USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 4, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #1,876 of 6,468
Hi guys. Been using the dongle for a while (TempoTec Sonata HD Pro), UAPP and source music is my android smartphone. It's been great performing to listen to music from this setup.
The problem is when using USB DAC, there's no sound when playing another app for example YT.
When not using USB DAC (direct hi-res) it's work either UAPP and other apps.
It is USB DAC can only perform from UAPP or there is wrong from setting?
The same thing happens to me when I connect FiiO BTR5 in USB DAC mode, the problem is UAPP.

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #1,877 of 6,468
The same thing happens to me when I connect FiiO BTR5 in USB DAC mode, the problem is UAPP.

Yes, because other music player such Poweramp, HiBy and foobar2k the problem doesn't exist.
Do you have another dongle or dac/amp to test?
If it's true, that's because bugs maybe?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,878 of 6,468
Hi guys. Been using the dongle for a while (TempoTec Sonata HD Pro), UAPP and source music is my android smartphone. It's been great performing to listen to music from this setup.
The problem is when using USB DAC, there's no sound when playing another app for example YT.
When not using USB DAC (direct hi-res) it's work either UAPP and other apps.
It is USB DAC can only perform from UAPP or there is wrong from setting?
For me UAPP requests to be the sole music provider to the dongle when I plug the dongle in. Once you have given this permission, you have to disconnect the dongle and connect it again, then deny UAPP to be the single music provider when it asks. After that other apps can use the dongle.
Hope this helps you.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #1,879 of 6,468
For me UAPP requests to be the sole music provider to the dongle when I plug the dongle in. Once you have given this permission, you have to disconnect the dongle and connect it again, then deny UAPP to be the single music provider when it asks. After that other apps can use the dongle.
Hope this helps you.
You don't need to disconnect the dongle (at least in my experience).
Simply exit UAPP from the menu option at the very bottom and it'll "release" the DAC again.
This behavior of it occupying the DAC is the price you pay for bypassing the Android resampler/mixer and for gaining bit-perfect playback.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-184533_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-184533_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    934.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #1,881 of 6,468
Who is using E1DA 9038D?

Does it drain the battery of a smartphone very quickly?

Does it consume more than the 9038S?
The S has a base current draw of 90-93mA. The D is at ~100-105mA.
How quickly it'll drain your phone depends on
A) your phone's battery capacity and
B) your phone's own power consumption.
It is impossible to give you a general answer.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #1,883 of 6,468
Does anyone has this Baseus dongle?

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000090678881.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4d123c007rh9zv&mp=1

It is pretty cheap and it has a DAC...... Worth a try?

What do you guys recomend to connect a Oneplus 7 Pro to Fidelio X2's, Senn HD25's and Hd6XX?

Cheers

I'm looking to try some pretty cheap dongle dac-amps too. The one you've linked doesn't have too many specifications listed like the type of DAC chip or the output power. So, it's difficult to say how well it will work with the headphones you've listed.

I just ordered this from Amazon for $17 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0827Z2ZTP/ It seems to have good reviews (fakespot A grade) and has more specifications listed as follows:

• AK4452 192KHz DAC Chip.
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): ≤0.002%
  • SNR: 115Db
  • THD+N=0.0003%
  • Sampling Rate: 32~192 KHz
  • Bit Rate: 16~24 Bit
  • Output power: 130Mw in impedance 16Ω, 25Mw in impedance 120Ω
  • Adapted headphone impedance: 16-120Ω
  • Output Electrical Level: 3Vpp
Moreover, Amazon returns are easy if I don't like it, so I thought it's worth a try.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,884 of 6,468
Hi folks! I'm interested in buying the Helm Bolt USB DAC. I'm hesitant though because my Essential Phone with any USB DAC I've tried (at least 8!) will only output sound at top volume in the right channel and a hint of sound in the left. It does it with Tidal, Poweramp and Hiby Player. Lowering the volume has no effect. Do you think I can expect the same result from the Helm? Any ideas on what I can do to fix this otherwise? I tried searching for this issue and it doesn't seem like it affects other users that I could find.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #1,885 of 6,468
Hi folks! I'm interested in buying the Helm Bolt USB DAC. I'm hesitant though because my Essential Phone with any USB DAC I've tried (at least 8!) will only output sound at top volume in the right channel and a hint of sound in the left. It does it with Tidal, Poweramp and Hiby Player. Lowering the volume has no effect. Do you think I can expect the same result from the Helm? Any ideas on what I can do to fix this otherwise? I tried searching for this issue and it doesn't seem like it affects other users that I could find.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, it's most likely a connection issue on your side. You can try flipping the type-c, sometimes it matters which side you're plugging this port, even though it shouldn't be like that. Other than that, I don't think there could be any issues, but maybe, just maybe you have some equalizer turned on that messes with your sound on your phone. You can try disabling stuff like ViperFX and other tools like that.

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,886 of 6,468
So a couple of things - your phone and music are digital. It's getting changed back to analog at some point, whether in a separate DAC or a dongle or the one remaining phone that has a 3.5 jack. The manufacturers are taking that out to get thinner, more durable phones, by the way. They're not changing back, so we've all had to adapt.

Many/Most DACs have superior sound to the ones in the phones, so you're going to end up with better quality. You could also go wireless with a 5k or ES100 and avoid the jack altogether. And you only need one solution, at least to start. You certainly don't need a DAC for every set of ear buds or IEMs. So please put the soldering iron down. :L3000:

I think Type-C is not for sound. It will ruin the sound fully and you will listen something is being played like in the tin box. And there is no phone which is less than 4mm in thickness that they need to remove the 3.5mm Jack. Moreover, Wireless and BT are the worst from health perspective. I have number of earbuds (not in-ear and not apple/bt earbuds) something like this : https://penonaudio.com/musicmaker-tp16.html.

I am not comfortable in using in-ear phones and there is none with flat head like TP16. So I cannot buy and use any. Also, to check how they will sound (even if there is any), I will need to buy $1000 phone which is not practical.

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #1,887 of 6,468
So a couple of things - your phone and music are digital. It's getting changed back to analog at some point, whether in a separate DAC or a dongle or the one remaining phone that has a 3.5 jack. The manufacturers are taking that out to get thinner, more durable phones, by the way. They're not changing back, so we've all had to adapt.

Many/Most DACs have superior sound to the ones in the phones, so you're going to end up with better quality. You could also go wireless with a 5k or ES100 and avoid the jack altogether. And you only need one solution, at least to start. You certainly don't need a DAC for every set of ear buds or IEMs. So please put the soldering iron down. :L3000:
And there are very high chances that Adapter or DAC will be lost every now and then you cannot your phone at all as there is no way to plug your earphones into the phone. And then some day, if you forget to remove it from earphone and use another one, then again you won't be able to use earphone at all.

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #1,889 of 6,468
Does anyone has this Baseus dongle?

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000090678881.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4d123c007rh9zv&mp=1

It is pretty cheap and it has a DAC...... Worth a try?
I'm looking to try some pretty cheap dongle dac-amps too. The one you've linked doesn't have too many specifications listed like the type of DAC chip or the output power. So, it's difficult to say how well it will work with the headphones you've listed.

I just ordered this from Amazon for $17 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0827Z2ZTP/ It seems to have good reviews (fakespot A grade) and has more specifications listed as follows:

• AK4452 192KHz DAC Chip.
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): ≤0.002%
  • SNR: 115Db
  • THD+N=0.0003%
  • Sampling Rate: 32~192 KHz
  • Bit Rate: 16~24 Bit
  • Output power: 130Mw in impedance 16Ω, 25Mw in impedance 120Ω
  • Adapted headphone impedance: 16-120Ω
  • Output Electrical Level: 3Vpp
Moreover, Amazon returns are easy if I don't like it, so I thought it's worth a try.
True. Also does anyone has the ugreen adapter from amazon? It is also cheap and also has a dac....

By the way, what do you guys think of bluetooth receivers? I know fiio already hasba bunch of them. Dongles with dacs will always provide better sound quality over hifi bt adapters?

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #1,890 of 6,468
True. Also does anyone has the ugreen adapter from amazon? It is also cheap and also has a dac....

By the way, what do you guys think of bluetooth receivers? I know fiio already hasba bunch of them. Dongles with dacs will always provide better sound quality over hifi bt adapters?

I think BT adapters like the TRN BT20, TRN BT20S, TRN BT20S Pro and iBasso CF01 are a good compromise between TWS and wired gear. For now, wired gear is still better than wireless stuff (in general), but the wireless gear are catching up. These BT adapters I feel, are still better than TWS in quality of sound, but still not at the wired level, there's noticably some drop in dynamics and maybe roll off at both ends of the frequency spectrum.

The BT adapters are more for their convenience, some of them are waterproof, they allow u to reuse an existing detachable IEM with the adapter for on the go use, eg gym, exercising, where cables are not that convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back