USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,906 of 6,468
If you have a Samsung phone, don't bother to buy an Ibasso dongle.
About 50% chance they won't work together, no way to fix it and both manufacturers shrug their shoulders and refuse to look into the problem.
I don't think ibasso is to blame here really. They made a normal USB device that needs power and data to function. If your phone fails to supply one of those two things, then that's on Samsung really.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,907 of 6,468
If you have a Samsung phone, don't bother to buy an Ibasso dongle.
About 50% chance they won't work together, no way to fix it and both manufacturers shrug their shoulders and refuse to look into the problem.

DC04 works fine on the Samsung Note 20 Ultra, but only after the firmware update from a few posts back. That firmware also did fix the phase shift that was identified in Cirrus chipsets

喜大普奔 iBasso DC03/04相位修复固件来临! | L7Audiolab

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,908 of 6,468
Hello guys. I'm new here, but I've read a bit before coming and ask your advice.

I want to get my first USB c to jack adapter/Dac. (I've tried the apple A2049 USA model, but it was a very good fake with poor sound - I have pictures :)) I have a Huawei p30 pro and also my PC with windows 10 and some flac files and tidal. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD599 that have 50 ohms impedance and right now on my PC I have enough power (some old onboard Asrock purity sound with TI NE5532 Headset Amplifier inside) but not so much detail, I tend to think that I can reach some more with these cans.

So in my readings also in this thread I come across on two models:
Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (33$ today on aliexpress) and ibasso dc03 (44$). I don’t know if those 11$ come with some advantages. I’ve heard that dc03 had some channel phase problems that they just fixed yesterday.

I like the design of sonata because I can use whatever micro USB cable also with my PC and that I can change the cable if will break. I've heard that dc03 is some king superior in the treble section and from measurement I've seen it is more powerful at 32-50 ohms. I've also seen here the new Hiby FC3 that seems good with mcq. But I also read that you can have mcq support with sonata and uapp app?! (I don't know that for sure).
What do you think is ibasso the better option over sonata with my cans? I will be able to hear some difference? Or maybe you can recommend something else for my beginner setup. Thank you a lot!

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,910 of 6,468
Damn Big Erik, that post was a wreck. Is everything ok?
Okay so I don't I'm not insulted by that because I know it is. I say it is. that's why I said if anyone can help me.what exactly is wrong with it. everything's fine how do I change it.I don't know how. I'm I'm old.I'm not computer literate. Thank you so much for replying! Erik

also when I go to do the review after I get the dco 3 on the 21st. I'll probably do the review on the 23rd..do I do the review here or is there a section? I mean if it's a wreck that's fine I guess as long as the information that I give you guys gets out there because it really is pretty freaking awesome what I've got set up. It really is you'll see it's mellow but it's on point talks about sound signatures power different iems, different save.so if it looks like this as long as the information gets out there I guess it's okay. I have to use voice to text. I can't type. my arthritis and everything is, you don't even know especially this time of the year.

I'd really appreciate your help if you can help me. Thanks Erik. PS thanks even if you can't.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,911 of 6,468
How do you update the iBasso DC04? Are there any instruction somewhere?

Download the file, unzip it to a folder and look for the file DCSeries_fw_v1p0_EndUser_IBasso_ONLY.exe
When you execute that, first accept the NDA and then when you arrive at the main screen, insert the iBasso and press Write EEPROM
It will complete with a confirmation once flashed and will ask you to unplug and plug back in ....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-13 212935.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-13 212935.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Update.pdf
    176.1 KB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,912 of 6,468
I stopped doing this because I was getting chastised for doing it badly. but I feel that this information is such good information, concise,well-rounded. just somebody that's in the audio would enjoy what I'm going to do. And how I know it's cuz I'm into audio and I would appreciate it, reading what I'm going to do. I'm not doing it for ego I'm doing it because it would be great to read. Believe me I have no ego. I'm old and beat up. I'm ready to go. Really all I have is my word. it's the only thing that is worth anything to me anymore. I have goodies even though I'm poor. I buy used stuff.I look for bargains. I'm actually friends with a couple of reviewers too. And I've actually turned them on to a couple of IEMS that ended up being in their top tier. I just think it'd be a great thing to read because it's pretty cool.it's kind of fascinating what I found out by playing with all the stuff. So that's all I just think you guys might find it interesting. Thanks for everything and if you can help me it would be awesome and if not that's fine. I enjoy feedback. Even if it's bad. don't get me wrong some people can be jerks. Take care Erik

Hello guys. I'm new here, but I've read a bit before coming and ask your advice.

I want to get my first USB c to jack adapter/Dac. (I've tried the apple A2049 USA model, but it was a very good fake with poor sound - I have pictures :)) I have a Huawei p30 pro and also my PC with windows 10 and some flac files and tidal. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD599 that have 50 ohms impedance and right now on my PC I have enough power (some old onboard Asrock purity sound with TI NE5532 Headset Amplifier inside) but not so much detail, I tend to think that I can reach some more with these cans.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (33$ today on aliexpress) and ibasso dc03 (44$). I don’t know if those 11$ come with some advantages. I’ve heard that dc03 had some channel phase problems that they just fixed yesterday.

I like the design of sonata because I can use whatever micro USB cable also with my PC and that I can change the cable if will break. I've heard that dc03 is some king superior in the treble section and from measurement I've seen it is more powerful at 32-50 ohms. I've also seen here the new Hiby FC3 that seems good with mcq. But I also read that you can have mcq support with sonata and uapp app?! (I don't know that for sure).
What do you think is ibasso the better option over sonata with my cans? I will be able to hear some difference? Or maybe you can recommend something else for my beginner setup. Thank you a lot!
I'm almost sure the tempo uses the c4242 chip which is awesome. you just have to set it through I think an app performance-wise there's like three choices.and if it is the 4242 I can tell you that it's an awesome performer because it's the same chip in my hitties sonoda 3.from what I know the only thing with mine is it's already set I don't have to mess with it, that's the difference on the upgrade tempo 2, hidisz 3. And it's pushing 60 watts and the sound signature is awesome a little emphasis on the bass and it's black when it needs to be black. It's just got a beautiful sound signature. It's my favorite right now and I have probably 10 good dongles face. But I also have the dco 3 coming on the 21st from Linsoul. And I'm looking forward to that. I think it's going to rock but I could tell you that mine at full volume is deafening. As long as it's a fairly normal iem.I have between 8 and 50 ohms. I think the legacy 3 is 8 ohms.but I've also been getting into earbuds and I have the Faael Rosemary that's 150 ohms supposedly and it sings. I think you can't go wrong with either of them. I know the size and the fixability of the tempo is a good thing for me. But I think the ibasso is probably fixable too.I think you'd be good with either but I would probably go towards the basso as it's newer technology especially with the fix. Or you can wait until the 23rd after I've had it for 2 days I can let you know. Either one you're going to do great with. Good luck Erik

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,913 of 6,468

I have the sonata HD pro, and I love it. It stays mostly in my PC, but I've hooked it up to my Samsung phone a lot as well. The sound quality IMO is really good. It can make my full-size Focal Elegias super loud, and the background when nothing is playing is dead silent. If you have access to Amazon prime, I think its only a few dollars more on there, and you may get it faster than from aliexpress. Either way, I definitely recommend it.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,914 of 6,468
I don't think ibasso is to blame here really. They made a normal USB device that needs power and data to function. If your phone fails to supply one of those two things, then that's on Samsung really.
My post was only intended as a warning for people owning a Samsung phone.
I don't think the power supply is the problem.
When you turn off the phone, connect the dongle, restart the phone, the dongle will be recognized and work.
But when you unplug the dongle you will have to restart the phone again to reconnect it.
I don't know what the problem is, I don't blame either Ibasso or Samsung for it, but I find it not very customer friendly that neither of them will look into the matter.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,915 of 6,468
I have the sonata HD pro, and I love it. It stays mostly in my PC, but I've hooked it up to my Samsung phone a lot as well. The sound quality IMO is really good. It can make my full-size Focal Elegias super loud, and the background when nothing is playing is dead silent. If you have access to Amazon prime, I think its only a few dollars more on there, and you may get it faster than from aliexpress. Either way, I definitely recommend it.
I fully agree with him. I like he said dead silent. I use a similar term. Black as Black. In other words dead silent. When it's supposed to be. Believe it or not it's a real factor a lot of people don't realize it. Erik

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #1,916 of 6,468
Great timing .. Dated yesterday ... Thanks!

I must say ... I am not at all displeased by the DC04. It really drives my AH-D9200 well. Of course nowhere near the level of my FiiO M15, but the combo sounds quite accomplished nevertheless .. The DC04 sounds fun and energetic, a great low-end and decent level of detail for such a cheap little dongle, soundstage somewhat less spacious, but still delivered in a powerful way. The increased output 195mW @ 32Ω on the 4.4mm balanced DC04 definitely makes for a better controlled delivery. A definite bargain for the €49,28 that I paid including shipping. @cleg I think you will enjoy the DC04 :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,918 of 6,468
I must say ... I am not at all displeased by the DC04. It really drives my AH-D9200 well. Of course nowhere near the level of my FiiO M15, but the combo sounds quite accomplished nevertheless .. The DC04 sounds fun and energetic, a great low-end and decent level of detail for such a cheap little dongle, soundstage somewhat less spacious, but still delivered in a powerful way. The increased output 195mW @ 32Ω on the 4.4mm balanced DC04 definitely makes for a better controlled delivery. A definite bargain for the €49,28 that I paid including shipping. @cleg I think you will enjoy the DC04 :)
Yeah I originally wanted to dco one but Linsoul sold out. And I have a lot of 2.5 mm cables so I couldn't really do the 4.so now I'm waiting for my dco 3 which should be here with my legacy 5 on the 21st. Oh and my CCA CST. I have a lot of 2.5 to 3.5 adapters. I'm happy for you I think it's probably a great product. Good luck with it Erik

Phase shift issue, eh? Where can I read that? I probably missed something.
There was a couple of links I think a page or two back. He does all kinds of testing.it's interesting

I'm looking to try some pretty cheap dongle dac-amps too. The one you've linked doesn't have too many specifications listed like the type of DAC chip or the output power. So, it's difficult to say how well it will work with the headphones you've listed.

I just ordered this from Amazon for $17 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0827Z2ZTP/ It seems to have good reviews (fakespot A grade) and has more specifications listed as follows:

• AK4452 192KHz DAC Chip.
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): ≤0.002%
  • SNR: 115Db
  • THD+N=0.0003%
  • Sampling Rate: 32~192 KHz
  • Bit Rate: 16~24 Bit
  • Output power: 130Mw in impedance 16Ω, 25Mw in impedance 120Ω
  • Adapted headphone impedance: 16-120Ω
  • Output Electrical Level: 3Vpp
Moreover, Amazon returns are easy if I don't like it, so I thought it's worth a try.
Thanks for the tip I'm always looking for a good deal!!!! Erik

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,920 of 6,468
The Meizu Hi-Fi pro is not the same as the Meizu Master Hifi. The Meizu Hi-Fi pro has opa1612 opamps after the Cirrus Logic CS43131 dac chip in it is output stage. The Meiu Master Hifi does not and is just using the CS43131, so similar to the original Meizu Hi-Fi. As well as their price!

The Meizu Hi-Fi pro is not on the market anymore and may never be manufactured again. Time will tell!

The CS43131 chip that has been used in many dongle variations apparently has some specific measurable issues that their engineers recently have acknowledged and will try to fix. Seems like it is only dongles without build in-volume control. So for instance the Hidizs S8/Tempotec Sonata HD pro may not be affected by this.

Add to this. The S8/Tempotec Sonata HD pro is to me at least, a clear step up in performance vs. Meizu Master Hifi, so well worth a few $$ more!
What are you talking about the master Hi-Fi has dual operating amps. Tell me where you got your information cuz I know where I got mine

it has dual operating amps so I don't understand what you saying. And they even made the first rail 1.6 volts. Specifically for handling higher resistance. The master hi-fi.

You the man baby!!! that's awesome !!!thank you Erik

I have the Hidizs sonota 3. I don't have any problems with the volume control. Interesting I think the chip is the 4242. Erik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back