USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Nov 8, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #5,596 of 6,482
On the right, the USB splitters with separated power and audio. Most of such splitters work (I have three or so, just scan Amazon).
Thanks for the information. I hope, you know, what you are actually using there!

Those adapters (the black one is sold here under the brand of e.g. Belkin RockStar and many, many others) are not really USB splitters or hubs but have a dedicated integrated DAC-chip - or more precisely a DDC. Although outputting via a USB-C port in USB-audio, the host (your DAP, PC, ...) "sees" the internal DAC of the adapter, not the external DAC you actually attach to the adapter. The adapter is a kind of man-in-the-middle, "faking" a DAC to the host AND "faking" a host to the external DAC/cable.

Yes, they put out sound (and allow microphone input usually) but the USB-audio stream reaching your DAC is not unaltered. Some of them accept "HighRes" input from your host (and thus earn all those stupid stickers) but convert everything to 44kHz or 48kHz at the output to be compatible with all those USB-c earbuds. And be assured that those simple cheap chips are not good at resampling. That is also the reason why they are advertised with all input properties of the internal DAC/DDC chip (HighRes 384 kHz-32 Bit, or "call/volume control", etc.).

You can test it by simply connect them to your PC and check the audio devices; it is not your DAC listed there but the one of the adapter - for some I experimented with some time ago, the audio is routed to the adapter even if no DAC is attached at all. The sample rate can be checked with one of the dongles/DACs indicating it, using it with and without the adapter and HiRes music.

As a sidenote: That is by the way the same principle used by those USB-C-to-Lightning AUDIO(!) adapters (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Anker-USB-C-Lightning-Audio-Adapter/dp/B07R6MKJZH). I have one of those to use my audeze iSine10s with the cipher cable on USB-C devices because there is no other way to use the cipher DSP on those hosts even if it (re)samples everything to 48kHz.

Needless to say: don't use those for high quality audio!

P.S.: The e1da adapter is of course different, it is just a y-cable which usually have the drawback that some hosts do not detect connected DACs and/or that the current goes in both directions (simplified).

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #5,597 of 6,482
Thanks for the information. I hope, you know, what you are actually using there!

Those adapters (the black one is sold here under the brand of e.g. Belkin RockStar and many, many others) are not really USB splitters or hubs but have a dedicated integrated DAC-chip - or more precisely a DDC. Although outputting via a USB-C port in USB-audio, the host (your DAP, PC, ...) "sees" the internal DAC of the adapter, not the external DAC you actually attach to the adapter. The adapter is a kind of man-in-the-middle, "faking" a DAC to the host AND "faking" a host to the external DAC/cable.

Yes, they put out sound (and allow microphone input usually) but the USB-audio stream reaching your DAC is not unaltered. Some of them accept "HighRes" input from your host (and thus earn all those stupid stickers) but convert everything to 44kHz or 48kHz at the output to be compatible with all those USB-c earbuds. And be assured that those simple cheap chips are not good at resampling. That is also the reason why they are advertised with all input properties of the internal DAC/DDC chip (HighRes 384 kHz-32 Bit, or "call/volume control", etc.).

You can test it by simply connect them to your PC and check the audio devices; it is not your DAC listed there but the one of the adapter - for some I experimented with some time ago, the audio is routed to the adapter even if no DAC is attached at all. The sample rate can be checked with one of the dongles/DACs indicating it, using it with and without the adapter and HiRes music.

As a sidenote: That is by the way the same principle used by those USB-C-to-Lightning AUDIO(!) adapters (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Anker-USB-C-Lightning-Audio-Adapter/dp/B07R6MKJZH). I have one of those to use my audeze iSine10s with the cipher cable on USB-C devices because there is no other way to use the cipher DSP on those hosts even if it (re)samples everything to 48kHz.

Needless to say: don't use those for high quality audio!

P.S.: The e1da adapter is of course different, it is just a y-cable which usually have the drawback that some hosts do not detect connected DACs and/or that the current goes in both directions (simplified).
That is the great information, thank you.
I started my USB DAC journey with the "no-name" chips, most.of them have strong background noise.
So my experience is that DAC chips of these splitters is not engaged when an external DAC is connected.
For instance, CS43131/43198 of connected DACs is recognized by iBasso software.
Actually, iBasso DACs not working with Samsung phones triggered more quest of the splitters (iBasso is banned in my world now - the compatibility issue and loose usb connectors).

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #5,598 of 6,482
So I have an iphone 15 pro max on the way, to replace a 12 pro. I do have one usb c to usb c cable that came with my dongle (FIIO). It is short, like 3 inches.

However, I typically like having a longer dongle available for listening in bed. I put the dongle in the bed, and run a cable to the iphone in its wireless charger.

So it is harder to find long OTG usb c cables than I would have thought. Any suggestions?

Is the design of the iphone 15 pro max such that no OTG cable is required? Thanks.
Any usb-c cable will work.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #5,599 of 6,482
Concerning the Fiio KA13: I received it today (curiosity kills the wallet) and I will not (yet) comment on sound impressions but would like to give some input regarding to the power and the SPDIF-output. I updated to FW 0.12 (Independent hardware volume).

1. The "power":
I placed one of my hardest to drive headphones the Hifiman HE6se V2 on the miniDSP EARS to be able to max out the volume(s) and used in balanced mode from the 4.4mm outputs the Fiio KA13 (desktop mode) and the Questyle M15 (high gain), and the iBasso DC04pro (high gain, turbo mode). Not that anyone thinks, these dongles drive the HE6 well, it is just not directly distorting at full volumes.
The KA13 clearly "wins" by 1-2 dB in terms of loudness. I was however surprised, that the M15 (green) and DC04pro (orange) generate the same SPL.
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-11-08 14-08-18.png

2. The 3.5mm SPDIF output:
It can be switched on in the Fiio Control/Music app and is a Coaxial-output in the typical Fiio layout (i.e. TRRS with S and 2nd R carrying the digital signal/ground). That way you can still get normal single ended audio output from the same 3.5mm port. And (to answer my own question) Yes, 4.4mm and SPDIF output are available simultaneously (!)
You can thus route the digital signal to a mojo or any other DAC with coaxial input. That was the main reason for me to buy it.
ka13--h6_cdNaeSuePS80x5hqNhQ.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #5,603 of 6,482
If I use my iPhone 15ProMax with the Apple type-c dongle at 5-10% volume with my IEMs, and 30-40% volume with my full size headphones, what dongle should I get?

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #5,604 of 6,482
Interesting that any data capable USB C cable will work. With lightning OTG was required.

I wonder what changed? Is it simply the USB C spec, or did Apple open things up?
Just USB-C spec. It's now just a regular USB port, not a proprietary port. And a lot of things just work now. Really a great improvement, not just because you can consolidate cables across devices, but you also have better compatibility.

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #5,606 of 6,482
I could never find the info on 2xCS43131 dongles' (Tanjchim SPACE / FiiO KA13 / Sonata BHD Pro / Ibasso DC04 Pro) output impedance. Did anyone manage to find it?

I don't have the others, but the KA13 has Output impedance specs stated as 1.7 ohms on single-ended and 1.8 ohm on the balanced port.

https://www.fiio.com/ka13_parameters

Hence, it may not be be the best pairing with fastidious low impedance IEMs such as the infamous Andromeda (based on the rule of eights), as the frequency response might be skewed with IEMs that have an impedance of < 13ish ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back