USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #2,956 of 6,468
Samsung Galaxy S20 with true USB 3.0 Power Delivery 900mA is more than enough to drive Hidizs S9 Pro to the fullest potential. S20 can even drive the "laptop only" mammoth of Apogee Groove without breaking sweat, let alone a very efficient dongle like S9 Pro
Any suggestions on why it doesn't work with the S20? It doesn't register there's anything plugged in whereas the Meizu HiFi picks up straight away and even shows the brand in the HiBy app. It seems strange it doesn't work with such a common phone.

Does anyone here have an S20 and knows of any reliable dongles which definitely work with it?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,957 of 6,468
Any suggestions on why it doesn't work with the S20? It just doesn't register there's anything plugged in whereas the Meizu HiFi picks up straight away and even shows the brand in the HiBy app. It seems strange it doesn't work with such a common phone.

Does anyone here have a S20 and knows of any reliable dongles which definitely work with it?
I use Samsung Galaxy S20 as my primary phone and DAP. Check your OTG settings in Developer Mode if you must. Also, have you adjust the cable on the S9 Pro? Adjusting the USB cable may work to resolve the issue as I have seen instances S9 and S9 Pro not firing up when a wrong cable is used or even the USB is inserted wrongly

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #2,958 of 6,468
I use Samsung Galaxy S20 as my primary phone and DAP. Check your OTG settings in Developer Mode if you must. Also, have you adjust the cable on the S9 Pro? Adjusting the USB cable may work to resolve the issue as I have seen instances S9 and S9 Pro not firing up when a wrong cable is used or even the USB is inserted wrongly
Interesting review of the E44. I still prefer the S9 Pro from my friend, but now I guess I am the exception.

"All things considered. TempoTec E44 being the most powerful, reference grade fidelity, exceptional synergy factor, amazing tonal balance, great compatibility, very usable features, compact solid build, excellent duality for sensitive and less sensitive pairing – I genuinely believe E44 deserve the crown of #donglemadness."

https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/tempotec-sonata-e44/

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #2,962 of 6,468
Question: How can I improve the DAC of my Samsung Phone? Is there any App I can use? Currently using PowerAmp which is good but I am wondering if there is any way to improve DAC of the Phone? Or PowerAmp is best app (I tried others like HiBy, Onkyo etc.) but they are not anywhere near PowerAmp.

Don't believe in external USB C to 3.5mm Connectors or DACs which actually prevents Direct connection of Phone and Earphones and greatly ruin the sound quality and make it complete garbage in reality. But they are great for phone companies to increase their sales :)

Sep 5, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #2,963 of 6,468
I use Apple european dongle since I am french and it sounds just a bit too short for AKG 712 Pro (not for the overall loudness since 66-75% is enough), not far but it is like 95% of the audible quality of my motherboard=1000 euros DAC. I read that the european dongle are nerfed (like Sony Walkman DAPs which are limited in loudness due to EU policy), so it might explain that. It is still quite good for the price.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #2,964 of 6,468
Thanks for the suggestions the USB connections on the ones I've tried have been too loose but good to know they're not all like that.

I received an S9 Pro today and unfortunately the device isn't picked up by the HiBy app. I've enabled USB debugging mode and exclusive USB access in the HiBy app but if I play music it just plays through the speakers. Any tips? I have a Samsung S20

The Meizu HiFi was picked up by HiBy Music no problem so think it's down to the S9 rather than the app or the phone.

the usb c to usb c cable that came with my s9 pro has been giving me problems. About to order a new one. Will every usb c to usb c cable work the same or are some which are 3.1 not be compatible ?

The C-C cable included with Hidizs products is unidirectional, which is not how USB-C cables are supposed to work. Virtually any other C-C cable will work fine either way.

Are there any good dongles that are not power-hungry? I currently have an iBasso DC03 and it consumes a heck lot of power. My current phone (Flip 3) has a weak battery, so I don't even try to use them together. It would ruin it.
Perhaps something without a DAC, if possible? As long as it doesn't ruin the quality too bad, I'd be happy...
The Xumee adapter is comparable to the Apple dongle in terms of power consumption:

Xumee:

Xumee.jpg

Apple dongle:

Apple Dongle.png

DSC09120.jpg

The Audirect Atom 2’s primary differentiating factors are its extremely compact form factor and its laudable standards compliance. In most other respects, it is adequate but not exceptional.

My full review is up on my blog: https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/audirect-atom-2-review-5d6d02ffd50f

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,965 of 6,468
Thanks for the suggestions the USB connections on the ones I've tried have been too loose but good to know they're not all like that.

I received an S9 Pro today and unfortunately the device isn't picked up by the HiBy app. I've enabled USB debugging mode and exclusive USB access in the HiBy app but if I play music it just plays through the speakers. Any tips? I have a Samsung S20

The Meizu HiFi was picked up by HiBy Music no problem so think it's down to the S9 rather than the app or the phone.

So I think I figured it out, for some reason when first connecting I have to plug the USB cable into the phone, then into the S9 Pro otherwise it doesn't power up. If it's been playing a while though I can disconnect and reconnect without unplugging the cable from the DAC. A quirk I suppose.

My first impressions are that the sound is clean and clear, the highs are a tad harsh with the in ear Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd but the sound is very well rounded with the over ear DT770 80Ω. These aren't very power hungry headphones so there's a lot of headroom. The USB connection is better than the Meizu HiFi I received as the connection doesn't drop out when moving.

I can't say for sure if the sound is as good or even better than the DAP I've used for years as it could just be a little different. It does generally sound great though, I'm hearing crisp details in well known tunes. With this sound quality and not having to carry an additional dedicated device for music, so far I'm a dongle convert. :)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #2,968 of 6,468
Hi guys, I'm giving UAPP a spin and finding that with the S9 pro the headroom is much less compared to the HiBy app in USB DAC mode, using hardware volume. It's as loud as I need it with my current headphones but it's maxed out and only using DT770 80ohm. With HiBy there was a huge amount of headroom comparatively.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #2,969 of 6,468
@OspreyAndy I received the Hiby FD3, havent put it up against the S9 Pro to see how it compares. I really like that the FD3 has external volume/play controls (something I didnt think I would need/like) and the 2.5/3.5/4.4mm ports all on the device itself, no adapters needed.

I was surprised to see the E44 rank #1 above the B1 and Groove! In your opinion, should I return the S9 Pro (I have 2 days left to return to Amazon) and get the E44 instead?

Edit: I probably will be using the dongle most with the Sony IER-Z1R (4.4mm) and Dunu SA6 (with 4.4mm adapter), but I have ALL the adapters to turn 4.4mm into other connections and to adapt 2.5mm to 4.4mm, so onboard output really isn't a huge deal.

Also, is the FD3 incoming for you soon? @OspreyAndy

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,970 of 6,468
Also, is the FD3 incoming for you soon? @OspreyAndy
Not yet. I am slowing it down this month taking momentary break. Decided to buy IEMs instead and already got myself TForce Yuan Li (DLC DD), BQYEZ Spring 1 (Peizo DD), 7hz Timeless (Planar) and KBEAR Aurora (Titanium DD) coming in. So no funds left for dongles, LOL. Will resume in October I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back