USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Aug 26, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #181 of 6,468
Between cayin. What is power output of cayin btw. Also big saundstage and enhanched bass on dc02 is a part of ak's velvet sound. That dac is really good and prob better than what is inside that cayin
iBasso DC02 has AKM4490EQ DAC on board and unbalanced 3.5 out only. Which is good specs, especially for this size! (But I dont know which Amps there installed is)

Cayin N5IISS have ESS 9018K2M DAC and has four Amps (2 for balanced out, 1 for unbalanced and 1 for line-out). I pretty sure that Cayin`s Amps (OPA1622) defenetly better than in DC02 (and of cource more powerfull). And scheme and another components are higher level (as Capacitors and blah).

Cayin`s sound more neutral, detailed, may be not wider but deeper, more immersive 3D soundstage. Also has more detailed and deeper bass (also has accent on bass as DC02), natural vocals and crisp high frecs! I think it`s another level of sound, no matter which DAC there are installed. But the DAP has many problems, lazy UI and buggy controlls. Thats annoying me all the time I use it, especially in Car. :|

Thats why I bought DC02, to use it in Car, mostly. Also it`s dont need any charging, has very high level sound and small convinient size! :)

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #184 of 6,468
What does powerful have too do with detailed. Genuinely asking I'm not an audiophile. Or are u just typing too see a response. Ty

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #185 of 6,468
Caution DC01 Owners! The latest firmware per iBasso website (dated 18 Aug 2019) once flashed reduces the volume significantly. E.g. my usual listening volume for Tidal via UAPP was about 50% of the volume level. However, after flashing the latest firmware, I now have to increase volume to about 75% to 80% to achieve the same loudness as before. Now trying to contact iBasso to flash back to original firmware. Sigh......

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #186 of 6,468
I really got mostly positive things to say about my DC01. After the firmware update (see ibasso homepage) also native DSD 256 works without problem in UAPP. (Audirvana still only works with DSD over PCM)
But that's not the biggest problem to me since i have only very few DSD 256x.

I deinstalled the Ibasso volume control app on my phone since I am using the DC01 with UAPP exclusively. Practically you can use UAPP for the hardware volume control and even map the slider to your phones volume buttons. That's perfect for my use.

Sound is really great. Better than any phone's output I've heard, better than my macbook's output and similarly as good as my desktop DAC (Musical Fidelity SDAC) The only negative I have with the DC01 is the pronounced waterfall noise with sensitive IEMs. I am mainly using Fearless S8 Freedom with the DC01 and those are very sensitive. But as soon as music plays you mostly forget about it.

I will keep using this device until i can find something better for my use. Don't think that will be too fast.

P.S. power output is also good and should drive most headphones that are not unreasonably hard to drive.

Is there a certain impedance which is the trigger point for waterfall sound? Does dc02 has the same issue?

If one is using iem not headphone and dc01 and dc02 vol match, is it possible to distinguish ?

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #188 of 6,468
Do the iBasso, Cozoy or Musiland adapters work with phone screen off?
The Razer adapter I bought a while back will only work with screen on and unlocked on Android devices. Don’t know if it’s defective or made that way. But it’s pretty much unusable on the go.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #189 of 6,468
Caution DC01 Owners! The latest firmware per iBasso website (dated 18 Aug 2019) once flashed reduces the volume significantly. E.g. my usual listening volume for Tidal via UAPP was about 50% of the volume level. However, after flashing the latest firmware, I now have to increase volume to about 75% to 80% to achieve the same loudness as before. Now trying to contact iBasso to flash back to original firmware. Sigh......

I have also noticed that! I contacted Ibasso about that and they told me it was probably the App. Of course that's bull. The Ibasso support seems to be really lacking knowledge about their own products. I would't want to flash back the old firmware since only with the new one native DSD and DSD 256x works for me. The Volume decrease isn't a big problem for me since it was way too loud for my IEMs before and now I can use them at more normal loudness settings. Although I can understand that it pisses you off when you're using a headphone which needs more juice. Please let me know about Ibassos reaction to you!

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #190 of 6,468
Is there a certain impedance which is the trigger point for waterfall sound? Does dc02 has the same issue?

If one is using iem not headphone and dc01 and dc02 vol match, is it possible to distinguish ?
I can't tell you what the triggerpoint is but I'd like to know as well if DC02 has the same problem. I'd be willing to change my DC01 for DC02 if it does not have this problem.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #191 of 6,468
Do the iBasso, Cozoy or Musiland adapters work with phone screen off?
The Razer adapter I bought a while back will only work with screen on and unlocked on Android devices. Don’t know if it’s defective or made that way. But it’s pretty much unusable on the go.
The Ibasso definitely works with screen off. Maybe try disabling any power saving features for the music app you're listening with.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #193 of 6,468
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #195 of 6,468

Users who are viewing this thread

Back