USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 22, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #4,936 of 6,496
True but your double amping. You need to be careful with this as you bring in more interference as you are essentially going to have a larger noise floor which can rule out the use of sensitive IEMs.
Every line out has an opamp in the output stage. Sometimes it's just integrated into the DAC. So, you're always double amping but once you supply the correct voltage, you're just doing it right.

May 23, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #4,937 of 6,496
For home usage, I am using koss KPH40/PP, SHP9500, by shanling UP4 under LDAC or Small dongle Jcally JM6 to play YouTube music from Samsung Note10..
May I know will I get big improvement if I replace with DC03pro? Or other better recommendation?
Thanks.
Hi. Shanling up4 is quite a good device.Have it and also the dc03 pro. It wont be a big improvement. At least it is not for my ears. Up4 is a bit warmer, but dont expect big differences.

May 23, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #4,938 of 6,496
Every line out has an opamp in the output stage. Sometimes it's just integrated into the DAC. So, you're always double amping but once you supply the correct voltage, you're just doing it right.
Do you have some dongles to recommend with good LO (i.e. correct voltage)? I'm looking for a good one to use with my C9. Thank you.

May 24, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #4,939 of 6,496
We have from cheap to expensive:

Apple Dongle
7hz71
Moondrop Dawn
Ibasso DC04Pro / Qudelix 5k / Fiio Q3 & Q11
Ifi go Bar / Cayin Ru6 & 7 / Lotoo Paw S2 / Topping G5
Fiio Q7

I read that planar iems need more voltage than dynamic iems and in combination with an iphone it will limit the power of the dongle. So better to buy a mobile amp with own batteries.

Maybe a Moondrop Dawn is enough even with a iphone but you will never get the full power. So if you are iphone user and you want to drive high end over ear headphones take the Q7. If you use normal over ears then the G5 and if you only want to drive iems then the Qudelix or Q3 / Q11.

May 24, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #4,940 of 6,496
Sorry, would it be possible for someone who has heard both of them to have a direct comparison between the audio quality of the Questyle M15 versus that offered by the iBasso DC04PRO? Especially using the balanced output, thanks.

May 24, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #4,941 of 6,496
Sorry, would it be possible for someone who has heard both of them to have a direct comparison between the audio quality of the Questyle M15 versus that offered by the iBasso DC04PRO? Especially using the balanced output, thanks.

I no longer own the Questyle M15, so I cannot do a direct sound comparison, but I can tell you that the two different M15s I purchased each had occasional EMI noise with my iPhone 12 Pro. The DC04Pro is dead silent.

May 24, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #4,942 of 6,496
Having owned the M15 and now the DC04Pro I would say the M15 is slightly more musical and has greater body.
Taking nothing away from the DC04Pro especially considering the price difference.
If you want another jump from the M15 I’m afraid it’s Chord Mojo 2 but it’s bigger, has a battery and more expensive but worth it.
Just my opinion.

May 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #4,943 of 6,496
May 24, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #4,944 of 6,496
Where did you get all the downloadable things for the dongle (firmwares + drivers)? Some time ago I tried to find out more info about the device, but didn't succeed to locate anything.
Also, are those 160 volume steps actually make a difference, that is - does each increment in volume changes sound level, or does sound level changes in jumps - for example, steps in a range 10-20 don't do anything, and only when you change to 21 does the sound change and so on?

May 26, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #4,945 of 6,496
So I have rarely touched uapp since Spotify is so convenient, I just like to plug the dongle into the phone, start Spotify and call it a day. I have the w2 and e44, and used to have og dc04 and paw S1, but they all perform poorly with Spotify, since Spotify does not bypass android src, so there is this slight digital sound that annoys. Using my og btr5 I could technically bypass that usb src, but btr5 has nowhere the fidelity of dongles nowadays. So I set out to demo the newer dongles in 2023, hoping I could find one that could tolerate the digital glare from Spotify, or at least be an upgrade in sound to what I have (incl 2020 dx160 which has found little use as its battery life and responsiveness decreases with age). I used the iem qdc 8sl and the usb cable ddhifi tc09s with every dongle.

I started with truthear shio. It has a large sound, filling up every space in the sound stage, feels kinda closed in, fun and smooth sounding, no harshness. I thought this was pretty good and hardly had any digital glare with Spotify. Not the best resolution but it was already better than w2 for this use case. Pity the latest firmware wasn't installed on the demo unit.

Next was the tanchjim space. Immediately noticed high resolution, largest soundstage of all dongles I've tried, airy, and reminded me of high end daps like cayin n6ii and ibasso Dx220. It was also slightly fatiguing like those daps to my ears. But the treble bite was so nice in extracting details and being addictive. I could see this being end game for many people. It's interesting how having similar measurenents to w2, it sounds so different, and its tightness of its sound easily overpowers the android digital glare. Unfortunately it does not remember the last volume you set unlike many other dongles I've had, and with sensitive iems I fear this could deafen me if I forgot about this aspect.

Next Dc04pro. Coming from space, I didn't immediately get blown away by the resolution... Then it suddenly hit me. The macrodynamics on this is insane for a dongle! On dynamic volume swings in tracks from low to high volume or vice versa, the Dc04pro leaps back and forth with momentum. This made certain songs sound so lively, it gave me the mild sensation of falling (lol).
The Dc04pro reminds me of the iem U12t, smooth sounding with great macro dynamics, great subbass vroom. In contrast, tanchjim space was like the qdc VX, great microdynamics and resolution, extracting every detail. Choose which style you like. Both are very impressive, and I would say even surpassed my dx160. Dc04pro's sound is something new to me among the dongles and daps I've tried, a big improvement over og dc04 (was a disappointment lol) , and this makes me hopeful for what comes next. That said, its more for long relaxing listening sessions with hardly any bite in treble and nice wooferly bass. If you want intense/critical listening, space would be more suitable.

Next dc03pro. Hmm it doesn't sound great esp after Dc04pro. Flat-ish soundstage and mids details do not dig deep enough. It sounds more on the bright and energetic side. But seeing the praise here, maybe it would sound better with uapp (didn't try)

Someone else was using ru6, so I decided to end my demo session with hiby fc6 to check out an r2r dongle. I was... Underwhelmed. Lack of dynamics, hardly any air, not the best resolution either. It also didn't have the gooey sweetness I experienced with cayin n6ii r01, an r2r dap module. So I ended my demo.

Now I have both Dc04pro and space. I heard that android 14 will come with native support for bit perfect audio over usb. Looks like things will get better for dongles and Spotify in future =)

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #4,946 of 6,496
Where did you get all the downloadable things for the dongle (firmwares + drivers)? Some time ago I tried to find out more info about the device, but didn't succeed to locate anything.
Also, are those 160 volume steps actually make a difference, that is - does each increment in volume changes sound level, or does sound level changes in jumps - for example, steps in a range 10-20 don't do anything, and only when you change to 21 does the sound change and so on?
I messaged AliExpress seller and got the firmware/drivers from them. Yes, each volume step makes a difference. That's how digital volume control works. There initially were 126 steps, which was increased to 160 steps with the firmware I received.

May 28, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #4,947 of 6,496
Anyone tried it before? Adjustable power, dual cs43131, balanced output and a few more good features. It seems worth a try for 59.30 euros, when it arrives I can compare it with the ibasso dc 03 pro.

-1088378152-1784943493.jpg

-791652657-1410973769.jpg

May 28, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #4,948 of 6,496
Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #4,949 of 6,496
So I have rarely touched uapp since Spotify is so convenient, I just like to plug the dongle into the phone, start Spotify and call it a day. I have the w2 and e44, and used to have og dc04 and paw S1, but they all perform poorly with Spotify, since Spotify does not bypass android src, so there is this slight digital sound that annoys. Using my og btr5 I could technically bypass that usb src, but btr5 has nowhere the fidelity of dongles nowadays. So I set out to demo the newer dongles in 2023, hoping I could find one that could tolerate the digital glare from Spotify, or at least be an upgrade in sound to what I have (incl 2020 dx160 which has found little use as its battery life and responsiveness decreases with age). I used the iem qdc 8sl and the usb cable ddhifi tc09s with every dongle.

I started with truthear shio. It has a large sound, filling up every space in the sound stage, feels kinda closed in, fun and smooth sounding, no harshness. I thought this was pretty good and hardly had any digital glare with Spotify. Not the best resolution but it was already better than w2 for this use case. Pity the latest firmware wasn't installed on the demo unit.

Next was the tanchjim space. Immediately noticed high resolution, largest soundstage of all dongles I've tried, airy, and reminded me of high end daps like cayin n6ii and ibasso Dx220. It was also slightly fatiguing like those daps to my ears. But the treble bite was so nice in extracting details and being addictive. I could see this being end game for many people. It's interesting how having similar measurenents to w2, it sounds so different, and its tightness of its sound easily overpowers the android digital glare. Unfortunately it does not remember the last volume you set unlike many other dongles I've had, and with sensitive iems I fear this could deafen me if I forgot about this aspect.

Next Dc04pro. Coming from space, I didn't immediately get blown away by the resolution... Then it suddenly hit me. The macrodynamics on this is insane for a dongle! On dynamic volume swings in tracks from low to high volume or vice versa, the Dc04pro leaps back and forth with momentum. This made certain songs sound so lively, it gave me the mild sensation of falling (lol).
The Dc04pro reminds me of the iem U12t, smooth sounding with great macro dynamics, great subbass vroom. In contrast, tanchjim space was like the qdc VX, great microdynamics and resolution, extracting every detail. Choose which style you like. Both are very impressive, and I would say even surpassed my dx160. Dc04pro's sound is something new to me among the dongles and daps I've tried, a big improvement over og dc04 (was a disappointment lol) , and this makes me hopeful for what comes next. That said, its more for long relaxing listening sessions with hardly any bite in treble and nice wooferly bass. If you want intense/critical listening, space would be more suitable.

Next dc03pro. Hmm it doesn't sound great esp after Dc04pro. Flat-ish soundstage and mids details do not dig deep enough. It sounds more on the bright and energetic side. But seeing the praise here, maybe it would sound better with uapp (didn't try)

Someone else was using ru6, so I decided to end my demo session with hiby fc6 to check out an r2r dongle. I was... Underwhelmed. Lack of dynamics, hardly any air, not the best resolution either. It also didn't have the gooey sweetness I experienced with cayin n6ii r01, an r2r dap module. So I ended my demo.

Now I have both Dc04pro and space. I heard that android 14 will come with native support for bit perfect audio over usb. Looks like things will get better for dongles and Spotify in future =)
What it's mean ? "native support for bit perfect audio over usb"

May 29, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #4,950 of 6,496
What it's mean ? "native support for bit perfect audio over usb"
A large number of android devices resamples all audio to 48Khz. Some devices do so even with a USB DAC/Dongle.

Other devices such as DAPs and some Samsung devices (I think) as well as apps such as USPP bypasses this and does "bit perfect".

Android 14 plans to remove this resampling for USB devices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back