USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2,042 of 6,468
I'm using the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm jack adapter through my I-Phone SE. I've just ditched Apple music in favour of Amazon Music HD. Now that i'm no longer using Apple Music the EQ won't work. The sound is pretty poor to be fair. Using HD 598's at the minute. Has anyone else experienced this poor sound quality or may my adapter be faulty?

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #2,043 of 6,468
I'm using the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm jack adapter through my I-Phone SE. I've just ditched Apple music in favour of Amazon Music HD. Now that i'm no longer using Apple Music the EQ won't work. The sound is pretty poor to be fair. Using HD 598's at the minute. Has anyone else experienced this poor sound quality or may my adapter be faulty?
What sounds “poor” about it? What kind of EQ’ing were you doing before?

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,045 of 6,468
Thanks guys. I'm new to the game so can't give you definitive accounts regarding the highs lows and mids. All i can say is that the sound in general is flat, vocals and instruments don't really have any seperation. In comparison it sounds no better to me than the apple in ears with my old I-Phone 5. I was using the EQ on the I-Phone itself, the basic one where you select rock/dance/pop etc. Is there another EQ app you'd recommend for the I-Phone to work with Amazon Music HD? Thanks again.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #2,046 of 6,468
Hi, ibasso DC03 is looking for an ear monitor. Up to $ 100. What I looked at is the Ibasso IT00, but the problem is that it has 1 drive in it. What can you suggest? Usage would be very mixed, classical music, movie, pop, game.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #2,047 of 6,468
Hi, ibasso DC03 is looking for an ear monitor. Up to $ 100. What I looked at is the Ibasso IT00, but the problem is that it has 1 drive in it. What can you suggest? Usage would be very mixed, classical music, movie, pop, game.

Based on your wide requirements, and at the budget segment, it's gonna be very hard to find something that fits all your requirements. There's bound to be compromises. Eg classical music would generally benefit from something with good timbre and something neutralish. Pop would benefit from something V shaped. Gaming would benefit from something with good imaging and perhaps something with good soundstage.

U can read about the BLON BL-05S, I think it is quite a good all rounder, but some may need to change tips and cables. And it scales better with amping.

iBasso IT00 is actually not bad. It is quite a good all rounder, just that it is quite bassy, so not so suitable for those who are bass averse. It also has quite a big driver flex issue, but otherwise it is a U shaped set that is quite good in most areas. Timbre is good, FR is coloured, the lower mids are quite warm.

About your point about 1 driver IEMs, driver count is not as important as tuning and implementation IMHO.
- You can have multi driver monstrosities like some of the KZs and TRNs, most of them have crossover and tonality and timbre issues.
- Conversely, you can have a single dynamic driver that is well implemented that can trump some of these multi driver behemoths in tuning,and timbre, but possibly the multi driver types at the budget segment will still win in technical performance (in general).

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #2,048 of 6,468
There are several brands that have good value for money IEM's, like Etymotic and RHA.
I can recommend the RHA MA750 or the Etymotic ER2SE (or ER2XR).
The Etymotic is probably a bit more expensive than the RHA.
It is worth to research them both.

A list of headphones can be found here:
https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #2,049 of 6,468
Feb 8, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,050 of 6,468
I am trying to get an ibasso DC04 to work on a Samsung S20 + and it is impossible. I have tried restarting the smartphone several times as well as updating the firmware and it still does not detect it. Neither the UAP application nor the UAC application detect it. I also tried various OTG adapters. However, on a Windows 10 PC it works. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #2,051 of 6,468
I am trying to get an ibasso DC04 to work on a Samsung S20 + and it is impossible. I have tried restarting the smartphone several times as well as updating the firmware and it still does not detect it. Neither the UAP application nor the UAC application detect it. I also tried various OTG adapters. However, on a Windows 10 PC it works. Does anyone know how to fix it?

You need usb C to female usb otg adapter to work with some Samsung device's.
images (30).jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #2,052 of 6,468
You need usb C to female usb otg adapter to work with some Samsung device's.

I have tested with this USB OTG to usb c adapter. I think it should be the same. I have tested it on a Sony smartphone and if it detects it. I do not understand what is the problem with Samsung smartphones.

EDIT: I have tried with a USB hub from my laptop and so if it detects it. So I will buy another USB a to USB c OTG cable.

Attachments

• 20210208_130212.jpg
    20210208_130212.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    605.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #2,053 of 6,468
I have tested with this USB OTG to usb c adapter. I think it should be the same. I have tested it on a Sony smartphone and if it detects it. I do not understand what is the problem with Samsung smartphones.

EDIT: I have tried with a USB hub from my laptop and so if it detects it. So I will buy another USB a to USB c OTG cable.

yeap... fyi my S21 Ultra and poco X3 working fine directly without otg adapter

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #2,054 of 6,468
Don’t get caught in driver count. Some very capable single drivers out there.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #2,055 of 6,468
Hi guys, just published my Hiby FC3 review, beats the Apple dongle by lightyears in direct comparison: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-fc3.24946/reviews

I'm thinking about buying this FC3 to use with my Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro.
My best headphones are the Ibasso IT03 and Sony WH1000XM3.

I'm wondering if I should get a USB-C to 3.5mm DAC, or buy a dedicated DAP. The Sony NW-A55L is now on sale for about 140EU/170USD.
The Hiby FC3 would be 57EUR/69USD or I could buy the Ibasso DC03 for 42EUR/51USD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back