USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Nov 7, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #5,581 of 6,425
Anyone tried the ddHifi TC44Pro
I have one, it's been my go to dongle since i discovered the app to customize the volume control on Samsung smatphones.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #5,582 of 6,425
Has anyone listened to Aune Yuki? From the characteristics it seems fantastic but... it could easily be the usual snake oil...

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #5,584 of 6,425
https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4965482436493798

Translation:
In the just-concluded Japanese VGP selection, Abasso's DC-Elite and DX260 won two special awards. DC-Elite stands out among thousands of portable audio devices and won the only gold medal in the audience - Portable Audio Award. With the innovative DAC matrix and the excellent index of THD+N: -123dB, DX260 won a special award - project award. Of course, these two products also won the VGP2024 gold reward. Due to the strength, it is well-known!

Attachments

• 微博.jpg
    微博.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #5,585 of 6,425
If ESS incorporates such a snake oil, like MQA, in their hardware - it tells a lot!
I made sure to absolutely avoid their MQA products and ultimately stopped buying their products altogether.
I used to be ESS fan, but Cirrus chips are now vastly superior, in my opinion, to both ESS and AKM.

P. S. I have more than 50 different DACs - with a lot of trial of mistakes I learned and finally realized few that I really like - all Cirrus-based.
Lol. I saw your comment and tried to cancel my $46USD Hidizs S9 Pro order but it's shipped. :wink:

Is your opinion on ESS dacs being inferior because of ESS bundling MQA into their future dac's and/or Do all ESS's current dac's sound not as good as Cirrus ones (in your opinion)?

What's your thought on Sony dac's? Those are my favorite... :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #5,587 of 6,425
Nov 7, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #5,589 of 6,425
Sorry, I didn't realize you were telling me where it was being talked about...

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #5,590 of 6,425

Translation:
In the just-concluded Japanese VGP selection, Abasso's DC-Elite and DX260 won two special awards. DC-Elite stands out among thousands of portable audio devices and won the only gold medal in the audience - Portable Audio Award. With the innovative DAC matrix and the excellent index of THD+N: -123dB, DX260 won a special award - project award. Of course, these two products also won the VGP2024 gold reward. Due to the strength, it is well-known!
Argh just release these already Ibasso!

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #5,591 of 6,425
Has anyone listened to Aune Yuki? From the characteristics it seems fantastic but... it could easily be the usual snake oil...
Yeah it's good, one of my favorites so far. Great dynamics, very listenable with no harshness or fatigue.

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #5,592 of 6,425
I am curious how this specific USB-C splitter in your picture works!

Often, these usb-c-to-2c adapters / y-cables do either
- power the host (your DAP) but do not power the attached USB-devices (i.e. the dongle DACs) ... but at least do not inhibit the USB-audio-output
or
- they do not work at all for USB-audio transmission to DACs during charging of the host (they disable the USB-OTG detection when charging)

This is independent of the price/complexity of them. Even the (relative expensive) ddHifi TC28Cpro does not really work with the V1(A): it only allows simultaneous charging and USB-audio output via OTG only for some of my Android devices and NOT for the Tempotec V1(A) which I also own. The same holds for othe compact DAPs like e.g. the Fiio M6, Shanling M0, ...

That is one of the main differences to the "hub mod" setups discussed above where the external supply powers (only) the DACs with sufficient (clean) power while keeping the audio transmission working. The other is that it also works with iOS/Lightning-devices if you use a Lightning-to-C adapter.

If your specific splitter actually powers the DACs while outputing USB-Audio from the Tempotec V1(A), I would be very interessted in a link to that specific adapter model.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that the Tempotec V1(A) works with the "hub mod" and different dongle DACs very well ... but it is very bulky then. I do not use it this way; if I take it out of the drawer at all, I use it as an LDAC BT-receiver (with play/skip keys) with its 3.5mm-coaxial SPDIF-output to the chord mojo (you need a 3.5mm TRRS-to-TS cable for that and it is nearly not using any of its battery at all this way and the V1's USB-C port is then free for charging it).
This splitter works
20231107_211813.jpg

(Powering my favourite DAC: Kuang Plus 4 at 100 mA)
I got this splitter n Amazon quite a bit ago, it is no longer there. This one has a chip, not all (actually a minority) of similar splitters do.

Many other cable splitters work as well:
20231107_211959.jpg

On the right, the splitter sold with E1DA - with it often an external battery is almost a must.
On the right, the USB splitters with separated power and audio. Most of such splitters work (I have three or so, just scan Amazon).
This is the best one with the help of two high-res stickers, it sounds just mighty :)
Lol. I saw your comment and tried to cancel my $46USD Hidizs S9 Pro order but it's shipped. :wink:

Is your opinion on ESS dacs being inferior because of ESS bundling MQA into their future dac's and/or Do all ESS's current dac's sound not as good as Cirrus ones (in your opinion)?

What's your thought on Sony dac's? Those are my favorite... :wink:
$46 is a great price, was closer to $100, many reviewers liked it.
I opted for E1DA SG3 - a mighty but quite finicky one.
Does Sony have USB DACs? I would love to get one!
Ah OK! We understand why use this old Tempotec V1, their Sonata BHD pro has a Cirrus and the MQA!
Thank you for your deep understanding, Sir!
BHD pro is a very nice DAC despite MQA.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #5,593 of 6,425

Translation:
I always wonder where does that award comes from and which audience they talk about ...

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #5,594 of 6,425
So I have an iphone 15 pro max on the way, to replace a 12 pro. I do have one usb c to usb c cable that came with my dongle (FIIO). It is short, like 3 inches.

However, I typically like having a longer dongle available for listening in bed. I put the dongle in the bed, and run a cable to the iphone in its wireless charger.

So it is harder to find long OTG usb c cables than I would have thought. Any suggestions?

Is the design of the iphone 15 pro max such that no OTG cable is required? Thanks.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #5,595 of 6,425
So I have an iphone 15 pro max on the way, to replace a 12 pro. I do have one usb c to usb c cable that came with my dongle (FIIO). It is short, like 3 inches.

However, I typically like having a longer dongle available for listening in bed. I put the dongle in the bed, and run a cable to the iphone in its wireless charger.

So it is harder to find long OTG usb c cables than I would have thought. Any suggestions?

Is the design of the iphone 15 pro max such that no OTG cable is required? Thanks.

DD ddHiFi TC02C​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back