USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Aug 23, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #166 of 6,468
Guys, I just upgraded my phone to "jack is no more" one so I´m in need of quality USB-C DAC because that one what was included in phone package is really a crap. I have iBasso IT01 which is 3,5 mm jack and wondering if I have to reach for the same brand with new iBasso DC02 (but it seems that some of you are not so excited about it) or if I should try Hidizs S3 maybe? I haven´t seen it mentioned here but guess it should be better than Sonata, isn´t it?

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #167 of 6,468
Guys, I just upgraded my phone to "jack is no more" one so I´m in need of quality USB-C DAC because that one what was included in phone package is really a crap. I have iBasso IT01 which is 3,5 mm jack and wondering if I have to reach for the same brand with new iBasso DC02 (but it seems that some of you are not so excited about it) or if I should try Hidizs S3 maybe? I haven´t seen it mentioned here but guess it should be better than Sonata, isn´t it?

I can't really say about DC02 but the 01 is great with UAPP, And of course yes it way better than Sonata HD with pure music fw.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #168 of 6,468
IMG_20190825_133113.jpg
Just got my iBasso DC02. Interesting device... Sounds massive, I'll keep testing it. :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #174 of 6,468
Is it good enough to drive full suze headphones?
I have Sony MDR-Z7 headphones only, there is about 75 Om resistance. iBasso DC02 pumps these very well! As I said, sound is massive, little accent on Bass. Wide (4/5) soundstage and nice detail. DC02 outs defenetly more better sound than any Smartphone I had/have. Also my Wife`s iPhone X (via 3.5 adapter) sounds good but DC02 are better!

Compare with my Cayin N5IISS player - DC02 sound no so bad as I expected. Of cource N5IISS sounds more detail, balanced with better low and high frecs. But as additional very convinient device with great sound - DC02 is a good chose!

So, I defenetly like the device!

I don't think it is compatible with remotes (microphone+volume control), is it?
No. UAC or native volume controll only.

Can you compare with the almighty iphone dongle ?
I`ve noticed about it above!

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #175 of 6,468
I have Sony MDR-Z7 headphones only, there is about 75 Om resistance. iBasso DC02 pumps these very well! As I said, sound is massive, little accent on Bass. Wide (4/5) soundstage and nice detail. DC02 outs defenetly more better sound than any Smartphone I had/have. Also my Wife`s iPhone X (via 3.5 adapter) sounds good but DC02 are better!

Compare with my Cayin N5IISS player - DC02 sound no so bad as I expected. Of cource N5IISS sounds more detail, balanced with better low and high frecs. But as additional very convinient device with great sound - DC02 is a good chose!

You don’t need to bring another device and tidal and Spotify backs it up with all your music software . And yeah you do not need to be concern of any Lousy dap UI

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #176 of 6,468
113 milliwatts at 32 ohms should be enough to drive a reasonably sensitive full size headphone. Which one are you planning to use it with?
Monoprice M1060C open. That is why I am getting Dc01 because more power and balanced. I would get full size amp dac but that would cost a bit too much for me so I am getting dc01 to replace my fioo alpen 2

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #177 of 6,468

Is the difference big?

Aug 26, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #179 of 6,468
I`m sorry. Between what, exactly?
Between cayin. What is power output of cayin btw. Also big saundstage and enhanched bass on dc02 is a part of ak's velvet sound. That dac is really good and prob better than what is inside that cayin. Not to mention that it is a mobile version of ESS chip and dc02 has dekstop grade AK

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #180 of 6,468
I really got mostly positive things to say about my DC01. After the firmware update (see ibasso homepage) also native DSD 256 works without problem in UAPP. (Audirvana still only works with DSD over PCM)
But that's not the biggest problem to me since i have only very few DSD 256x.

I deinstalled the Ibasso volume control app on my phone since I am using the DC01 with UAPP exclusively. Practically you can use UAPP for the hardware volume control and even map the slider to your phones volume buttons. That's perfect for my use.

Sound is really great. Better than any phone's output I've heard, better than my macbook's output and similarly as good as my desktop DAC (Musical Fidelity SDAC) The only negative I have with the DC01 is the pronounced waterfall noise with sensitive IEMs. I am mainly using Fearless S8 Freedom with the DC01 and those are very sensitive. But as soon as music plays you mostly forget about it.

I will keep using this device until i can find something better for my use. Don't think that will be too fast.

P.S. power output is also good and should drive most headphones that are not unreasonably hard to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back