USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 25, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #1,186 of 6,485
Well, that is not good!

I am thinking of just ordering the Samsung adapter, since I would imagine it would have no problems. But the sound quality is supposed to be poor, from what I understand.
Actually, maybe the Hidzis is the way to go. Reasonably priced and available on Amazon. Any problems with Android?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #1,189 of 6,485
Hi!
Any comparisons, or anyone want to compare, the dd tc35 vs the tc35b vs the meizu dac(non pro)? Mainly thinking of audio quality, power drainage(will use it with huawei p30 pro) and inline remote compatibility(is supposed to work since it supports ctia). Have used the meizu dac earlier and quite satisfied with it but always interesting to try something new.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #1,195 of 6,485
intereferences due to possible poor shielding design in the meizu hifi non pro is a very good reason to not buy it, but i'd investigate a bit to check if it was not a single feedback caused by a faulty unit because shielding is the basic feature you need in an dac and it is very improbable that meizu engineers ****ed this up.

note that dd tc35 has the same CS42L42 chip as musiland mu1 but there may be differences in implementation.

anyway exploring different upgrade paths is a good strategy, please share back in a few weeks what was (at similar upgrade cost) the biggest difference to your ear between 1/ upgrading your dac and 2/ trying a different iem sound signature
It's not a single unit. My Meizu pro is plagued by interference if I use it over a cellular connection. It's fine over wifi but that kind of defeats it's purpose.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #1,196 of 6,485
Meizu HiFi Audio Pro = Earbuds Heaven

Here is my Meizu HiFi DAC Headphone Amplifier PRO aka Meizu HiFi Audio Pro driving a pair of Thai custom-made earbuds, Crystalcore Audio Kryptonite (150Ω); 2.5TRRS Balanced via a handy little ddHiFi DD DJ35A Balanced Adapter. I use this lil' dongle primarily as a USB DAC/AMP at my desktop and use it with my smartphone when travelling but most always when in "flight mode". Please kindly note that this dongle is well-documented to exhibit unfavorable EMI interference when used closely with certain devices (e.g. "active" 3G smartphones). I have not personally had an issue yet with any device but the problem does exist so I think it best to warn others about it. This is really the only drawback I can think of in regards to this well designed device.

Meizu HiFi Pro DAC HeadAMP (3).jpg
1693659997753.png

I have been very impressed with this little dongle; so powerful, clear as a whistle, and in such a small form factor. It simply reeks of Wolfson and in a very good way!

Meizu HiFi Audio Pro (Model CP19P) uses Cirrus Logic's flagship CS43131 DAC chip (32bit/384KHz audio) coupled with two Texas Instrument's OPA1622 second-level op-amps... again, very reminiscent of Wolfson design approach and implementation. Listed by Meizu as having up to ~1.75Vrms output (as determined by auto-impedance detection) with a thrust of 30mW @ 32Ω (6.7mW @ 600Ω) it has been measured to be much, much higher @ 87mW @ 33Ω ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/ ) and if "tricked", via a headphone adapter and/or audio extension cable, will output at ~2Vrms with a thrust of 100mW @ 32Ω (13mW @ 300Ω); <0.0002% THD+N @ 1kHz; >123dBA (as tested and documented here: https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/94991395).

Headphone Adapter (Audio Extension Cable) Trick:

1. Firstly, before plugging the Meizu HiFi Audio Pro into the source (phone/pc), plug an empty adapter or short audio extension cable into the headphone output jack of the Meizu HiFi Audio Pro.​
2. Secondly, plug the Meizu HiFi Audio Pro into the source (phone/pc) via it's USB Type-C plug.​
At this point the device "sees" the empty adapter as (infinity) impedance and therefore "activates" the high-gain/high-impedance mode.
3. Thirdly, plug earphones/headphones into the adapter already plugged into the Meizu HiFi Audio Pro.​
The device will remain in the high-gain/high impedance mode no matter the impedance value of the earphones/headphones plugged in
To turn off the high-gain/high-impedance mode, simply unplug the Meizu HiFi Audio Pro from the source (phone/pc); remove the adapter; plug the Meizu HiFi Audio Pro back into the source (phone/pc); plug earphones/headphones directly into the Meizu HiFi Audio Pro which will then recognize the plugged in earphones/headphones impedance value via it's normal auto-impedance detection system as accordingly.​

A window into the guts of this mighty dongle. An excellent teardown can be found here.
Meizu HiFi Pro DAC HeadAMP (6).jpg
1625204339686.png
Meizu HiFi Pro DAC HeadAMP (2).jpg
Meizu HiFi Pro DAC HeadAMP (1).jpg

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,197 of 6,485
Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,198 of 6,485
Musicteck just put it up for pre-order for $165 (the first 50) the new Lotoo PAW S1 Portable USB-C DAC-Amp:
https://shop.musicteck.com/products/lotoo-paw-s1-portable-usb-dac-amp?variant=31822107115582

It looks really good. I was thinking of waiting for the newer 9038S or D but this one is like the complete package!
Though do note that both the E1DA #9038SG3 and #9038D are far more powerful and in an even smaller package!

Even the Meizu HiFi Audio Pro has an edge there as well... it has been tested to deliver 100mW @ 32Ω and 13mW @ 300Ω with <0.0002% THD+N @ 1kHz, 300Ω and >123dBA (300Ω load).

May 2, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,199 of 6,485
9038SG3 seems huge upgrade to me.

May 2, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #1,200 of 6,485

Users who are viewing this thread

Back