USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Sep 1, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #5,867 of 6,219
actualy im in the same boat. I wish that i can access this app or Similar in Linux.

Using an extra layer of abstraction - you may be able to run an Android emulator in Linux, and check with @Davy Wentzler about installing UAPP.

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #5,869 of 6,219
Agree on Onkyo Hifi player on 3 key points:
1. SQ
2. Upsampling/Converting (what other's don't have) to DSD128 (256?)
3. Ease of use

Not using it because:
1. No network access, local files only.
2. No online streaming or built in UPNP option
3. Limited to DSD 128 (256?).
4. No MQA support.
Have you been able to attach a usb HD to Onkyo hifi and it recognizes it? When I try, it says "usb HD has been removed". I can't email them because the address doesn't work.

Sep 2, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #5,872 of 6,219
Have you been able to attach a usb HD to Onkyo hifi and it recognizes it? When I try, it says "usb HD has been removed". I can't email them because the address doesn't work.
Nope, sorry. What I had was an AndroidTV box w/ an internal HDD. But that was 6-7 years ago..before my NAS.

Had an experiment witrh UAPP and Neutron 7-8 yrs back it worked.

lLepG5q.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #5,873 of 6,219
That's because Apple Music doesn't recognise the DAC.

Apple music recognises the DAC just fine, it just doesn't ask for permission to use it.

I guess Apple figure that just because you have plugged in a DAC you don't necessarily want to use with with Apple Music.

Come to think of it Tidal do it the same way, they both seem to have figured a way around the apparently Android forced pop up upon plugging in a DAC and UAPP apparently hasn't according to their response to my query.

I would have UAPP installed on my Android DAP for occasional use because there are some feature of it that I like but I got tired of the pop up so I just don't bother anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #5,874 of 6,219
Apple music recognises the DAC just fine, it just doesn't ask for permission to use it.

I guess Apple figure that just because you have plugged in a DAC you don't necessarily want to use with with Apple Music.

Come to think of it Tidal do it the same way, they both seem to have figured a way around the apparently Android forced pop up upon plugging in a DAC and UAPP apparently hasn't according to their response to my query.

I would have UAPP installed on my Android DAP for occasional use because there are some feature of it that I like but I got tired of the pop up so I just don't bother anymore.
What I meant was Apple/android doesn't allow the DAC to control the audio to play bit perfect, so it's just playing android scaled music, which is not ideal. The pop up is uapp asking permission take over the audio chain to improve the sound. Which it does.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #5,875 of 6,219
What I meant was Apple/android doesn't allow the DAC to control the audio to play bit perfect, so it's just playing android scaled music, which is not ideal. The pop up is uapp asking permission take over the audio chain to improve the sound. Which it does.

Both the Tidal app and Apple Music are bit perfect, I believe that is the case on the latest versions of Android and the latest versions of each app.

It certainly is the case on my FiiO M11 Plus which is not limited by the Android 48kHz issue.

Sep 3, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #5,876 of 6,219
Both the Tidal app and Apple Music are bit perfect, I believe that is the case on the latest versions of Android and the latest versions of each app.

It certainly is the case on my FiiO M11 Plus which is not limited by the Android 48kHz issue.

Hiya

I think it may have been bit perfect but perhaps not now? Using Tidal on my S21 with Mojo 2 it's output is 48kHz, unless I am doing something wrong.

J

Sep 4, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #5,879 of 6,219

Apple never has been bit perfect from phone to dac. DAPs like the FiiO can make their own rules, thankfully. Android 14 will allow apps to implement bit perfect from phone to dac. We'll have to see who does.

Sep 4, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #5,880 of 6,219
Apple never has been bit perfect from phone to dac. DAPs like the FiiO can make their own rules, thankfully. Android 14 will allow apps to implement bit perfect from phone to dac. We'll have to see who does.

Are you absolutely sure regarding Apple Music on Android ?

I am an iPhone user but after using a couple of Android DAPs for a couple of years I am considering going to a Samsung S23 instead of an iPhone 15. As such I have been doing a bit of reading about Tidal and Apple Music on Androids phones and I have seen many references to bit perfect playback for both with the more recent versions of the apps for a year or more.

I understand that Android 14 has done away with the 48kHz thing but based on what I have read it seemed Tidal and Apple had worked around that anyway, just like on iPhone, some time ago.

I would love to know for certain as that would play into my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back