Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads!
Jun 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #32 of 47
No response yet I presume?
I'm about to buy an HE-500 but this plastic ring has me worried. I might buy an Audeze instead but I think I'll prefer the hifiman's sound. Crap :/

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #33 of 47
They aren't a problem unless you are one to take things apart to see how they work. I've had mine off and on several times when comparing the 6s & 500s.The pads curing is part of the sound change.

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:
No response yet I presume?
I'm about to buy an HE-500 but this plastic ring has me worried. I might buy an Audeze instead but I think I'll prefer the hifiman's sound. Crap :/

Oh sorry. I think I mentioned it in one of the HE-500 threads instead, but they actually responded in a day or two. They cost $5 per earpad with $15 shipping. I've already got two on the way and should be here any day now. You just have to contact them and ask for the extra pads and then you can send payment. Dirt cheap actually, considering other brands cost you much, much more.

The whole plastic ring isn't that big of a deal. Just don't take off the earpads, simple as that. Only when you have to change them, but just in case something happens, you've always got that spare pad. Or you can use sanitary covers and NEVER have to change the stock earpads. Either way.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #36 of 47
When I first saw the earpad swapping on SnazzyIpodGuy's youtube video, I was really surprised. The earpad itself looked okay, but that plastic ring looked like it was cut from Barbie doll package cover. And the 5$ price tag for a pad just confirmed my worries. I mean, really? Five buck earpads for a 900$ headphone... I guess I'll be going Audez'e even if the trebble is shelved off.

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #37 of 47
I purchased a set of used HE-500s, and for the life of me, I cannot understand why HiFiMan would opt, considering the HE-500 price tag, for such a crappy ear pad setup.  My right ear pad is 1/4" thinner than the left.  Talk about nightmares with sound level balance.  So much for matched input tubes....Jeeezzzzz!

Anyone have an idea where one might procure decent ear pads for the 500??

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #38 of 47
try making your own? Oh wait...they don't use leather do they....ummm.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #39 of 47

Quote:
try making your own? Oh wait...they don't use leather do they....ummm.

It's truly unfortunate, considering price point, the 500s don't offer an ear cushion attachment system a kin to the Denon offerings.  Easily detached, stuffed with more material, then reattached with out having concern regarding plastic ring breakage.

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #40 of 47
yea, it really seems like they just phoned it in.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #42 of 47
My HE-500's came yesterday brand new. The website says its genuine leather but it sure feels like pleather to me. I also own LCD-2r2 and THAT feels like leather - baby soft, luxurious leather.

I paid <$1000 for my rosewood LCDs before Audeze jacked the price up $150. Considering the HE-500 used to be $900, the LCD2 were a no brainer. Ostensibly the LCD is $145 more because the price of rosewood went up but don't kid yourself - there is nowhere near $150 worth of rosewood used in those cups.

Now that HE-500 is $700 and LCD2 is $1145, I think despite the lackluster earpads, HE-500 is the best bang for the buck.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #43 of 47
Well, turns out I ordered a 100 pack of large black covers for my HE-500. But there's a slight problem.
Your ear goes IN the cup, the covers stretch over the TOP of the cup. These were meant for on ear only.

Yet again, I FAIL. :frowning2:

Not really, maybe this will dampen some of the out ear echos back to the driver, might actually sound better. (Albeit on a very small scale)

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #44 of 47
Is there any difference between this mounting system and the HE-400?

I had a pair of HE-400s recently and changing the pads with the 4 tabs system was a bit annoying, but I never felt like I was in danger of breaking anything.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:
Is there any difference between this mounting system and the HE-400?

I had a pair of HE-400s recently and changing the pads with the 4 tabs system was a bit annoying, but I never felt like I was in danger of breaking anything.

Yeah; they changed the mounting system quite a bit. rather than just slots cut into the plastic; they actually have formed nubs that hook into the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back