USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jul 26, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #5,162 of 6,426
I would like to find out a dongle that contains both 4.4 and 3.5 mm which supports headset that has microphone for phone call.

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #5,163 of 6,426
I would like to find out a dongle that contains both 4.4 and 3.5 mm which supports headset that has microphone for phone call.
I don't think I ever saw one... Dongles with a 4.4mm balanced output are fairly high-end, usually built around good quality audio DACs--not CODECs--which have no ADC input, nor mic. bias/amplifier. Something like the Qudelix Q5K (2.5mm, no 4.4mm) or Fiio BTR7 support inline mic, but only through Bluetooth. I believe they use the mic. input from the BT chip in that case.

Edit: the cheaper dongles are built around CODECs that do support inline mics... but they don't offer the additional 4.4mm balanced output. Also, I assume you meant mic. support on the 3.5mm SE side, I am not aware of a balanced standard/connector that would include mic. or remote support...
Edit 2: note that some (large number?) dongles do support inline remote (Play/Pause etc.), but not the mic...

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #5,164 of 6,426
I just got hold of a Hiby FC4 and wondered if there is an app available too control the gain and filter settings. I have looked online but cant find anything.
No app that I'm aware of... The USB bridge chip used on the FC4 is probably lacking the "smart" to communicate with an app through USB, unlike say a Hiby W3 which has a powerful-enough BT chip to support an app through BT (not USB).
Also,, the ES9219 DAC/HPA used on the FC4 only has 2 PCM filter settings. The R5 Gen II allows you to choose which filter to use, but the R3Pro 2022 and the R2-II don't even offer that option (these 3x DAPs use the same ES9219 as the FC4 and certainly have enough built-in "smart").
Hiby has released a couple of FW updates for the FC4: they require reflashing the FC4 with a PC .exe tool. I suppose Hiby could release 2 versions of these FW updates, each with a different filter setting, but they probably decided it was not worth...

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #5,165 of 6,426
Hi all. I was hoping someone could suggest a USB-C dongle I could use with a Samsung S23 Ultra, that would allow output to 3.5mm, and allows the phone to charge also at the same time. (And perfect would be allowing a wired headset into the device also at the same time, but maybe I am asking for too much here!)

Don't need the best sound quality to be honest, just something that works. Ideally the dongle won't need to be powered itself, but would allow passthrough charging to the phone.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #5,166 of 6,426
Hi all. I was hoping someone could suggest a USB-C dongle I could use with a Samsung S23 Ultra, that would allow output to 3.5mm, and allows the phone to charge also at the same time. (And perfect would be allowing a wired headset into the device also at the same time, but maybe I am asking for too much here!)

Don't need the best sound quality to be honest, just something that works. Ideally the dongle won't need to be powered itself, but would allow passthrough charging to the phone.

Maybe something like this with a USB-C dongle of your choice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KPD5S82/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #5,167 of 6,426

Try this one. Best dongle I've heard under

$30.00 | JCALLY JM10 DAC Amplifier HiFi Decoding CS43131 DSD256 USB Type C To 3.5MM Can Push 600ohm for Android iOS computer Sonata DC03
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLR0eMS

Jul 26, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #5,168 of 6,426
I don't think I ever saw one... Dongles with a 4.4mm balanced output are fairly high-end, usually built around good quality audio DACs--not CODECs--which have no ADC input, nor mic. bias/amplifier. Something like the Qudelix Q5K (2.5mm, no 4.4mm) or Fiio BTR7 support inline mic, but only through Bluetooth. I believe they use the mic. input from the BT chip in that case.

Edit: the cheaper dongles are built around CODECs that do support inline mics... but they don't offer the additional 4.4mm balanced output. Also, I assume you meant mic. support on the 3.5mm SE side, I am not aware of a balanced standard/connector that would include mic. or remote support...
Edit 2: note that some (large number?) dongles do support inline remote (Play/Pause etc.), but not the mic...
Yes I mean only 3.5 mm mic.

4.4 is for serious listening

3.5 is for phone call.

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #5,169 of 6,426

Any dongle + ddHifi TC28CPro
https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/2028950.html
(charging would be limited at 10w though)

43291037.jpg

Jul 28, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #5,171 of 6,426
Jul 28, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #5,173 of 6,426
That is what I call unreliable: some work, some don't.

Jul 30, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #5,174 of 6,426
I have told that fiio ka5 support in line microphone. Anyone using it can confirm please?

Jul 30, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #5,175 of 6,426
I have told that fiio ka5 support in line microphone. Anyone using it can confirm please?
There is the KA5 thread here, you can ask a Fiio representative for the official answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back