USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Aug 30, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #2,926 of 6,414
@OspreyAndy I noticed your updates with pressure testing and ibasso dc04 for bumped down for not performing well with higher demanding headphones. I also saw that this was done on an older iPhone with usb2.0. did you also do any testing with USB3.0 or android? I'm just wondering if there was a Power/compatibility issue. I remember reading another high ranking dac comment where you changed the source with improved results.

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #2,927 of 6,414
@OspreyAndy I noticed your updates with pressure testing and ibasso dc04 for bumped down for not performing well with higher demanding headphones. I also saw that this was done on an older iPhone with usb2.0. did you also do any testing with USB3.0 or android? I'm just wondering if there was a Power/compatibility issue. I remember reading another high ranking dac comment where you changed the source with improved results.
Unfortunately I was not able to test the DC04 with my Samsung Galaxy S20 (USB 3.0 PD) as my phone came later. However worth to mention that the other top performers did not buckled up even with USB 2.0 PD (S9, S9 Pro, Shanling UA2). The ones that performed a lot better with USB 3.0 was the E1DA 9038SG3 - scalability of that unit surprised me a lot

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #2,928 of 6,414
Thanks for the reply 👍

I have the ua2 and dc04 and compare directly with galaxy s10e output.

Using the Sony m9 IEMs there was a negligible difference between the galaxy s10e and ua2. There was, however, a noticeable difference with the dc04 which seemed to give a wider stage/stereo imaging, better separation and sounded less 'full'. Overall it sounded more 'reference' and controlled with more defined note beginnings and ends. It did sound 'dryer' though and potentially be described as less dynamic.

For some reason this wasn't noticeable with other IEMs I tried like the w60 or fh3.

I really want to use the ua2 but without sounding any different than my mobile phone (with my IEMs) theres not a lot of necessity for it.

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,929 of 6,414
Hiby FD3 finally received. From my short time with it I discovered it definitely is UAC2 (no PS5 support), sounds really good, I like the exterior buttons to control the music, really like that it has 2.5/3.5/4.4 outputs. Wish it was a little more compact so I could fit it into the IEM case, but it's understandable for having dual amp/dacs and 3 output options.

I'll have to do a comparison against the S9 Pro.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #2,930 of 6,414
Didn't mean to do this piecemeal, but -
Today I gave the Ovidius B1 its first proper go, listening on the way to work. A YouTube channel had been recommended for Progressive House so I listened to that (I don't have Spotify or Tidal but after today, I'm wondering if I should....)
Um...I was pretty blown away, to be honest.
Like I said in the previous post, I came at the B1 with high expectations and it fell a little short of them (and I think my expectations were unreasonable)
Now as I move past that, I'm able to enjoy and appreciate the sound that the B1 delivers through the Mest and DAMN it's really pretty good. Staging was impressive, audio reproduction was crisp, clear and plenty of kick in the low end. I really enjoyed listening to it.

We spend a lot of time critically appraising the gear we have, actively listening and focusing on specific areas. Then sometimes we get to just reap the rewards of our research and purchases and simply enjoy the music. And there are times when, if we've made good choices according to our tastes, we kind of get to do both - really enjoy the music while at the same time marveling at the quality of reproduction. That was me today.

Chuffed!!

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,931 of 6,414
Got my hidizs DH80S at about $100 on sale. Wow this thing is powerful, I'm using a volume of 2/100 on the lowest gain (out of 3 gains) on desktop for my iems (sensitive ones but yea).

Sound signature is easy to enjoy out of the box. Warmish and even signature. I love the squarish bulky look lol. Sounds similar to by JDS atom amp but the sound feels tighter. Maybe not as resolving as W2 but this is such a comfy sound.

20210831_232041.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #2,932 of 6,414
JCALLY released their "flagship"JM40 using ES9280C PRO.

Screenshot_20210831-171833~2.png

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtxARDh

Might cop it as JM20 is quite good.

P.S. My Conexant CX31993 gave in with less than 50 hours of gentle out-of-pocket use on it- hissing bad now. Very suspect QC, but no surprise. Will not be ordering a replacement, it sounds alright but not as polished as JM20.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #2,933 of 6,414
Picked up a Violectric Chronos yesterday. It’s small, smaller than I expected from the photos, just a bit bigger than a USB A-C adapter or a few keys on my keyboard:
C4F92AC3-0EAA-4E78-8C40-AFA98C5EF1B4.jpeg2D2FF542-B444-4508-B623-DD1B42BCEF66.jpeg

Thoughts:
It’s powerful. I’m using B&W P7s, which are 22 ohms and 111dB/V so easy to drive. But I have volume set at 8-9 out of 100 when plugged into my laptop. From iPhone it’s a bit more reasonable as the output from the device is obviously weaker, and I’m around halfway on the volume slider with my iPhone.
I do actually wish companies would put out some lower power dongles. I know that sounds crazy but how much power do you need for portable use? the problem I’ve had with any Dragonfly/Spectra X etc that doesn’t have its own volume control is that it’s so loud from a Windows PC that you lose fine volume control, ending up in the <10 scale on the Windows slider, so each increment is ~10% extra volume.

Thankfully the Chronos has volume buttons, which was also a draw card for me to try it. It gives you 50 steps on Windows and 15/16 on an iPhone. That’s not too bad, but I sometimes find I have to resort to the slider on HF player (iPhone) or fiddling with laptop volume to try and dial in a more exact volume that suits me.

But the volume control isn’t truly independent either - the buttons on the Chronos change the volume on the Windows, Audirvana or iPhone slider - i.e. up 2 on Windows slider, or about 3dB on Audirvana. I swear my old DacMagic XS had 50 steps of volume but you could set a volume on Windows, then have 50 steps on the device itself, so it allowed fine tuning and was a much better design. Anyway, I can set an okay volume and I find it much better than no volume buttons (as with Dragonflys) but not as good as other dongles like the XS.

That rant out of the way :wink: how does it sound?
It’s good, overall there’s a bit of mid-lower treble focus, so vocals and mid-range instruments are very clear. It doesn’t have as much bass slam as my DAPs or the Mojo, but I wouldn’t expect as much from a dongle. So I’d say bass is present and reasonable for a device this size. Treble is good, well-controlled and not harsh at all. Even though I do prefer a bit more bass impact it does actually have a nice, balanced sound - good spatial information and imaging, and quite a ‘more-ish’ easy to listen to natural tonality.

Minor point, it might have been better to have the option to turn the light off, since it’s just permanently on when in use. Also there’s only white (for connected), green (for PCM) or red (for DSD), so the light doesn’t provide as much information about sample rate etc. as other devices like the Mojo. Since I don’t have any DSD files for me it’s just permanently this Hulk/Kermit/cartoon toxic waste green glow :wink:
93E496BA-BC2E-4EA8-9BAC-D6ECB7F344DA.jpeg
One bonus is it works well with the iPhone using the included lightning cable, so no need for the awkward CCK intermediary. Also no heat build up that I’ve noticed.

Sorry I’ve been out of the dongle market for some time so don’t have any others at hand to compare it with. My Plenue R2 is probably the closest comparison, using dual CS43131 instead of the single in Chronos. They have a similar, detailed, revealing tonality. The R2 has more bass heft, and all the EQ options, but I think Chronos might actually have better spatial depth and more front/back extension instead of more left-right presentation of the R2. Overall the R2 is a more dynamic, intense listen, but the Chronos may well be better for long-term listening. Also, so far I feel that Chronos might actually sound better from my iPhone than from Audirvana/laptop.

Anyway, I’m not sure if it’s a keeper yet - W2 has 100 volume steps and might be better for my use case scenario, but Chronos is easy to use and does sound impressive for such a small device. The question for Violectric will be how it compares to similarly priced options from Earmen, Audioquest, Luxury&Precision etc.

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #2,934 of 6,414
Picked up a Violectric Chronos yesterday. It’s small, smaller than I expected from the photos, just a bit bigger than a USB A-C adapter or a few keys on my keyboard:
C4F92AC3-0EAA-4E78-8C40-AFA98C5EF1B4.jpeg2D2FF542-B444-4508-B623-DD1B42BCEF66.jpeg

Thoughts:
It’s powerful. I’m using B&W P7s, which are 22 ohms and 111dB/V so easy to drive. But I have volume set at 8-9 out of 100 when plugged into my laptop. From iPhone it’s a bit more reasonable as the output from the device is obviously weaker, and I’m around halfway on the volume slider with my iPhone.
I do actually wish companies would put out some lower power dongles. I know that sounds crazy but how much power do you need for portable use? the problem I’ve had with any Dragonfly/Spectra X etc that doesn’t have its own volume control is that it’s so loud from a Windows PC that you lose fine volume control, ending up in the <10 scale on the Windows slider, so each increment is ~10% extra volume.

Thankfully the Chronos has volume buttons, which was also a draw card for me to try it. It gives you 50 steps on Windows and 15/16 on an iPhone. That’s not too bad, but I sometimes find I have to resort to the slider on HF player (iPhone) or fiddling with laptop volume to try and dial in a more exact volume that suits me.

But the volume control isn’t truly independent either - the buttons on the Chronos change the volume on the Windows, Audirvana or iPhone slider - i.e. up 2 on Windows slider, or about 3dB on Audirvana. I swear my old DacMagic XS had 50 steps of volume but you could set a volume on Windows, then have 50 steps on the device itself, so it allowed fine tuning and was a much better design. Anyway, I can set an okay volume and I find it much better than no volume buttons (as with Dragonflys) but not as good as other dongles like the XS.

That rant out of the way :wink: how does it sound?
It’s good, overall there’s a bit of mid-lower treble focus, so vocals and mid-range instruments are very clear. It doesn’t have as much bass slam as my DAPs or the Mojo, but I wouldn’t expect as much from a dongle. So I’d say bass is present and reasonable for a device this size. Treble is good, well-controlled and not harsh at all. Even though I do prefer a bit more bass impact it does actually have a nice, balanced sound - good spatial information and imaging, and quite a ‘more-ish’ easy to listen to natural tonality.

Minor point, it might have been better to have the option to turn the light off, since it’s just permanently on when in use. Also there’s only white (for connected), green (for PCM) or red (for DSD), so the light doesn’t provide as much information about sample rate etc. as other devices like the Mojo. Since I don’t have any DSD files for me it’s just permanently this Hulk/Kermit/cartoon toxic waste green glow :wink:
93E496BA-BC2E-4EA8-9BAC-D6ECB7F344DA.jpeg
One bonus is it works well with the iPhone using the included lightning cable, so no need for the awkward CCK intermediary. Also no heat build up that I’ve noticed.

Sorry I’ve been out of the dongle market for some time so don’t have any others at hand to compare it with. My Plenue R2 is probably the closest comparison, using dual CS43131 instead of the single in Chronos. They have a similar, detailed, revealing tonality. The R2 has more bass heft, and all the EQ options, but I think Chronos might actually have better spatial depth and more front/back extension instead of more left-right presentation of the R2. Overall the R2 is a more dynamic, intense listen, but the Chronos may well be better for long-term listening. Also, so far I feel that Chronos might actually sound better from my iPhone than from Audirvana/laptop.

Anyway, I’m not sure if it’s a keeper yet - W2 has 100 volume steps and might be better for my use case scenario, but Chronos is easy to use and does sound impressive for such a small device. The question for Violectric will be how it compares to similarly priced options from Earmen, Audioquest, Luxury&Precision etc.
Also how does it compare to another cs43131 based dongle ibasso dc03?

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,935 of 6,414
Have any of you found any truly portable USB DACs? In my experience so far it seems they often have issues where if you touch the USB connection the sound cuts out or pauses.

I appreciate being able to have lossless quality when sitting around with my phone and not needing a separate DAP, I'd just also like to be able to walk around and listen to music with my phone, being able to easily take it out my pocket etc.

I'm starting to think that Bluetooth may be necessary for true portability if you don't have a 3.5mm output.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #2,937 of 6,414
Have any of you found any truly portable USB DACs? In my experience so far it seems they often have issues where if you touch the USB connection the sound cuts out or pauses.

I appreciate being able to have lossless quality when sitting around with my phone and not needing a DAP, I'd just also like to be able to walk around and listen to music with my phone, being able to easily take it out my pocket etc.

I'm starting to think that Bluetooth may be necessary for true portability if you don't have a 3.5mm output.
For portability reason, I'm not interested to get dongle that have 'stick' shape.

There are few dongle that looked just merely as two connectors at two ends of short cable.

I have Qudelix 5K, that can act as BT dongle and USB DAC. But for portability and sound reason I prefer to use the CX Pro 31993 and very happy with it. I got it after raading OspreyAndy articles of donglemadness comparison (used to be in Head-Fi but ported outside. Just google "donglemadness"). Lately he recommended Avani DAC of the same format.

Just make sure that if you use usb DAC, whenever possible try as much to use Music player that could drive the USB DAC directly and not via mobile phone audio mixer. The two best I found are Neutron Music Player and USB Audio Player Pro.

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #2,939 of 6,414

I appreciate being able to have lossless quality when sitting around with my phone and not needing a DAP, I'd just also like to be able to walk around and listen to music with my phone, being able to easily take it out my pocket etc.

Having an intermittent connection while using USB-c is a known issue. It could be the male connector, or the female connector.
My guess is, that it is mostly the phone part, due to much use becoming loose.
My own solution is putting a thin strip of plastic when inserting the plug in your phone. For me that brings enough tightness to create a stable connection.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #2,940 of 6,414
Thanks for the suggestions the USB connections on the ones I've tried have been too loose but good to know they're not all like that. My phone is new so the USB shouldn't be too worn already.

I received an S9 Pro today and unfortunately the device isn't picked up by the HiBy app. I've enabled USB debugging mode and exclusive USB access in the HiBy app but if I play music it just plays through the speakers. Any tips? I have a Samsung S20.

The Meizu HiFi was picked up by HiBy Music no problem so think it's down to the S9 rather than the app or the phone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back