USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,171 of 6,500
intereferences due to possible poor shielding design in the meizu hifi non pro is a very good reason to not buy it, but i'd investigate a bit to check if it was not a single feedback caused by a faulty unit because shielding is the basic feature you need in an dac and it is very improbable that meizu engineers ****ed this up.

note that dd tc35 has the same CS42L42 chip as musiland mu1 but there may be differences in implementation.

anyway exploring different upgrade paths is a good strategy, please share back in a few weeks what was (at similar upgrade cost) the biggest difference to your ear between 1/ upgrading your dac and 2/ trying a different iem sound signature

How is the TC35 has the same DAC as the Musiland MU1?

13466954.jpg

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,174 of 6,500
I just ordered tempotec sonata hd and an adapter cable from 3.5mm to 2.5mm. It 's my first dongle. For usual listening i use Fiio M9 and Btr5.
I wanted to understand the difference between a dongle and a dac / amp like the FiiO BTR5 or as an altribdac amp of the same price as the dongle, only the size and comfort change, or the dongles generally at the same price sound worse, they are totally ignorant on this subject. . Thank you

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #1,176 of 6,500
what driver must we install on an android phone to benefit from a external usb dac on every app? i have meizu hifi pro and with neutron installed i get the amplification in the neutron player but i loose it as soon as i go in another app like youtube for example ( by loosing the amplification i mean i still get audio on the meizu dac jack plug but level drop to the eaxct same level of my phone internal dac when plugged in the phone's jack (as if the analog audio was no longer coming from the meizu dac but from the phone internal dac but rerouted via the usbc cable ). it is very noticeable because my phone dac is only about 20mW so it is about 4x lower volume than the meizu pro.

Apr 25, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,177 of 6,500
what driver must we install on an android phone to benefit from a external usb dac on every app? i have meizu hifi pro and with neutron installed i get the amplification in the neutron player but i loose it as soon as i go in another app like youtube for example ( by loosing the amplification i mean i still get audio on the meizu dac jack plug but level drop to the eaxct same level of my phone internal dac when plugged in the phone's jack (as if the analog audio was no longer coming from the meizu dac but from the phone internal dac but rerouted via the usbc cable ). it is very noticeable because my phone dac is only about 20mW so it is about 4x lower volume than the meizu pro.
You can't install any driver as none exists. The specialized apps use their own custom internal driver to access a usb dac directly.
On all other apps the audio gets always routed to android's internal audio interface which resamples and doesn't fully use the dac.

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #1,178 of 6,500
You can't install any driver as none exists. The specialized apps use their own custom internal driver to access a usb dac directly.
On all other apps the audio gets always routed to android's internal audio interface which resamples and doesn't fully use the dac.
is there a specialized app that let you fully use the dac on any app using system audio such as youtube app for example. are some of these specialzed app free ? i tried neutron but i only get full volume while in neutron app if i switch from neutron to youtube then volume is divide by 5 and even when i switch back from youtube to neutron my volume in neutron remains one fifth of what it was before switching. thanks

Apr 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,179 of 6,500
I just got a new Samsung phone and did not realize it no longer had a 3.5mm headphone jack. I need an adapter in a pinch. I ultimately would like a Meizu HiFi, but in the short-term, I need something that will arrive in the mail faster (the Meizu will be shipping from China). And something that does not have the volume issue of the Apple adapter.

Any suggestions for an easily-acquired, decent sounding, Android-compatible (no volume issues), shipping-from-the-US adapter that I can acquire while I wait for the Meizu?

Apr 25, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,180 of 6,500
I just got a new Samsung phone and did not realize it no longer had a 3.5mm headphone jack. I need an adapter in a pinch. I ultimately would like a Meizu HiFi, but in the short-term, I need something that will arrive in the mail faster (the Meizu will be shipping from China). And something that does not have the volume issue of the Apple adapter.

Any suggestions for an easily-acquired, decent sounding, Android-compatible (no volume issues), shipping-from-the-US adapter that I can acquire while I wait for the Meizu?
be wary i have volume problem with meizu hifi pro on my sony phone.

Apr 25, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,181 of 6,500
is there a specialized app that let you fully use the dac on any app using system audio such as youtube app for example. are some of these specialzed app free ? i tried neutron but i only get full volume while in neutron app if i switch from neutron to youtube then volume is divide by 5 and even when i switch back from youtube to neutron my volume in neutron remains one fifth of what it was before switching. thanks
Afaik no. The only ones to fully take advantage of the dac I know are UAPP, Hiby Music, Fiio Music, Neutron, Onkyo HiFi (not all dacs work with it).
Regarding the issue you're having, it probably has to do with the internal volume control of the Meizu dongle. I have no such issue with my iBasso DC01. I use the iBasso UAC software it comes with for a finer volume control (64 steps hardware volume control).

Apr 25, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,182 of 6,500
There is some hack available on XDA dev forum you can find but you need root and a specific android. I hope android dev will do something about it. Its quite ridiculous how poorly implemented USB DAC is at the moment. There is no issues like that on Apple phones AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back