USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Sep 7, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #2,971 of 6,489
Not yet. I am slowing it down this month taking momentary break. Decided to buy IEMs instead and already got myself TForce Yuan Li (DLC DD), BQYEZ Spring 1 (Peizo DD), 7hz Timeless (Planar) and KBEAR Aurora (Titanium DD) coming in. So no funds left for dongles, LOL. Will resume in October I hope.
I have heard really good things about the 7hz; hope you enjoy all the ones you ordered.

IDK if you saw my post with question before my other one; I double posted......

Sep 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,972 of 6,489
I have heard really good things about the 7hz; hope you enjoy all the ones you ordered.

IDK if you saw my post with question before my other one; I double posted......
7hz arrived today. I will share my thoughts on it soon. First impressions, positive so far!

Sep 7, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #2,973 of 6,489
@OspreyAndy I received the Hiby FD3, havent put it up against the S9 Pro to see how it compares. I really like that the FD3 has external volume/play controls (something I didnt think I would need/like) and the 2.5/3.5/4.4mm ports all on the device itself, no adapters needed.

I was surprised to see the E44 rank #1 above the B1 and Groove! In your opinion, should I return the S9 Pro (I have 2 days left to return to Amazon) and get the E44 instead?

I probably will be using the dongle most with the Sony IER-Z1R (4.4mm) and Dunu SA6 (with 4.4mm adapter), but I have ALL the adapters to turn 4.4mm into other connections and to adapt 2.5mm to 4.4mm, so onboard output really isn't a huge deal.

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #2,974 of 6,489
@OspreyAndy I received the Hiby FD3, havent put it up against the S9 Pro to see how it compares. I really like that the FD3 has external volume/play controls (something I didnt think I would need/like) and the 2.5/3.5/4.4mm ports all on the device itself, no adapters needed.

I was surprised to see the E44 rank #1 above the B1 and Groove! In your opinion, should I return the S9 Pro (I have 2 days left to return to Amazon) and get the E44 instead?

I probably will be using the dongle most with the Sony IER-Z1R (4.4mm) and Dunu SA6 (with 4.4mm adapter), but I have ALL the adapters to turn 4.4mm into other connections and to adapt 2.5mm to 4.4mm, so onboard output really isn't a huge deal.
Lol. For my personal taste E44 offers everything I consider as ideal portable DAC/Amp. Again as a matter of personal taste yes I actually prefer E44 over S9 Pro. And I am keeping my longtime favorite B1 for that ethereal Electrostatic airy timbre. E44 provide me the power and balance needed for all of my favorite IEMs and Headphones, that versatility is unmatched by any other dongles I have ever tested so far

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #2,975 of 6,489
Not yet. I am slowing it down this month taking momentary break. Decided to buy IEMs instead and already got myself TForce Yuan Li (DLC DD), BQYEZ Spring 1 (Peizo DD), 7hz Timeless (Planar) and KBEAR Aurora (Titanium DD) coming in. So no funds left for dongles, LOL. Will resume in October I hope.
I know it's not relevant to this thread, but please let us know what you think of the 7Hz Timeless. I'd love to snag a set, but I have absolutely no justification for it (I'm on Mest and wife has inherited InEar Prophile 8s so neither of us need anything else). Really interested to hear others' opinions on it. Last year I would have bought it just for sheez and geez, but just bought apartment and money will be tight for a few years, so....

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #2,977 of 6,489
Fyi this lives in the pouch, pick up and go. Yes I find myself being a bit more aware because the extra connection although it's been almost a year and no loose connection.

20210908_153217.jpg

@dw1narso with UAPP I have let it use it's drivers, not obvious with the above but shanling ua2 and dragonfly black (original, I was an early adopter lol) has a LED indicator to confirm sample rate matching with UAPP.

Not sure how cumbersome the extra cable of tempotec e44 is but @OspreyAndy is making it tempting.. or get ibasso dc05 when it comes out knowing I like the ibasso. (Sorry @MelodyMood I am feeding the phone manufacturers/cabal!)

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #2,978 of 6,489
I'm currently using a Soditer USB dongle as a portable DAC. The sound quality for the price is great. While it's good I noticed when I switched to the S9 pro after using the Soditer for an hour I have the sensation the music is more spacious and outside of my headphones. I actually took them off to check. :)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #2,979 of 6,489
We've removed some posts that were getting away from the original message of the thread, finding the best USB-C to 3.5mm DAC/dongle, as they ended up taking the thread off-topic and into more general thoughts. We invite everyone who would like to debate the function of USB-C DACs and dongles to share their thoughts in the Sound Science forum, so let's please keep this thread on-topic and resume the search for the best USB-C to 3.5mm DAC. Thank you to everyone who kept the discussion on track, we greatly appreciate it.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2,981 of 6,489
Lol. For my personal taste E44 offers everything I consider as ideal portable DAC/Amp. Again as a matter of personal taste yes I actually prefer E44 over S9 Pro. And I am keeping my longtime favorite B1 for that ethereal Electrostatic airy timbre. E44 provide me the power and balance needed for all of my favorite IEMs and Headphones, that versatility is unmatched by any other dongles I have ever tested so far
I A/B my S9 Pro and Hiby FD3, hands down preferred the sound of the FD3. Sending back the S9 Pro today and ordered the E44 yesterday.

Lotoo teased this on their WeChat page today; saying “PAW S2, see you tomorrow”:
If the PAW 2 still has an EQ (PEQ would be definite buy) to boost the mids of the IER Z1R and has decent power for 4.4mm (hopefully dual DAC/dual amp), it will be an insta-buy for me.

Oh, so the PAW 1 only has preset EQs, not EQ that you can customize?

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2,982 of 6,489
I A/B my S9 Pro and Hiby FD3, hands down preferred the sound of the FD3. Sending back the S9 Pro today and ordered the E44 yesterday.

If the PAW 2 still has an EQ (PEQ would be definite buy) to boost the mids of the IER Z1R and has decent power for 4.4mm (hopefully dual DAC/dual amp), it will be an insta-buy for me.
I see there is a PAW S2 thread now, and someone else has already posted some info there: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lotoo-paw-s2-usb-dac-amp-thread-release-09-09.959582/
Lotoo just posted some more details on their WeChat account, so I’ll add anything else in that thread.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #2,983 of 6,489
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back