USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jun 12, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #2,777 of 6,188
Hi, is this UAPP not being able to do Tidal offline deffinitve or are discussions with Tidal going on?

I find UAPP sounding clearly better than Tidal app in G7, but not having Tidal offline is a major drawback for me.

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #2,778 of 6,188
Hi, is this UAPP not being able to do Tidal offline deffinitve or are discussions with Tidal going on?

I find UAPP sounding clearly better than Tidal app in G7, but not having Tidal offline is a major drawback for me.

There is no way for UAPP to do Tidal offline, as they don't allow it. I believe that is definitive.

As long as you only play Master/MQA albums, you can play them in the Tidal app, and it will sound the same as when played in UAPP. This is true on V30 and (I believe) other LG models with ESS DAC and hardware MQA decoder/renderer.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #2,779 of 6,188
There is no way for UAPP to do Tidal offline, as they don't allow it. I believe that is definitive.

As long as you only play Master/MQA albums, you can play them in the Tidal app, and it will sound the same as when played in UAPP. This is true on V30 and (I believe) other LG models with ESS DAC and hardware MQA decoder/renderer.

Thanks. Cloudy future then.

Does it really sound the same to you? I have tried several time with different songs and always preferred UAPP over Tidal in my G7

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #2,780 of 6,188
Thanks. Cloudy future then.

Does it really sound the same to you? I have tried several time with different songs and always preferred UAPP over Tidal in my G7

It sounds the same because it DOES exactly the same -- assuming of course you have all processing, EQ, volume normalization disabled in both apps, and set it to download/stream Master quality in the settings menu.

Check this post (and others) for details and evidence.

The reason is that both UAPP and the Tidal app have dedicated support for the hardware MQA in V30, so they both route it to the DAC in the same way with the same flags. I assume that is true for V35, V40, G7 as well, but I have only tested it on V30, so I could be wrong about those other phones. You can verify it on your G7 by inspecting audio_flinger dumps as described on this UAPP support page.

Now, that's ONLY true when we talk Master/MQA tracks. Redbook 16/44 tracks are a whole other matter: They will be played through the Android Mixer path by the Tidal app, causing them to be upsampled to 48KHz. So there you will hear a difference. But Master/MQA tracks are generally 24-bit, which most apps (including Tidal) manage to play through the Direct path and offloadable, meaning they will bypass the Android Mixer and go straight to the DAC.

So we all still need UAPP anyway in order to play Redbook 16/44 tracks unmolested.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #2,781 of 6,188
It sounds the same because it DOES exactly the same -- assuming of course you have all processing, EQ, volume normalization disabled in both apps, and set it to download/stream Master quality in the settings menu.

Check this post (and others) for details and evidence.

The reason is that both UAPP and the Tidal app have dedicated support for the hardware MQA in V30, so they both route it to the DAC in the same way with the same flags. I assume that is true for V35, V40, G7 as well, but I have only tested it on V30, so I could be wrong about those other phones. You can verify it on your G7 by inspecting audio_flinger dumps as described on this UAPP support page.

Now, that's ONLY true when we talk Master/MQA tracks. Redbook 16/44 tracks are a whole other matter: They will be played through the Android Mixer path by the Tidal app, causing them to be upsampled to 48KHz. So there you will hear a difference. But Master/MQA tracks are generally 24-bit, which most apps (including Tidal) manage to play through the Direct path and offloadable, meaning they will bypass the Android Mixer and go straight to the DAC.

So we all still need UAPP anyway in order to play Redbook 16/44 tracks unmolested.
If I recall correctly, everything you wrote is accurate, but with the proviso that you are not on Android 9... I think Android 9 breaks uapp’s unmolested bit stream so it too is upsampled to 48Khz. But that may have changed recently.

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #2,782 of 6,188
If I recall correctly, everything you wrote is accurate, but with the proviso that you are not on Android 9... I think Android 9 breaks uapp’s unmolested bit stream so it too is upsampled to 48Khz. But that may have changed recently.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. Again, I was writing in the context of V30, which doesn't have Android 9 Pie yet. But the reports from @csglinux (V40) and @ctheanh (V35) in the V30 tricks thread show that we have some real problems with Pie, both concerning UAPP and music delivery in general. I am hoping that that Davy can fix the issues in UAPP. And my understanding was that the Tidal app can still play MQA, so we would have that. But I am definitely staying on Oreo until things improve.

I am guessing that LG's Pie releases are the first outputs from their new software center, which they announced last summer as an attempt to focus on faster software releases. Of course the "faster" bit hasn't quite materialized yet. And it would seem that the lone developer on their old team who understood audio was lost in the shuffle :triportsad:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #2,783 of 6,188
@Davy Wentzler
Could you please have a look at the USB connection to the @Audeze Mobius. 8 Channel just produces digital noise and stereo needs the Android drivers. Really like you app, so it would be great to use it with the Mobius. Probably the right person to speak about this at Audeze would be @KMann (Karthick Manivannan).

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #2,784 of 6,188
@Davy Wentzler
Could you please have a look at the USB connection to the @Audeze Mobius. 8 Channel just produces digital noise and stereo needs the Android drivers. Really like you app, so it would be great to use it with the Mobius. Probably the right person to speak about this at Audeze would be @KMann (Karthick Manivannan).

Multichannel devices are not supported. Does it have a physical button to choose between 8 and 2 channels?

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #2,785 of 6,188
I've been using UAAP recently on my LG V30 along with sensitive IEMs ( FIIO FH1 ) and Tidal FLAC streaming sounds fantastic (as expected)
not sure about the audio quality when streaming MQA though ...
is this behavior normal ?
https://imgur.com/a/FcMKn25
I think that tidal offline MQA playback sounds better than UAAP MQA streaming but I haven't managed to do a direct A/B comparison yet.

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,788 of 6,188
I've been using UAAP recently on my LG V30 along with sensitive IEMs ( FIIO FH1 ) and Tidal FLAC streaming sounds fantastic (as expected)
not sure about the audio quality when streaming MQA though ...
is this behavior normal ?
https://imgur.com/a/FcMKn25
I think that tidal offline MQA playback sounds better than UAAP MQA streaming but I haven't managed to do a direct A/B comparison yet.

Something does look off in that screendump: The file sample rate should be 48KHz, not 96KHz (see my screenshot below).

Screenshot_2019-06-15-12-27-12.png
I wonder if UAPP's software based MQA decoder is running and doing a 1st unfold (48 -> 96KHz) before passing it to the DAC. You don't need that in-app purchase for your V30 (although you may want it for other devices or DACs that don't have hardware MQA). See if you can disable that option, I assume in Settings or under MQA playback (I don't have that option myself). Then make sure in Settings > Internal HiRes audio > HiRes driver flags that MQA is enabled and nothing else. Finally, reboot the phone if you have been switching back and forth between UAPP and other music apps, as gremlins can sometimes stay behind until flushed out.

And of course, don't update to Android Pie when it comes out for your V30, as that will mess up UAPP and MQA. I think you were already aware of that.

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #2,789 of 6,188
Something does look off in that screendump: The file sample rate should be 48KHz, not 96KHz (see my screenshot below).

I wonder if UAPP's software based MQA decoder is running and doing a 1st unfold (48 -> 96KHz) before passing it to the DAC. You don't need that in-app purchase for your V30 (although you may want it for other devices or DACs that don't have hardware MQA). See if you can disable that option, I assume in Settings or under MQA playback (I don't have that option myself). Then make sure in Settings > Internal HiRes audio > HiRes driver flags that MQA is enabled and nothing else. Finally, reboot the phone if you have been switching back and forth between UAPP and other music apps, as gremlins can sometimes stay behind until flushed out.

And of course, don't update to Android Pie when it comes out for your V30, as that will mess up UAPP and MQA. I think you were already aware of that.

Uapp doesn't work with Android Pie??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back