USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 24, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #1,996 of 6,468
I will not use it for ios, and why 03? ^^

they both using same integrated DAC/amp solution from Cirrus Logic CS43131, DC03 utilized dual DAC configuration ✌

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #1,998 of 6,468
Also look at Zorloo Ztella, it has an MQA version and sounds better imho than DC03, although marginally. DC03 is a bit flatter, more clinical, Ztella is more musical. For metal DC might be better, but boils down to taste I guess.

As for is it worth it to upgrade to a DAC dongle - definitely yes, especially if you use high quality source files and have a goodish pair of headphones.

PS - I have no affiliation with Zorloo whatsoever, I just really love the Ztella :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #1,999 of 6,468
Also look at Zorloo Ztella, it has an MQA version and sounds better imho than DC03, although marginally. DC03 is a bit flatter, more clinical, Ztella is more musical. For metal DC might be better, but boils down to taste I guess.

As for is it worth it to upgrade to a DAC dongle - definitely yes, especially if you use high quality source files and have a goodish pair of headphones.

PS - I have no affiliation with Zorloo whatsoever, I just really love the Ztella :wink:

i will definitely look at it, thank you for your suggestion. and i am using KZ ZS10 PRO.

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #2,001 of 6,468
So I have a Meizu HiFi Pro USB-C to 3.5mm DAC that I’ve used with good results on both Android and a Windows laptop. I recently got an iPad Air 4 which is USB-C. It does work with the iPad, but the first half of the volume steps are silent and then the second half jump up really fast making each step in volume way to large. The same thing happens when I try it with my iPhone 12 Mini with an adapter, it again works, but the first half of the volume steps are silent, then the second half jump up really fast. Anyone experienced this issue and have a solution?

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #2,002 of 6,468
So I have a Meizu HiFi Pro USB-C to 3.5mm DAC that I’ve used with good results on both Android and a Windows laptop. I recently got an iPad Air 4 which is USB-C. It does work with the iPad, but the first half of the volume steps are silent and then the second half jump up really fast making each step in volume way to large. The same thing happens when I try it with my iPhone 12 Mini with an adapter, it again works, but the first half of the volume steps are silent, then the second half jump up really fast. Anyone experienced this issue and have a solution?
Same situation on iOS in general (I’m on the same boat, though iPhone X instead of 12)
I think its a power supply thing rather than anything else, iPad does feed it better than the iPhone, my solution from time to time is to apply the “high output mode” trick (connect the headphone jack with one earphone disconnected if possible, then connect it when you have your screen unlocked) it does draw more power in any of the 2 cases.

Apple’s lightning port its so ... schtupid

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #2,003 of 6,468
Same situation on iOS in general (I’m on the same boat, though iPhone X instead of 12)
I think its a power supply thing rather than anything else, iPad does feed it better than the iPhone, my solution from time to time is to apply the “high output mode” trick (connect the headphone jack with one earphone disconnected if possible, then connect it when you have your screen unlocked) it does draw more power in any of the 2 cases.

When I use my iPad with my desktop DAC it works fine though. I use the Apple USB-C to full size USB adapter and the USB to mini USB cable to my old JDS Labs ODAC it works just fine and definitely provides the same volume to the DAC as windows does.
1C8635ED-76C0-4AB4-BD78-1255D418A2F9.jpeg

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #2,004 of 6,468

It doesn't have anything to do with the power supply. All modern iPhones and iPads supply a nominal 5V and more than enough current to power the majority of headphones and IEMs.
What's probably happening is that both iOS and the Meizu dongle itself are applying a logarithmic volume curve to the UAC2 commands that iOS is using to control the dongle's hardware volume (remember: the only volume control you get in iOS via USB is UAC2 hardware volume).
This stacking of logarithmic transforms makes the final volume curve basically useless until you reach 50%.
Afaik, there's no real solution to this. Neither iOS, nor the Meizu dongle allow you to change their volume behavior.
Tricking the dongle into high impedance mode is a valid workaround of course.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,005 of 6,468
It doesn't have anything to do with the power supply. All modern iPhones and iPads supply a nominal 5V and more than enough current to power the majority of headphones and IEMs.
What's probably happening is that both iOS and the Meizu dongle itself are applying a logarithmic volume curve to the UAC2 commands that iOS is using to control the dongle's hardware volume (remember: the only volume control you get in iOS via USB is UAC2 hardware volume).
This stacking of logarithmic transforms makes the final volume curve basically useless until you reach 50%.
Afaik, there's no real solution to this. Neither iOS, nor the Meizu dongle allow you to change their volume behavior.
Tricking the dongle into high impedance mode is a valid workaround of course.

This is kind of what I was thinking. It gets loud enough, but there is just no control over the volume. There are like 2, maybe 3 usable steps of volume before it’s either too quiet or too loud. I guess the best solution for iOS is to use a DAC that has its own volume control and put the iOS volume at 100%. My iPad works fine with my ODAC, and my NX4DSD.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #2,008 of 6,468
Seems Tempotec is coming up with a Tempotec Sonata E35. Seems it is a 3.5 mm version of the Tempotec Sonata BHD:

It appears to have a fixed USB-C and 3.5 mm unlike the Sonata HD Pro, so not sure if this may be a point of failure down the line. But reviews and specs for the BHD were good, so I don't mind getting this if it is discounted at the next sale.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #2,009 of 6,468
Additional information about DSD256 playback on iBasso DC03/DC04:

To play DSD256 files on your Windows OS, you will need to install Foobar2000, ASIO Proxy v0.9.4 and components: foo_input_sacd v0.8.1, foo_out_asio(general ASIO support for foobar2000) and foo_input_dsdiff.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't work with newer versions of foo_input_sacd, which is why then it needs to be considered a bug.

Then, open "Preferences" tab, Tools, SACD and then set your "Output Mode" to DSD.
Then find "Playback", "Output", choose ASIO : foo_dsd_asio and set buffer length at 50ms.
Go to the option that's called "ASIO", check "Use 64-bit ASIO drivers" and then double-click on foo_dsd_asio. ASIO Device should be set on "BRAVO-HD".

Now you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #2,010 of 6,468
in that case.. the issued is in gear...
I try to connect to laptop using Audirvana, it only read this

Hey, I was fiddling around with DSD256 playback both on Windows, and macOS, and it seems that macOS uses DSD over PCM protocol. Basically, that's the reason why it won't play DSD256 on Mac. There's a link where people were discussing this issue. There's a link where people were discussing this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back