USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Sep 11, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #3,001 of 6,456
I just got the s9 pro about a week ago. I was really thinking about the E44 but decided on the s9. It sounds great, but after seeing andys review i had to try the e44. I had to shred the packaging to get it open, and after taking it out,i immediately thought "how in the **** are these attached cables going to last more than a month?". they look and feel like a strong wind could rip them out.

is the 3.5mm adapter balanced? I was using a normal cable on hd600's and the adapter kept disconnecting/ not working properly. And when it was connected something was off. Im ordering a balanced 4.4mm right now and im hoping the problem will dissipate.
Oh that's not good to hear.. I'm ordering one too.

The provided 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter is supposed to take the ground and one side of Left and Right channels to get 3.5mm single ended.

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #3,002 of 6,456
I sent back the S9P and should be receiving it today. The cables attached to the unit aren't my preference, but I'm not rough on my equipment. Hopefully they stay intact while riding around in my IEM case.

PS - it's really annoying that when you pay for Amazon Prime, they wait 5 days to send the package, then they send it for 2 day delivery, then it gets delayed and not delivered on the "guaranteed delivery date"

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #3,003 of 6,456
Have any of you found sources for good quality short (10cm or less) USB-C cables? There's not many options here in the UK I can find, Cygnett are good quality cables but their '10cm' are around 20cm all in. I'm fine with international recommendations. It seems there's a bit of gap in the market for these.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #3,004 of 6,456
Have any of you found sources for good quality short (10cm or less) USB-C cables? There's not many options here in the UK I can find, Cygnett are good quality cables but their '10cm' are around 20cm all in. I'm fine with international recommendations. It seems there's a bit of gap in the market for these?

Ddhifi tc05 ?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,005 of 6,456
@OspreyAndy I got the E44 yesterday, did a quick A/B with the FD3, but couldn't really compare them bc of noisy environment and interruptions.

I really hope you check out the FD3 soon and compare it with the 5 star dacs and see how it holds up. to me, ive been surprised how much i really like how the FD3 has sounded when i had low expectations when comparing specs.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #3,006 of 6,456
@OspreyAndy I got the E44 yesterday, did a quick A/B with the FD3, but couldn't really compare them bc of noisy environment and interruptions.

I really hope you check out the FD3 soon and compare it with the 5 star dacs and see how it holds up. to me, ive been surprised how much i really like how the FD3 has sounded when i had low expectations when comparing specs.
Awesome. For this month I am redirecting all of my funds on IEMs and Earbuds, refreshing my inventory. But plan to resume #donglemadness in October. Will surely check out FD3 and a few others.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #3,007 of 6,456
Have any of you found sources for good quality short (10cm or less) USB-C cables? There's not many options here in the UK I can find, Cygnett are good quality cables but their '10cm' are around 20cm all in. I'm fine with international recommendations. It seems there's a bit of gap in the market for these.
Assuming you're looking for Type C to Type C cable, the Amazon Basics cable is 8-10 cms and of very good quality. I'm using it with my BTR5 without any issues.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #3,008 of 6,456
So the female end of the 4.4 adapter is super loose and wont sit flush. Just sent it back. I noticed as well that while trying to get the 3.5 into it, it would distort not only from the 4.4 female end, but aalso if the cable that feeds into the dongle was messed with. The truth is that having the volume controls on the dongle is making me unfairly take away from the S9 pro. If it had them, I wouldn't care a bit. E44 and those weak strands posing as wires don't stand a chance against my clumsy ass. I'll be lucky if It last 3 months

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #3,009 of 6,456
So the female end of the 4.4 adapter is super loose and wont sit flush. Just sent it back. I noticed as well that while trying to get the 3.5 into it, it would distort not only from the 4.4 female end, but aalso if the cable that feeds into the dongle was messed with. The truth is that having the volume controls on the dongle is making me unfairly take away from the S9 pro. If it had them, I wouldn't care a bit. E44 and those weak strands posing as wires don't stand a chance against my clumsy ass. I'll be lucky if It last 3 months
Have you try communicate this to Tempotec? I think they are quite reaponsive for issues..

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #3,010 of 6,456
I will try and keep this simple.

I am looking at either the earmen eagle or Astell & Kern pee51 to use with a samsung phone and the IE 300 iem's. Has anyone got any experience or better suggestions around the same price mark.

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #3,012 of 6,456
Oh sorry to hear that.... I found them quite responsive on their own AliExpress store.
I wish service like Amazon available in my country... we can return stuff to Amazon with minimum effort and even the shipment covered...

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #3,013 of 6,456
Oh sorry to hear that.... I found them quite responsive on their own AliExpress store.
I wish service like Amazon available in my country... we can return stuff to Amazon with minimum effort and even the shipment covered...
That's how it usually is. Any other thing from Amazon I can take to one of 5 different spots in town and they will ship it back free out of packaging and everything. I was very surprised. It was however, handled by automation.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #3,014 of 6,456
I will try and keep this simple.

I am looking at either the earmen eagle or Astell & Kern pee51 to use with a samsung phone and the IE 300 iem's. Has anyone got any experience or better suggestions around the same price mark.
I just posted in the PEE51 thread earlier, I picked one of them up today. Only had an afternoon of listening so far but it's quite impressive. I'm using it with my laptop, so can't comment on how much battery drain there would be on a phone (I have an iPhone and the PEE51 doesn't work with it). I haven't heard the Eagle though so can't offer any comparisons on that front.

The Chronos I've had for a few weeks has a slightly thinner sound than the PEE51, but having said that once I let my mind adjust to it, the Chronos is fine and doesn't seem thin over longer term listening. The Chronos has more mid-lower treble emphasis, and the impression of a bass hump - I say impression as it's not as if the frequency is playing louder, just that it's tuned to have a decent amount of punch and hit in a mid-upper bass region, which tends to make you feel or notice that part of the frequency spectrum more. It's also quite emotive and every now and then I'll find myself enjoying some particular nuance in the harmony or melody.

The PEE51 on the other hand has a more even approach across the bass spectrum, and feels like it has a fuller sound with more bass presence or reach down low. Still has plenty of punch too. Chronos itself has great dimensionality and sense of space, but I think the PEE51 beats it; really nice placement of instruments that helps keep everything distinct and separated. Overall the PEE51 sounds smooth but still detailed. Quite impressive what they've done with it, and it's cheaper than the Chronos too - but with less support for different devices. I think it will probably have more current draw and drain more battery than Chronos though, although don't have any way to test this directly (I'm guessing the PEE51 exceeds the iPhone threshold for device current draw, which is why it isn't marketed as supporting iPhone use). The PEE51 does get a little warm, but not bad at all even after a few hours on end; certainly less than Mojo if that's any use as a comparison.

Anyway, which one is necessarily best? I don't know, it seems after some time in this hobby all it really comes down to is things sound different, and which sound signature someone likes better is usually a matter preference.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #3,015 of 6,456
I just posted in the PEE51 thread earlier, I picked one of them up today. Only had an afternoon of listening so far but it's quite impressive. I'm using it with my laptop, so can't comment on how much battery drain there would be on a phone (I have an iPhone and the PEE51 doesn't work with it). I haven't heard the Eagle though so can't offer any comparisons on that front.

The Chronos I've had for a few weeks has a slightly thinner sound than the PEE51, but having said that once I let my mind adjust to it, the Chronos is fine and doesn't seem thin over longer term listening. The Chronos has more mid-lower treble emphasis, and the impression of a bass hump - I say impression as it's not as if the frequency is playing louder, just that it's tuned to have a decent amount of punch and hit in a mid-upper bass region, which tends to make you feel or notice that part of the frequency spectrum more. It's also quite emotive and every now and then I'll find myself enjoying some particular nuance in the harmony or melody.

The PEE51 on the other hand has a more even approach across the bass spectrum, and feels like it has a fuller sound with more bass presence or reach down low. Still has plenty of punch too. Chronos itself has great dimensionality and sense of space, but I think the PEE51 beats it; really nice placement of instruments that helps keep everything distinct and separated. Overall the PEE51 sounds smooth but still detailed. Quite impressive what they've done with it, and it's cheaper than the Chronos too - but with less support for different devices. I think it will probably have more current draw and drain more battery than Chronos though, although don't have any way to test this directly (I'm guessing the PEE51 exceeds the iPhone threshold for device current draw, which is why it isn't marketed as supporting iPhone use). The PEE51 does get a little warm, but not bad at all even after a few hours on end; certainly less than Mojo if that's any use as a comparison.

Anyway, which one is necessarily best? I don't know, it seems after some time in this hobby all it really comes down to is things sound different, and which sound signature someone likes better is usually a matter preference.
Thank you.. In the end, I found a hiby fc3 on ebay for a good price so went for that. if it isn't right then i think it will be the PEE51 next

Users who are viewing this thread

Back