take it back.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #1,573 of 1,668
I've used the original CF2W with both my phone and an AK380. While listening to music on the AK380, incoming phone calls took over the connection, butt I don't know I father music was paused (player was in my backpack most of the time). Being the phone call switched back to music. Most of the time at least.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,574 of 1,668
So I've tried multi-pairing primarily from the perspective of playing music from different phones - not so much of phone calls. This isn't new with the Codex but even from the original CFW model. The headphone is paired with both my phone and my wife's. She uses it to listen to music. When enable bluetooth on my phone it'll say it's connected to the headphones even though she's listening to it.

I can then hijack by playing music on my phone, select the CFW, and she'll start hearing my music. I believe she can take it back.

I've used the original CF2W with both my phone and an AK380. While listening to music on the AK380, incoming phone calls took over the connection, butt I don't know I father music was paused (player was in my backpack most of the time). Being the phone call switched back to music. Most of the time at least.

Thank you for your experiences. I feel that V-Moda really took quality of life features into consideration with the Codex or CF2W.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,575 of 1,668
Been using my Matt Black exclusively in the gym over Bluetooth with my M2s. Mix of ALAC and FLAC.
Certainly more bass heavy than was used to with other set ups, but for this environment in particular...REALLY GREAT!
Bluetooth is really reliable. Sound is good. Isolation is a noisy environment does pretty well.
I do found a bit of extra volume helps with separation and really improves the sound to my ear.
Really feel like they'll be durable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back