USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Apr 6, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #331 of 6,187
I'm new to DSD, so please excuse the "stupid" question.

I've just installed the trial UAPP on my Note 3 and am playing it through Android as I don't have a USB DAC yet. FLAC files play fine (after a reinstall - kept getting an error message the first time).

Now I'm testing the DSF and DFF files I downloaded from justlisten.nativedsd.com. I'm getting "Error decoding!". Do I have to have a USB DAC that can handle DSD files to play them back? I guess UAPP doesn't have a software decoder to play them back through Android.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #332 of 6,187
What USB DAC device do you have exactly? I can play up to DSD256 without glichtes with my Samsung S4 and the iFi micro iDSD and UAPP.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #333 of 6,187
I'm new to DSD, so please excuse the "stupid" question.

I've just installed the trial UAPP on my Note 3 and am playing it through Android as I don't have a USB DAC yet. FLAC files play fine (after a reinstall - kept getting an error message the first time).

Now I'm testing the DSF and DFF files I downloaded from justlisten.nativedsd.com. I'm getting "Error decoding!". Do I have to have a USB DAC that can handle DSD files to play them back? I guess UAPP doesn't have a software decoder to play them back through Android.

You hit the nail on the head at the end there.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #334 of 6,187

gixxerwimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... am playing it through Android as I don't have a USB DAC yet...

...I guess UAPP doesn't have a software decoder to play them back through Android.

h1f1add1cted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  What USB DAC device do you have exactly? I can play up to DSD256 without glichtes with my Samsung S4 and the iFi micro iDSD and UAPP.

I'm thinking of getting the micro iDSD. Does it work only with UAPP? Or can your S4 send system audio to it? How do you like the micro?

NZtechfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif   You hit the nail on the head at the end there.

Ha! I answered my own question. Just needed confirmation that it was correct. Thanks!

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #335 of 6,187
I got my otg cable to connect my Galaxy S4 with the Geekout 450.  The Geekout turned on but when I turned on UAPP it gave me an error saying it failed to initialize USB device.  I saw threads on the LHLabs forums that said it worked with Galaxy S3, so why it is not working with my S4?

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #336 of 6,187
So I had a listen to the HA-2 demo unit that just arrived in Taipei. Worked fine with my Note 3 using Poweramp and Onkyo HF Player. HFP played all but 1 of the free DSD tracks I downloaded from justlisten.nativedsd.com over Easter weekend (DSD128 dsf and DSD256 dsf/dff). UAPP (trial) only managed to play one of the tracks, giving "Error decoding!" that I got when trying to play them without a USB DAC attached for all the others. I also had to reinstall it to continue trying as the "demo limit" ran out before I got the the 1 file that would play. Not impressed.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #337 of 6,187
I got my otg cable to connect my Galaxy S4 with the Geekout 450.  The Geekout turned on but when I turned on UAPP it gave me an error saying it failed to initialize USB device.  I saw threads on the LHLabs forums that said it worked with Galaxy S3, so why it is not working with my S4?

Same thing here. I wonder if it's related to the firmware update for the Geek?

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #339 of 6,187
Basically S4 doesn't support USB audio.  I'm waiting for Lolipop to be available and see if it works with that.

Well when I had the S4 it certainly supported USB audio, worked on a number of DACs. I'm referring to the same error with the Geek, only on the Note 4.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #342 of 6,187
Just updated my Android to Lolipop and now GeekOut 450 works with my Galaxy S4 via UAPP!  Only problem is that I have to set the volume to the very minimum just to have it listenable for my portable headphones.

EDIT: figured out the hardware volume control on UAPP fixed the problem.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #343 of 6,187
  Just updated my Android to Lolipop and now GeekOut 450 works with my Galaxy S4 via UAPP!  Only problem is that I have to set the volume to the very minimum just to have it listenable for my portable headphones.

EDIT: figured out the hardware volume control on UAPP fixed the problem.

great.
how did you get lollipop on the S4, by rooting it or carrier upgrade?
verizon hasn't given me lollipop yet :frowning2:

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #345 of 6,187
I've been using UAPP for several days now, and WOW!  What a fantastic app!  I won't extoll it's virtues here, as others have already done so more eloquently than I am able.  I would like to address the only real issue I've had, which has been mentioned previously in this thread.  I love it that we can stream our FLAC (or whichever) files from our PCs and servers to UAPP, and that it is really pretty simple to set up the Samba share from within the app, but if you don't know Samba from Simba then it can really be quite a bear (lion?) to accomplish the task.  So here in a nutshell is how to do it.

The "Network share" page from within UAPP asks for four things: "Name:", "Address (URL):", "User name:", and "Password:".  Simple enough, and here's what it wants.

Name:  This is an arbitrary name that you assign for your own identification.  You can call it what ever you want, as long as you don't use illegal characters (I assume).  I have no idea what those characters are so explore at your own peril.

Address(URL):  smb://          You will want to append your computer's name directly after the double forward slash.  In Windows 8.1, if you select "User Accounts" and then "Configure advanced user profile properties", a small window will open named "User Profiles".  It lists profiles stored on the computer.  I have only one, but if you have more I would imagine that you'd want to select the one that you'll be logged on to when streaming from the PC.  The name is listed as [computer name]\[user name], where [computer name] may be something like "Jims-computer" or "Dell-PC", or whatever you or the computer manufacturer have named your machine.  Simply type the computer's name in right after the smb:// , without any spaces.  For instance, it would look something like        smb://jims-computer         I don't know if capital letters are OK, but I just used lower-case.

User Name:            The user name is the [user name] field from the above step.  Again, no spaces and I had used lower-case.

Password:              This is the password you use to sign on to your computer.  If you don't have one then you may have to create one; I don't know.  I do use a password, the same one that I log in with and that Microsoft uses for logging on to their system at start-up.

That's it!  Good luck and enjoy all of those wonderful music files you have stored on your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back