USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,026 of 6,468
So what is that 'what else' and why are manufacturers not telling me about it? If Steinway can do it, why can't Casio? I'm skeptical.
Craftsmanship, pedigree, engineering, care, r and d, etc...

I've tried dongles and DACs from £20 to £300 and they all have much the same specs and make similar claims, but they all sound totally different - and the more I've paid the more I've got. Worth every penny.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,027 of 6,468
Hello all,

I am new here and would like to ask you for an advice. I would like to develop a mobile app for Android and Apple tablets. This app shoul playseveral selected tones (e.g. 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz,...) and for every tone there should be different volume leves. The app should act like a "screening audiometer" or so.

Since there are many mobile devices on the market, I would like to avoid the internal DAC and user a external USB-C / Lightning converter to get the exact soung quality. I don't want any EQ, any added bass, or something like that. I would like to playback exactly what was recorded. I would like to use studio headphones. The volume on the output would be controlled by the app (ideally no converter on the external DAC/converter).

Portable size, max. desktop size. Price areound $150USD. Android and Apple compatible. Ideally something still available and not EOL. Design is not important.

Can you recommend me something?

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance.

PS: sorry for the poor description, I am not an audio pro

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #2,028 of 6,468
Tried the DC04 demo before, didn't like it cos everything been brought too upfront. Then, decided to get a BHD as they use the same dac configuration, both are warm, mids and bass focused. First impression of BHD is more natural and musical than DC04. Both SQ is similar, BHD is simply more enjoyable to me.

By paring BHD with AP80 pro, I can feel better soundstage, driving power seems bigger with BHD :L3000:

PXL_20210125_140030025.jpg

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #2,031 of 6,468
NOTE: Some users are reporting issues with certain android music apps.
New addition has just arrived - Rhodium dac. Periodic is ran by a team of very competent engineers. Good quality products with performance in mind and great support.

Based on a Realtec DAC. Usb C and 3.5mm output. Has a mic pass through so can be used with a headset, not just for music.

1612322149471.png
1612322271488.png

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #2,032 of 6,468
I have 9038s & D, and I hesitate to buy lotoo paw S1 or ibasso dc03-04.
Does someone compared both ?
I'm looking for a fuller and bodier sound.

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,033 of 6,468
I have 9038s & D, and I hesitate to buy lotoo paw S1 or ibasso dc03-04.
Does someone compared both ?
I'm looking for a fuller and bodier sound.

I think you wouldn't get as much from any of them, EIDA is a serious DAC already. Also, they have quite a different level of power output.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,034 of 6,468
Hello guys,

I would love if you could provide me with your wisdom and help me with chosing a dac/amp dongle. I read some of the threads here(including this one) but still cant make up my mind.

I would like to buy a dongle for Android (specifically S21ultra) but after reading about Nextra breaking after 4months that one is not a valid option anymore. I had Ibasso DAP before and it was okay, so I looked into DC03, but i got discouraged after reading its pretty much a hit or miss when it comes to functioning with Androids. I live in Europe so I would be having Exynos but dont know if that is the reason for it not working, that is unless you constantly restart the phone (the known roundabout).

I would be using the dongle mainly to connect my IEMs to watch movies on the phone (I have DAP, so playing music would only be in emergency situations).
I would prefer it to be of the size of Zorloo Ztella or if bigger then somewhat of DC03.
Suggestions from people who have experience with their device for 6+ months
would be well appreciated. Dont want to be impolite just that the review of Nextra didnt mention the issue and I assume it is just bc they cant be testing one device for over 3months to find out it breaks.

Thank you for any of your help and suggestions.
Love and health for you all
Sikon

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #2,035 of 6,468
I think you wouldn't get as much from any of them, EIDA is a serious DAC already. Also, they have quite a different level of power output.
Thanks

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #2,036 of 6,468
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #2,039 of 6,468
Hello guys,
Thank you for any of your help and suggestions.
Love and health for you all
Sikon

The best performers in my opinion are :
1 Apple USB-C dongle adapter. Measured and the cheapest while offering good performance.
2 Meizu HIFI pro. Measured output is very good. Small size, still rather cheap. Hard to find.
3 Lotoo Paw S1. User reviews are nothing but positive.
4 E1DA 9038Sg3 (2.5mm) and 9038D (3.5mm). Best performance and the most power on the market (measured). Draws a lot of current from the phone, can be tricky to use.

There are other DACs that work great and people use with good results. Many options to choose from.
I bought Xduoo Link 2 - lots of power and a bass boost. Sounds clean. Physical controls. AND Qudelix 5K, which is a BT dac/amp and can be used with 3.5 and 2.5 connectors, and is very configurable in the settings app on the phone.
Hope this helps.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #2,040 of 6,468
I think that's a fair summary, the L&P W1/2 will be amongst the top group too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back