USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Sep 25, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #3,031 of 6,456
Any A&K PEE51 users who have an iPad Pro - does it work with the PEE51? I'm trying to figure out if the "doesn't work on iPhone" is an undercurrent thing or a flat out iOS incompatibility. Thanks for any info!

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #3,032 of 6,456
A new Xduoo link to fight against S9 Pro?

1632614942030.png

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #3,033 of 6,456
Any A&K PEE51 users who have an iPad Pro - does it work with the PEE51? I'm trying to figure out if the "doesn't work on iPhone" is an undercurrent thing or a flat out iOS incompatibility. Thanks for any info!
I can’t get it to work with an iPad 5th gen I have at hand. The power light doesn’t on when connected and it doesn’t show up as an audio output option.

Mind you, I do have to use a few interconnects to get to a USB-C socket for the PEE51 to plug into, so that could be one explanation:
FAB8240C-83D2-4727-BF6E-D2D9B565061C.jpeg

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #3,034 of 6,456
I can’t get it to work with an iPad 5th gen I have at hand. The power light doesn’t on when connected and it doesn’t show up as an audio output option.

Mind you, I do have to use a few interconnects to get to a USB-C socket for the PEE51 to plug into, so that could be one explanation:
FAB8240C-83D2-4727-BF6E-D2D9B565061C.jpeg
Lightening offers pretty low voltage. I'm hoping that the iPad Pro won't suffer that because it has a full power USB C port... but I don't wanna spend $150 to find out.

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #3,036 of 6,456
Mine works off a iPad mini and iPhone XR.
I use a ddHifi lightning to usb-c adapter.
Hmm that’s interesting. When I connect that lightning-USB-A/USB-A to C combo with PEE51 to my iPhone 12 mini I get the old “accessory unavailable/uses too much power” error message. I wonder if the ddHiFi adapter overcomes that somehow.

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #3,037 of 6,456
This is not my list, it's from @OspreyAndy
https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/

You'll have to check for yourself which are balanced and which are not. I followed his advice and got the Ovidius B1, it matched his review and description to a "t" and as such, I have been very VERY happy with it. All this to say, I consider Andy to be someone who expresses themselves clearly and whose opinion I can trust :)

Good luck!!

edit: Sorry - just noticed you said DAP, not DAC. I assume you meant DAC (that you can plug into the USB socket of your phone) as opposed to DAP (standalone Digital Audio Player). For DAP, I bought the iBasso DX220 with Amp8 (Balanced) and I love it to bits. Now the 300 has been released and I believe it may be even better.
You went above and beyond on this, thank you. Answer came after I ordered FD3, will see how it goes. Seemed like safe bet regarding supported sockets. Was looking at both options, not fully determined what to use yet. Data in computer, cant fit all in phone.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #3,038 of 6,456
Sep 27, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #3,040 of 6,456
I'm interested in some opinions in the FD3 also, not much out there.
This is just my opinion, but the FD3 sounds great with the IER-Z1R. I prefer it over the Chord Mojo and E44 (although I have not done any "formal" tests or tried them with other IEMs). I really like how all 3 port sizes are integrated and the vol up/vol down/play,pause,skip are all included; I didn't think I would care, but I have quickly come to appreciate it.

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #3,041 of 6,456
This is just my opinion, but the FD3 sounds great with the IER-Z1R. I prefer it over the Chord Mojo and E44 (although I have not done any "formal" tests or tried them with other IEMs). I really like how all 3 port sizes are integrated and the vol up/vol down/play,pause,skip are all included; I didn't think I would care, but I have quickly come to appreciate it.
Yes, the multiple port and controls are what are attracting me to this device also.

What are you feeding it from (Android, iPhone, DAP, etc.)?

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #3,042 of 6,456
IER-Z1R 4.4mm -> FD3 -> OTG usb-c to lightning cable -> iphone 12 pro max

apple music lossless

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3,043 of 6,456
Let me know what you think of it.
Used to use LeTV x600 which has some sort of audio chip, cant find specs anymore, other than that, directly from laptop jack(sometimes with neco soundlabs v4?) So never had proper source DAC or other if not counting old Panasonic portable CD player. Most music in FLAC thou. Point is this FD3 will be best source for now so comparison could get biassed(wanted to have at least something to compare against Burson to see if it is worth the money to save up to).

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #3,044 of 6,456

Thanks for this suggestion, they clearly made the USB connector an extra tight fit as it's the only one which doesn't move in my phone's port whatsoever.

I find using the supplied HiBy FC3 cable or Soditer dongle fairly reliable but they can still cut out occasionally. The ddHiFi cable is lightweight, supple yet a very solid connection.

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #3,045 of 6,456
Hi all!
I'm looking for small, light and comfortable on-the-go "type-c dongle" with average power consumption.
I prefer detailed, well-balanced, musical sound with good sense of space.
My primary earphones are Oriveti OH500 (with very low impedance). I like them so much and after my Opus #1S was broken down, I decided to try something with my phone.
I don't use Tidal, so MQA-support is unnecessary for me.
Could someone, who has the same music criteria, advice me several options?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back