USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 17, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #4,906 of 6,519
Hey can someone explain to me why these are not used instead of tyce c dacs?

- 100-110 dollar band can also be found in such devices and there are chips such as es 9218 or es 9219 in them.

- They can be used as dac.

- They have screens, isn't it more logical to use this than to pay fiio ka 5 a whole world for the calculator screen?

- We can also use it as a music player, and it has practical solutions such as a volume wheel.

- It includes sound software.
- the average 150 dollars in the example, if we can use it as a dac, isn't it much more reasonable than models such as fiio ka 5 or btr5k?

I don't claim to have found the cheat for the game, I'm just wondering why. When I ordered another dac, I decided to sell the ibasso dc 03 without even opening the box. If I can use such a device as a dac, I see no reason why I should not sell the other dac and order one.
That is a DAP, which is fine. I already have a few DAP's. I bought the KA5 because it is tiny and it lets me use my phone for YouTube or music. On the go, I don't want to carry my phone AND a DAP.
Here in Canada, that unit is 20% more than the KA5, through Amazon.ca.

May 17, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #4,907 of 6,519
That is a DAP, which is fine. I already have a few DAP's. I bought the KA5 because it is tiny and it lets me use my phone for YouTube or music. On the go, I don't want to carry my phone AND a DAP.
Here in Canada, that unit is 20% more than the KA5, through Amazon.ca.
I did not want to highlight the ka 5 as a model, today a standard dac with a screen costs an average of 150 dollars. So basically it can do the same function. It also makes sense to use it independently of the phone. So small screen vs practical? Expensive models may be fine, but is the sound quality of a $150-200 model mediocre? I don't know, if the dac is doing its function I might leave one of my dac and sell the others.

I recently sold another dac, looks like I'll keep selling it until I have one left. I guess I'm looking for an excuse for such a device, but I can't afford to make a mistake of 150-200 dollars.

In the meantime, let me summarize the event, is there any negative side to using the 150 dollar dac and the 150 dollar dap as a dac?

May 17, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #4,908 of 6,519
Hi everyone. Is Abigail/Abigail Pro still the best cx31993 based dongle, or has it been dethroned by something else?

Has anyone have any idea how Jcally JM25 is?

May 17, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #4,909 of 6,519

- 100-110 dollar band can also be found in such devices and there are chips such as es 9218 or es 9219 in them.

- They have screens, isn't it more logical to use this than to pay fiio ka 5 a whole world for the calculator screen?

- We can also use it as a music player, and it has practical solutions such as a volume wheel.

- the average 150 dollars in the example, if we can use it as a dac, isn't it much more reasonable than models such as fiio ka 5 or btr5k?

I don't claim to have found the cheat for the game, I'm just wondering why. When I ordered another dac, I decided to sell the ibasso dc 03 without even opening the box. If I can use such a device as a dac, I see no reason why I should not sell the other dac and order one.
Battery longevity, lack of software support, no local repair services...

May 17, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #4,910 of 6,519
I did not want to highlight the ka 5 as a model, today a standard dac with a screen costs an average of 150 dollars. So basically it can do the same function. It also makes sense to use it independently of the phone. So small screen vs practical? Expensive models may be fine, but is the sound quality of a $150-200 model mediocre? I don't know, if the dac is doing its function I might leave one of my dac and sell the others.

I recently sold another dac, looks like I'll keep selling it until I have one left. I guess I'm looking for an excuse for such a device, but I can't afford to make a mistake of 150-200 dollars.

In the meantime, let me summarize the event, is there any negative side to using the 150 dollar dac and the 150 dollar dap as a dac?
For the same price, DACs logically deliver better performance since they do not have a battety, screen, and software.
Good ESS 9218/9219 DACs are available starting ar $30.

After all, it is really great that all the choices exist, so you can get what will work best for you.

May 17, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #4,911 of 6,519

You're like the opposite of those guys who show up in DAP threads and want to know why people aren't just using their every day carry phones with dongle dac/amps instead of buying this expensive digital audio player...

May 17, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #4,912 of 6,519

Generally, a dedicated dongle DAC/AMP will beat a similarly priced DAP in terms of sound quality. In fact, budget DAPs below $100 are kinda obsolete now with the advent of good sounding dongles. Some $200 dongles like the Questyle M15 can give midFI DAP sound quality.

Secondly, using a DAP as a DAC has a few issues, namely battery life and size (Space constraint).

May 17, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #4,913 of 6,519

Use cases differ. I have a DAP and a dongle and whilst I very much like the DAP, they can be prohibitively expensive in some circumstances and offer a poor user experience when compared to a flagship phone to which a lot of people would be relying upon for their music library / streaming apps.

I can't speak specifically to the DAP you are referring to but I note that in my research, a lot of DAPs generally have poorer specifications when it comes to elements such as noise floor which is the reason why I bought a dongle.

I feel that the convenience of having a dongle and a cable versus the additional bulk of a DAP is more useful for a lot of people.

May 17, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #4,914 of 6,519

I guess I don't understand what you're saying. For me, I have A Sony NW-ZX300 DAP that I love, but I don't want to drag it around every time I go out.
We all carry a phone and new phones mostly don't have headphone jacks. I bought a phone with a 256GB hard drive to hold my music. You can get nice dongle DAC/amps as low as $75.00. Probably even lower.

Dongles are only for my phone's. I would never use an exterior DAC with any of my DAP's.

So, I guess I am confused by your question.

May 18, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #4,915 of 6,519

I kinda have the same way of thinking but Hidizs AP80 Pro X isn't a good exemple.
Dongles are all about size and weight and not carrying much more stuff than your phone and IEMs.
While the AP80 Pro X is indeed a small DAP it's already too big to be compared with a dongle at 61x54x13,8mm and 72g, it is roughly twice the size and weight of the biggest dongles.

However in my opinion Shanling M0 Pro is another story.
At 45x43,8x13,8mm and 36,8g it is not much bigger than the average dongle and weight about the same as a dongle on the heavier side.
It has dual ES9219C DACs and a balanced output of 236mW @ 32Ω which is comparable to most dongles.
But it is also a stand alone DAP with micro SD slot and has bi directional bluetooth that can act like a bigger blutooth amp (extreme exemple, but FiiO BTR7 has the same DACs and is twice the size and weight, and cost 80€ more by the way).

Why is it so interesting to me ?
Because it means when i don't have wifi access or no more 4G data to stream music i still have access to all my music (as most phones don't have a micro SD slot anymore, storage space is often very limited, especially when you listen to FLAC or "hi-res" audio), and if i don't want to bother with the tiny screen i can link it to my phone and browse and control it with the big screen. Plus my phone, which is also on the most compact size, is a Samsung Z Flip 3 which has a small battery and so is known for a bellow average battery life. The M0 Pro has its own battery so if i don't want to drain my phone i just use the M0 Pro battery, plus if my phone battery dies, again, i still can listen to music. It does everything and cover all of my use cases.

Regarding the sound, it doesn't suffer the comparison with my current dongle (Tanchjim Space), it drives my Sennheiser IE800 perfectly and even drives my Denon AH-D9200 quite well ! I had the Shanling M3X which is also a DAP on the small side but is still MUCH bigger and heavier than the M0 Pro or a dongle, yet it has the same DACs and have a similar sound quality. Regarding the size and the stuff i carry, well there is no down side compared to a dongle, because it's so tiny it still fits in my IEMs case.

So yeah IMO, the Shanling M0 Pro does it all without much of a downside, and kinda is a dongle and bluetooth amp killer because you get so much for your money.
It cost only 130€, which is about the average price of a dongle and cheaper than many bluetooth amp !

Here's all my setup, still fiting in my IEMs case (which is very pocketable at 75x75x30mm), just like with a dongle :
Shanling M0 Pro + Sennheiser IE800 MMCX Mod VesperAudio + ISN Audio C4 cable + Shanling 4.4mm balanced adaptor + FiiO USB cable

20230513-135832.jpg

20230513-140024.jpg

20230513-140044.jpg

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #4,916 of 6,519
Never needed a DAP once I got my first smartphone in 2010. I never looked back. Needing a dongle is pretty recent for me since my new phone doesn't have a 3.5mm. Before that I've used this:
3MGP0016.JPG

I refound it in a box e few years back. Had to spend a night in the freezer to resuscitate the battery :o2smile: Since then I have been periodically charging it...

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #4,917 of 6,519
(deleted)

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #4,918 of 6,519
Has anyone come across a usb c adaptor similar to this but with male two male pins, Would be an interesting way to place the dongles behind the phone.

So i received this one : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005005030851172.html

There is 13mm between the center of the 2 plugs and obviously the fit depends of the dimensions of the 2 devices it's intended to connect.
Unfortunately with my Z Flip 3 and my Tanchjim Space there is only about 10mm between their 2 USB sockets when they are back to back, so it leaves about 3mm between the 2 devices when connected and the Tanchjim kinda flops around, not ideal. (can't show it because my phone is my only camera)
Funnily enough the M0 Pro and the Space matches perfectly 😅

20230518-123548.jpg

20230518-163432.jpg

20230518-163502.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #4,919 of 6,519
So i received this one : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005005030851172.html

There is 13mm between the center of the 2 plugs and obviously the fit depends of the dimensions of the 2 devices it's intended to connect.
Unfortunately with my Z Flip 3 and my Tanchjim Space there is only about 10mm between their 2 USB sockets when they are back to back, so it leaves about 3mm between the 2 devices when connected and the Tanchjim kinda flops around, not ideal. (can't show it because my phone is my only camera)
Funnily enough the M0 Pro and the Space matches perfectly 😅

20230518-123548.jpg

20230518-163432.jpg

20230518-163502.jpg
That is great. Wish it could be designed with a movable, sliding mechanic to adjust exactly to each pairing

May 18, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #4,920 of 6,519
Battery longevity, lack of software support, no local repair services...
Yes, I forgot the after-sales service.
For the same price, DACs logically deliver better performance since they do not have a battety, screen, and software.
Good ESS 9218/9219 DACs are available starting ar $30.

After all, it is really great that all the choices exist, so you can get what will work best for you.
Got it, so in the same price segment the dac has better sound characteristics.
You're like the opposite of those guys who show up in DAP threads and want to know why people aren't just using their every day carry phones with dongle dac/amps instead of buying this expensive digital audio player...
Probably.
Generally, a dedicated dongle DAC/AMP will beat a similarly priced DAP in terms of sound quality. In fact, budget DAPs below $100 are kinda obsolete now with the advent of good sounding dongles. Some $200 dongles like the Questyle M15 can give midFI DAP sound quality.

Secondly, using a DAP as a DAC has a few issues, namely battery life and size (Space constraint).
From what they say, it's like it's hard to compete with $100 dacs unless you get to the top level.
Use cases differ. I have a DAP and a dongle and whilst I very much like the DAP, they can be prohibitively expensive in some circumstances and offer a poor user experience when compared to a flagship phone to which a lot of people would be relying upon for their music library / streaming apps.

I can't speak specifically to the DAP you are referring to but I note that in my research, a lot of DAPs generally have poorer specifications when it comes to elements such as noise floor which is the reason why I bought a dongle.

I feel that the convenience of having a dongle and a cable versus the additional bulk of a DAP is more useful for a lot of people.
I seem to understand why people don't want to use an entry level dac.
I guess I don't understand what you're saying. For me, I have A Sony NW-ZX300 DAP that I love, but I don't want to drag it around every time I go out.
We all carry a phone and new phones mostly don't have headphone jacks. I bought a phone with a 256GB hard drive to hold my music. You can get nice dongle DAC/amps as low as $75.00. Probably even lower.

Dongles are only for my phone's. I would never use an exterior DAC with any of my DAP's.

So, I guess I am confused by your question.
I didn't know little daps were such a nuisance.
I kinda have the same way of thinking but Hidizs AP80 Pro X isn't a good exemple.
Dongles are all about size and weight and not carrying much more stuff than your phone and IEMs.
While the AP80 Pro X is indeed a small DAP it's already too big to be compared with a dongle at 61x54x13,8mm and 72g, it is roughly twice the size and weight of the biggest dongles.

However in my opinion Shanling M0 Pro is another story.
At 45x43,8x13,8mm and 36,8g it is not much bigger than the average dongle and weight about the same as a dongle on the heavier side.
It has dual ES9219C DACs and a balanced output of 236mW @ 32Ω which is comparable to most dongles.
But it is also a stand alone DAP with micro SD slot and has bi directional bluetooth that can act like a bigger blutooth amp (extreme exemple, but FiiO BTR7 has the same DACs and is twice the size and weight, and cost 80€ more by the way).

Why is it so interesting to me ?
Because it means when i don't have wifi access or no more 4G data to stream music i still have access to all my music (as most phones don't have a micro SD slot anymore, storage space is often very limited, especially when you listen to FLAC or "hi-res" audio), and if i don't want to bother with the tiny screen i can link it to my phone and browse and control it with the big screen. Plus my phone, which is also on the most compact size, is a Samsung Z Flip 3 which has a small battery and so is known for a bellow average battery life. The M0 Pro has its own battery so if i don't want to drain my phone i just use the M0 Pro battery, plus if my phone battery dies, again, i still can listen to music. It does everything and cover all of my use cases.

Regarding the sound, it doesn't suffer the comparison with my current dongle (Tanchjim Space), it drives my Sennheiser IE800 perfectly and even drives my Denon AH-D9200 quite well ! I had the Shanling M3X which is also a DAP on the small side but is still MUCH bigger and heavier than the M0 Pro or a dongle, yet it has the same DACs and have a similar sound quality. Regarding the size and the stuff i carry, well there is no down side compared to a dongle, because it's so tiny it still fits in my IEMs case.

So yeah IMO, the Shanling M0 Pro does it all without much of a downside, and kinda is a dongle and bluetooth amp killer because you get so much for your money.
And yet it cost only 130€, which is about the average price of a dongle and cheaper than many bluetooth amp !

Here's all my setup, still fiting in my IEMs case (which is very pocketable at 75x75x30mm), just like with a dongle :
Shanling M0 Pro + Sennheiser IE800 MMCX Mod VesperAudio + ISN Audio C4 cable + Shanling 4.4mm balanced adaptor + FiiO USB cable

20230513-135832.jpg

20230513-140024.jpg

20230513-140044.jpg

My 2 cents.
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks! If I gave an example of such small devices, maybe I could explain myself much better. It's almost as small as a dac, can play music externally from the phone, and has a volume key on the side. It's almost as small as a dac and has more features than a dac, which is why it's so interesting to me. If it can be plugged into the phone with a cable and used as a dac, it makes sense to me, yes, mine was a bad example. Even though I live in a European country, switching between hi-fi music sometimes takes a few seconds, with an average archive such a small device makes a lot of sense to me. It's a very nice setup by the way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back