USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jul 17, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #5,147 of 6,485
Recently bought an iBasso DC03 Pro, it has the same wobbling usb port issue as some others reported here but I don't know if that should be a concern or not as it doesn't seems to cause disconnections or false contacts. I previously had a Creative SXFI Amp with similar issue wich was constantly disconnecting, they replaced it right away and all good since then.

My main problem with DC03 pro is kind of strange. It's not recognised straight away by my phone (Galaxy S10e, android 12) but if I plug it on the computer or tablet (galaxy Tab s5e) first then to the phone it works. But then, if I unplug it more than 10 seconds before pluging it back to the phone, same problem happens again (no light, not recognised). I don't have this issue on computer or tablet. Phone has been factory reset in the meantime for others reasons, didn't change anything. Tried differents usb cables as well, same problem. IBasso UAC app is installed if that changes anything.

Do you have any idea where it might come from? I'll send it back if I don't find any solution, I don't know if it's some kind of software / phone issue or a defective unit and I should buy a new one again.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #5,148 of 6,485
Well, I made a small investigation so answering myself.
iBasso, even though they didn't answer me yet, seems well aware of the issue for a long time ever since 2019 and DC01.

Workarounds are to "charge" the dongle a few seconds first on another device or powerbank (works everytime, it's like giving a boost to start your car with another one when your battery is empty hehe) or connect the dongle to an usb-c type hub then plug the hub to the phone, or plug the dac first and then restart the phone to get it recognised everytime you want to use it.

Very practical and straightfoward :relieved: Haven't seen anything like that yet. I don't understand why it is working when plugged to an usb-c hub and not directly, makes no sense to me. It's like the usb port going to sleep mode if inactive and doesn't want to be woken up by a DC03 pro. Why would it be specific to iBasso though, as other dongles, even more powerful ones, don't have the issue. Maybe it could be easily resolved by a firmware update. This phone series won't get anymore android, samsung or even security updates anymore so no hope from samsung side of things. iBasso mentions it as a Samsung related problem (often S10, S20, S21, Note 9, Note 10 it seems on forums, maybe others), that's a lot of potentialy concerned users..

Would you keep a dongle, as good as it sounds, with this kind of hassle to make it work?
Is there some samsung galaxy users with Tanchjim Space here? Might be the next try.. or might end with a DAP to be safe.
(SXFI Amp compatibily with S10 is also very bad by the way, clicking / popping noise, no possible USB exclusive mode etc. Don't know if that changed since its X1 replacement)

EDIT : easiest and portable solution seems to be using an OTG USB-C to A adapter >> USB-A to USB-C (plug this combo first seems to wake up the port and phone) then "charge" the dongle and then plug it back normally within the next 10 seconds.

Attachments

• ibasso otg.jpeg
    ibasso otg.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #5,149 of 6,485
Is there some samsung galaxy users with Tanchjim Space here? Might be the next try.. or might end with a DAP to be safe.

Yes, i use the Tanchjim Space with a Galaxy Z Flip 3.

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #5,150 of 6,485
Well, I made a small investigation so answering myself.
iBasso, even though they didn't answer me yet, seems well aware of the issue for a long time ever since 2019 and DC01.

Workarounds are to "charge" the dongle a few seconds first on another device or powerbank (works everytime, it's like giving a boost to start your car with another one when your battery is empty hehe) or connect the dongle to an usb-c type hub then plug the hub to the phone, or plug the dac first and then restart the phone to get it recognised everytime you want to use it.

Very practical and straightfoward :relieved: Haven't seen anything like that yet. I don't understand why it is working when plugged to an usb-c hub and not directly, makes no sense to me. It's like the usb port going to sleep mode if inactive and doesn't want to be woken up by a DC03 pro. Why would it be specific to iBasso though, as other dongles, even more powerful ones, don't have the issue. Maybe it could be easily resolved by a firmware update. This phone series won't get anymore android, samsung or even security updates anymore so no hope from samsung side of things. iBasso mentions it as a Samsung related problem (often S10, S20, S21, Note 9, Note 10 it seems on forums, maybe others), that's a lot of potentialy concerned users..

Would you keep a dongle, as good as it sounds, with this kind of hassle to make it work?
(SXFI Amp compatibily with S10 is also very bad by the way, clicking / popping noise, no possible USB exclusive mode etc. Don't know if that changed since its X1 replacement)

EDIT : easiest and portable solution seems to be using an OTG USB-C to A adapter >> USB-A to USB-C (plug this combo first seems to wake up the port and phone) then "charge" the dongle and then plug it back normally within the next 10 seconds.
Right, this issue is known. I had DC04 not working with S10 and wobbling innards, now DC03 pro.
I am surprised they did not fix the issues, at least with newer Sumsung phones. I highly regret that I gave a second chance to iBasso - no more of their products for me ever. Similarly, (for a different issue) no Shanling.

USB splitters solve the workability of iBasso dacs for me, while out of 40+ of my dongles ONLY two iBasso do not work with Samsung. So it is definitely iBasso, not Samsung!

Tanchjim Space is one of my favourites, Tempotec E44 and BHD pro are orher great ones.
Suffice it to say, we work with what we have :wink:
It seems to be a passive attitude.
Alternatively, we can shape IEM landscape by voting for the best designs with our money, as for any other consumer products.
I will now not order any transducers with the impedance below 30 Ohm - makes it easier for different temptations out there :)

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #5,151 of 6,485
Yes, i use the Tanchjim Space with a Galaxy Z Flip 3.
Nice, pretty recent phone so you'll get Android 14 support with native bitperfect support and all. I should upgrade someday but I like this tiny phone with its prehistoric microSD slot and 3.5mm jack too much :L3000:

How do you find the battery life with the Space and Z flip3? Seems like a really interesting dongle now it has volume memory and an app. Filter options looks like the iBasso app ones too, have you heard any noticeable differences in sound switching them?

I wish they added a play/pause button, dongles with transport buttons (even with just a double click) are too rare, it's really convenient in the pocket to pause / skip a track, almost DAP experience. There's a convenient app to re-map the S10 bixby and volume buttons for transport abilities with great level of customisation but I'm not sure they kept that button with newer samsung models?

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #5,152 of 6,485
Right, this issue is known. I had DC04 not working with S10 and wobbling innards, now DC03 pro.
I am surprised they did not fix the issues, at least with newer Sumsung phones. I highly regret that I gave a second chance to iBasso - no more of their products for me ever. Similarly, (for a different issue) no Shanling.

USB splitters solve the workability of iBasso dacs for me, while out of 40+ of my dongles ONLY two iBasso do not work with Samsung. So it is definitely iBasso, not Samsung!

Tanchjim Space is one of my favourites, Tempotec E44 and BHD pro are orher great ones.

Yes it's strange, I agree it seems more iBasso related. I've read many stuffs and reviews about it first but didn't even think to check about that as no one mentioned any incompatibility issues anyhow, now I will systematically look more about that.. In their answer on the facebook post they seems to incriminate Samsung alone : "Samsung devices have been an issue because some of their software will work without issue when using an external device and some don't. I understand your frustration but there isn't anything we can do about this. The DC03 is Android compliant but companies can make changes to their system that can complicate this".
Maybe in the future I'll put an alternative OS like LineageOS or something and see if it changes anything. I'll update about the issue if I kept iBasso DC03 pro in the mean time. Right now still trying USB and battery related stuffs in the developer menu but no luck yet. Maybe Android 14 will solve those kind of issues with newer phones, who knows. I'll wait for their answer as well but not waiting for anything more than that I guess.
Do you think the wobbling port could be a matter of concern in the long term?

Since you have both, soundwise, how do you think DC03 pro and Space compare to each others? Same chip but DC03 pro is really more coloured / energetic compared to Space?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #5,153 of 6,485
Yes it's strange, I agree it seems more iBasso related. I've read many stuffs and reviews about it first but didn't even think to check about that as no one mentioned any incompatibility issues anyhow, now I will systematically look more about that.. In their answer on the facebook post they seems to incriminate Samsung alone : "Samsung devices have been an issue because some of their software will work without issue when using an external device and some don't. I understand your frustration but there isn't anything we can do about this. The DC03 is Android compliant but companies can make changes to their system that can complicate this".
Maybe in the future I'll put an alternative OS like LineageOS or something and see if it changes anything. I'll update about the issue if I kept iBasso DC03 pro in the mean time. Right now still trying USB and battery related stuffs in the developer menu but no luck yet. Maybe Android 14 will solve those kind of issues with newer phones, who knows. I'll wait for their answer as well but not waiting for anything more than that I guess.
Do you think the wobbling port could be a matter of concern in the long term?

Since you have both, soundwise, how do you think DC03 pro and Space compare to each others? Same chip but DC03 pro is really more coloured / energetic compared to Space?
I just realized that my DC03 pro usb port is dangling as well, darn... and, well, I can be only surprised that iBasso is still in business...
Would it be a concern in the long term - really hard to tell...

I will be surprised if iBasso ever response meaningfully - if to take Shanling, as another Chi-Fi company - their simple attitude is that it is your problems, not our problems - we sold you 40-50% ready software, good enough for the price. You get what you pay for.

As for the sound, IBasso 03 pro feels now as delivering forcefully 'euphonic" cooked sound rendering. Similar to MSG in food - it may feel great at the first impression, but hardly in the long run.

Tanchcjim Space is more gentle with its spaciously enhanced treble. E44 is also treble-rich and a bit on a colder side, but a nice dongle as well, if you see a good deal. I really liked fixed cables of E44 - nothing to insert, nothing to wobble.
Lastly, AP10 is the most cost-effective relative of this dual/balanced Cirrus family to consider for your potential selection.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #5,154 of 6,485
Nice, pretty recent phone so you'll get Android 14 support with native bitperfect support and all. I should upgrade someday but I like this tiny phone with its prehistoric microSD slot and 3.5mm jack too much :L3000:

How do you find the battery life with the Space and Z flip3? Seems like a really interesting dongle now it has volume memory and an app. Filter options looks like the iBasso app ones too, have you heard any noticeable differences in sound switching them?

I wish they added a play/pause button, dongles with transport buttons (even with just a double click) are too rare, it's really convenient in the pocket to pause / skip a track, almost DAP experience. There's a convenient app to re-map the S10 bixby and volume buttons for transport abilities with great level of customisation but I'm not sure they kept that button with newer samsung models?

My previous phone before the Z Flip 3 was the S10, great phone, kinda the last of its kind sadly...
The Z Flip 3 battery life is known to be poor, small battery and not very efficient SOC, the Flip 4 is a bit better but still bellow average compared to classic phones.
It still fits my needs because i have a light use, but it's not for the heavy users fore sure.
I never did battery life test with the Tanchjim Space but i doubt it would survive a full day of computer work listening to music for exemple.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #5,155 of 6,485
I just realized that my DC03 pro usb port is dangling as well, darn... and, well, I can be only surprised that iBasso is still in business...
Would it be a concern in the long term - really hard to tell...

I will be surprised if iBasso ever response meaningfully - if to take Shanling, as another Chi-Fi company - their simple attitude is that it is your problems, not our problems - we sold you 40-50% ready software, good enough for the price. You get what you pay for.

As for the sound, IBasso 03 pro feels now as delivering forcefully 'euphonic" cooked sound rendering. Similar to MSG in food - it may feel great at the first impression, but hardly in the long run.

Tanchcjim Space is more gentle with its spaciously enhanced treble. E44 is also treble-rich and a bit on a colder side, but a nice dongle as well, if you see a good deal. I really liked fixed cables of E44 - nothing to insert, nothing to wobble.
Lastly, AP10 is the most cost-effective relative of this dual/balanced Cirrus family to consider for your potential selection.
It works directly everytime on galaxy tab s5e though, same android 12, really strange. I'll try with an old Tab S2 too out of curiosity, if I find a micro-usb OTG adapter.
I like the MSG metaphore for a dongle haha I get your point. Mostly listened it with electronic genres yet and I think it's pretty good for it. I feel it might get a bit fatiguing for long listening sessions though.

I picked DC03 pro over Space mostly because of its claimed efficiency (as you might know, battery life isn't the strongest point of S10, even worse with its little brother S10e). Also I was a bit afraid of added brightness / enhanced treble area often mentionned in Space reviews, if I pair it with an S12 pro. But since I'm all good in that regard with DC03 pro, you think I'll be safe with Space too?

BHD Pro with its future firmwares possibilities and all could have been another interesting choice if I trust your review of it. Now kind of regretting I didn't pull the trigger when it was heavily discounted.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #5,156 of 6,485
My previous phone before the Z Flip 3 was the S10, great phone, kinda the last of its kind sadly...
The Z Flip 3 battery life is known to be poor, small battery and not very efficient SOC, the Flip 4 is a bit better but still bellow average compared to classic phones.
It still fits my needs because i have a light use, but it's not for the heavy users fore sure.
I never did battery life test with the Tanchjim Space but i doubt it wouldn't survive a full day of computer work listening to music for exemple.
Newer S23 line seems to be an upgrade regarding efficiency and battery life.
Battery life is the worst point of S10e, I just changed it to keep it a bit longer, getting 20h with arround 6h screen on time now, not bad (factory reset helped, it will probably degrade adding more apps, notifications and all...) Do you use Bixby routines to improve battery life? I have one set to put the phone in eco mode, reduce brightness, not allowing notifications and all when Hiby app is launched for example.

Do you find Space enhance the treble area to the point it can get splashy / harsh paired with bright tendancy iems?

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #5,158 of 6,485
It works directly everytime on galaxy tab s5e though, same android 12, really strange. I'll try with an old Tab S2 too out of curiosity, if I find a micro-usb OTG adapter.
I like the MSG metaphore for a dongle haha I get your point. Mostly listened it with electronic genres yet and I think it's pretty good for it. I feel it might get a bit fatiguing for long listening sessions though.

I picked DC03 pro over Space mostly because of its claimed efficiency (as you might know, battery life isn't the strongest point of S10, even worse with its little brother S10e). Also I was a bit afraid of added brightness / enhanced treble area often mentionned in Space reviews, if I pair it with an S12 pro. But since I'm all good in that regard with DC03 pro, you think I'll be safe with Space too?

BHD Pro with its future firmwares possibilities and all could have been another interesting choice if I trust your review of it. Now kind of regretting I didn't pull the trigger when it was heavily discounted.
Just a few things to mention:
My DC04Pro USB connection disconnects easily when slightly bumped. It's annoying. The Space connection is rock solid. In my opinion, the BHD Pro doesn't sound as good as either the DC04Pro or the Space. It's good but just not on the same level. I'll try the firmware to see it that helps. I think the E44 is better, too. My DC04Pro works fine with my S22 Ultra, fwiw. Lastly, I don't think the Space is too splashy in the treble, as you say. It's still smooth-sounding and tonally beautiful, in my opinion, but not as rich with tone and resolution in the midrange as the DC04Pro. DC04Pro and Space both sound great to me, just different flavors.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #5,159 of 6,485
Interesting, BHD Pro 1st firmware update got released. I think they will release 5 more later. https://www.tempotec.net/pages/firmware-download

With the new firmware, BHD pro tonality sounds more neutral (but still a lil warm) than the 1st firmware, and removes a lot of the congestion in the lower mids/bass area. It sounds closer to Tanchjim Space to me, with some differences

BHD pro has noticeably more upfront mids compared to space, which results in smaller and shallower soundstage, and slightly more detailed and grand sounding mids. Overall sound is still a little bit smoother, warmer, tighter and less lean, crisp and airy than the space. Mids can get a bit too forward for my liking. its not just the upper mids being forward, but the lower mids too, but the extra detail in lower mids is a pleasant surprise. There is also a dip in energy in the treble somewhere, so it doesn't sound aggressive at all. In some ways it sounds more natural than Space, but overall I still prefer the Space for the safer tuning and more exciting presentation.

On another note, Tanchjim Space is really useable right now. No deafening pop when plugging in like the DC04pro, no deafening pop when unplugging like the BHD pro.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #5,160 of 6,485
Do you find Space enhance the treble area to the point it can get splashy / harsh paired with bright tendancy iems?
I don't have bright IEMS so i couldn't tell you... The Sennheiser IE800 highs are not shy, but i wouldn't consider them bright.
I think they pair well with the Space (and the Denon D9200 too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back