USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Sep 29, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #3,050 of 6,456
What are peoples thoughts on the PEE51 v the S9 Pro?
Both are very powerful dongles. However PEE51 is very energetic and euphonic, while S9 Pro is faithfully neutral and smoother. The decision to choose either one will depend on taste and preferences. Both are already very technically competent

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #3,052 of 6,456
I have the PEE51 already. I've been having issues with it disconnecting from my S21. I think the plug is only just long enough and if the weight of the dongle shifts it a fraction, it disconnects. It's almost impossible to put it into my pocket without it disconnecting. I've had this problem with other dongles on Samsung phones too, so maybe it's an issue with the jack not the plug?

Anyway, I'm going to try the S9 Pro too I think. I think a longer cable from the dongle to the phone and maybe using the clip to attach it inside my pocket will work much better for the way I want to use it. I'll post some sound impressions of the two as well.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #3,053 of 6,456
Im looking to buy a pair of Moondrop SSP for commute listening with my Huawei P20.

Does a DDHifi TC35B can work well with the combo?
Im looking for something in that price range and small form factor, or similar to the tempotec Sonata HD II.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #3,054 of 6,456
Im looking to buy a pair of Moondrop SSP for commute listening with my Huawei P20.

Im looking for something in that price range and small form factor, or similar to the tempotec Sonata HD II.

If you want to listen while commuting, please think carefully about noise isolation. I have Moondrop SSP, they're pretty open, literally ALL noise gets to your ear.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #3,055 of 6,456
If you want to listen while commuting, please think carefully about noise isolation. I have Moondrop SSP, they're pretty open, literally ALL noise gets to your ear.

Indeed, there is an itch to boost the volume to overcome the noisy environment, and that is not safe for hearing health in the long term, when a poorly isolating IEM is used.

Also bass is generally the first frequency to be lost in a noisy environment, so the FR of the IEM will definitely be skewed if there is sub par isolation. It will sound less bassy and potentially brighter/shoutier.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #3,056 of 6,456

This iem is very easy to drive and the ddHiFi TC35B is going to be sufficient.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #3,057 of 6,456
I have the PEE51 already. I've been having issues with it disconnecting from my S21. I think the plug is only just long enough and if the weight of the dongle shifts it a fraction, it disconnects. It's almost impossible to put it into my pocket without it disconnecting. I've had this problem with other dongles on Samsung phones too, so maybe it's an issue with the jack not the plug?

Anyway, I'm going to try the S9 Pro too I think. I think a longer cable from the dongle to the phone and maybe using the clip to attach it inside my pocket will work much better for the way I want to use it. I'll post some sound impressions of the two as well.
I find putting a tiny rubber ring around the base of the usb-c really helps connection stability - a millimetre or so cut off of an old silicone eartip tube works well.

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #3,058 of 6,456
Thanks for the info, indeed I always skipped the isolation part in reviews becouse all the small number of in ear i've used always have "plug" effect that isolate me too much, never imagined an "open" IEM! I mostly started looking into it becouse of their aesthetic and size, then, reading some reviews i also discovered that are usually well-regarded for their performance in the price point. But if thats the case maybe I have to look elsewhere!
Indeed, there is an itch to boost the volume to overcome the noisy environment, and that is not safe for hearing health in the long term, when a poorly isolating IEM is used.

Also bass is generally the first frequency to be lost in a noisy environment, so the FR of the IEM will definitely be skewed if there is sub par isolation. It will sound less bassy and potentially brighter/shoutier.
Indeed, im usually not a bass-head, nor a high volume listener, and id like to keep this habit for the sake of my hearing, so i think i'll try to look elsewhere
This iem is very easy to drive and the ddHiFi TC35B is going to be sufficient.
In reviews they said that generally those are not the easiest IEMs to drive, thats why i was a bit worried! Thanks for the info, if I'll end with the SSP i'm pretty sure i will pair with that DAC.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #3,059 of 6,456
Thanks for the info, indeed I always skipped the isolation part in reviews becouse all the small number of in ear i've used always have "plug" effect that isolate me too much, never imagined an "open" IEM! I mostly started looking into it becouse of their aesthetic and size, then, reading some reviews i also discovered that are usually well-regarded for their performance in the price point. But if thats the case maybe I have to look elsewhere!

Indeed, im usually not a bass-head, nor a high volume listener, and id like to keep this habit for the sake of my hearing, so i think i'll try to look elsewhere

In reviews they said that generally those are not the easiest IEMs to drive, thats why i was a bit worried! Thanks for the info, if I'll end with the SSP i'm pretty sure i will pair with that DAC.

According to specs
112dB/Vrms@1kHz they need just 1V to reach 112db.
The usual issue is that all this low power dongles are current limited when it comes to 16Ω loads so you might not be able to run it in it's full potential.

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #3,060 of 6,456
According to specs
112dB/Vrms@1kHz they need just 1V to reach 112db.
The usual issue is that all this low power dongles are current limited when it comes to 16Ω loads so you might not be able to run it in it's full potential.
I know its not the right place, but you have any raccomandation for a pair of IEM for commuting, if i choose to get the ddHiFi TC35B?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back