Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads!
May 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
Today, I got curious and wanted to see what it looked like underneath the earpad on my HE-4. Well, after I took a look, I attempted to get the earpad on with no success. In fact, I snapped the super cheap plastic ring underneath the earpad, rendering it unable to attach back on. When I heard that "snap", my heart froze and I went into a cold sweat. Luckily, I remembered I had a spare, and went to put that on. Being EXTREMELY careful, I fiddled with it for about 5 minutes before finally getting it on. I was relieved.

But now I have learned my lesson. I will NEVER remove the earpads on my HE-500, because I do not want to risk having the same thing happen. I'll also leave my HE-4 alone now, because if another breaks, I am out of luck. But now I have one of two questions for all HiFiMAN ortho owners:

1 - Is there an easy way to get these on? If so, how in the heck do you do it?
2 - Have you tried sanitary covers? I may just buy a pack of 100 of those, so I never have to change earpads on my HE-500.

Crap. You'd think HiFiMAN would incorporate a better design than this. They need tips from Ultrasone...

May 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 47
Hahahaha! Dude, I'm laughing because the same exact thing happened to me. SAME EXACT THING. I was curious, took one off, took forever trying to put it back on, broke a piece of the plastic ring, and the replacement doesn't sit quite as well as the original.

I HATE this design. They need to fix this asap. I have a useless broken pad. I feel like contacting them for a replacement.

May 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:
Hahahaha! Dude, I'm laughing because the same exact thing happened to me. SAME EXACT THING. I was curious, took one off, took forever trying to put it back on, broke a piece of the plastic ring, and the replacement doesn't sit quite as well as the original.

I HATE this design. They need to fix this asap. I have a useless broken pad. I feel like contacting them for a replacement.

Whew, I'm glad it's not just me then. But I will agree, probably the WORST design I've ever seen. No wonder they give you a spare pad!

Luckily, I got the replacement on so it's connected on all four tabs. It just looks a bit different because that cushion is a bit taller than the other.

I really wish they had the "push and twist" design of Ultrasones. That is amazing! You can take it on and off instantly, with no fiddling whatsoever.

I remember thinking after I broke the earpad, "If HiFiMAN can't make something as simply as a stupid earpad, then Audeze will get my business instead..."

May 16, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 47
Speaking of that, have you ever tried reinstalling the ATH-AD2000 pads? First time for me was a pain and it would just not go back on right. Took me a few tries to perfect it. The AD700 pads are easy in comparison. Reinstalling ATH-AD2000 pads is something that should be avoided.

I love the AKG pads. Just press down hard and rotate. That's it! I wish I had know that the first time I had tried. You don't want to know how I tried to put them back on during the first attempt.

May 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 47
Or for me something like the Beyer pads. Just slips right on, no hassle. Hifiman has the sound down right, now they need some schooling on pad design, lol.

May 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 47
Well, turns out I ordered a 100 pack of large black covers for my HE-500. But there's a slight problem.
Your ear goes IN the cup, the covers stretch over the TOP of the cup. These were meant for on ear only.

Yet again, I FAIL.
frown.gif

May 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 47
Hmm, I wonder what velours would fit on the Hifimans that just slip right on? Beyers are too small. Audio Technicas use that uneven velour...

May 16, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:
Hmm, I wonder what velours would fit on the Hifimans that just slip right on? Beyers are too small. Audio Technicas use that uneven velour...

I dunno, but now I'm on the mad search for earpads that can be used on these that aren't from HiFiMAN. Great idea!
Kinda like users have been doing with the Pro 900 and J$ Pads. I'll have to find something, I just have to. I'll look now.

May 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 47
All I know is that they have to be velour. =/

Maybe Ultrasone pads? How big ARE the drivers on the HEs ?

May 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 47
Yes, they are. I think we all have had a scare when taking a pad off. I did get pad covers for mine. They fit the 6s and the others should be the same.

May 16, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:
Yes, they are. I think we all have had a scare when taking a pad off. I did get pad covers for mine. They fit the 6s and the others should be the same.

How on earth did the pad covers work for yours? Don't they cover they entire top so your ear cannot even go inside? Did you order the same ones I did, from Scan Sound?
Using those would be ideal for me, because then I would never need new pads again. I would just replace them every week and it would last me 2 years. Maybe I should uncancel my order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back