USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Feb 21, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #3,466 of 6,195
Hello everybody!

I received my Hiby R6 Pro from Ali and have already bought UAPP for it.
There are several questions (problems).

1. I have all the DSD files packaged in a wavepack. UAPP only plays them through conversion to PCM, if I turn on the DSD native, I hear a click and then silence (the time counter goes on). DSF files natively play without problems.

2. When playing DSD256 (wavepack) - every 5-10 seconds there is a loss of sound for 1-2 seconds ..

I would be grateful for any advice.

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #3,467 of 6,195
The Hiby R5 is not supported at all. The config file does not state a HiRes mode AFAIK and can only be accessed by system apps using ALSA directly. Perhaps things changed, but that's the last thing I heard from it.

When you say the R5 is not supported what do you mean? I have downloaded your program onto my R5 and my S10+ and it works wonderfully on both. I am however having a problem playing DSD files on the R5 through uapp. I get a very loud White Noise. I probably have some setting wrong on the R5.

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #3,468 of 6,195
Now Fiio M15 is the new player in town....if that's an actual way of saying this in English. It doesn't support google play store.
Any chance to make UAPP available on it?

I just bought a M11 PRO (which should be similar), but cannot get the sample rate to switch. I have sent FiiO an email, but haven't received a reply. Until that time there is no point having UAPP on it.

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #3,471 of 6,195
@Davy Wentzler

I ask you to pay attention to my questions. I do not speak English, so it is probably not entirely clear what I am asking.

The native soft-player HibyMusic (Hiby R6 Pro) does not understand the wavpack format and I'm trying to play such files using your program UAPP, so I am addressing questions to you.
1. DSD (only in the wavpack container) is not output in the DSD-native mode, the output is silence, although a time counter indicates that the player is playing the track. If the option "DSD-native" is not checked in the UAPP settings, then everything plays fine through conversion to PСM, on the display for DSD64 - 352.8, for DSD128-256 - 384 (why is it not a multiple of 44.1???).
DSD in the DSF file format is reproduced in the "DSD-native" mode without these problems.

2. When playing a file DSD256 wavpack or DSF through PCM every 5-10 seconds, the sound disappears for a moment. It seems that the processor cannot handle real-time file processing. Files DSD64 and DSD128 do not have such problems, they are reproduced perfectly.

I ask you to suggest possible solutions to these problems. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #3,472 of 6,195
@Davy Wentzler

Can you please help me make sense of MQA playback on LG V20. I just purchased the MQA add-on for your app and selected two MQA albums that are listed as having 192khz sampling rates. When I play them in UAPP the play status says only 96khz is being output. See my screenshot below. Does this seem right?
Screenshot_2020-02-22-04-30-18.png

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #3,473 of 6,195
@Victorr

I am not Davy but I will try to help.

1. Hiby R6 Pro does not officially support Wavpack.

2. Try increasing your internal buffers on: Settings -> Internal HiRes audio -> Buffer size

@runssical

For non certified MQA device (like our LGV20) 1st fold only @ 88.2 or 96, using the MQA Core Decoder.
You need a certified MQA DAC Rendered / Full Decoder to avail the full resolution.
https://www.mqa.co.uk/how-it-works

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #3,474 of 6,195
@Davy Wentzler

I ask you to pay attention to my questions. I do not speak English, so it is probably not entirely clear what I am asking.

The native soft-player HibyMusic (Hiby R6 Pro) does not understand the wavpack format and I'm trying to play such files using your program UAPP, so I am addressing questions to you.
1. DSD (only in the wavpack container) is not output in the DSD-native mode, the output is silence, although a time counter indicates that the player is playing the track. If the option "DSD-native" is not checked in the UAPP settings, then everything plays fine through conversion to PСM, on the display for DSD64 - 352.8, for DSD128-256 - 384 (why is it not a multiple of 44.1???).
DSD in the DSF file format is reproduced in the "DSD-native" mode without these problems.

2. When playing a file DSD256 wavpack or DSF through PCM every 5-10 seconds, the sound disappears for a moment. It seems that the processor cannot handle real-time file processing. Files DSD64 and DSD128 do not have such problems, they are reproduced perfectly.

I ask you to suggest possible solutions to these problems. Thanks.

Please contact support at info@extreamsd.com I can only answer simple questions here.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #3,475 of 6,195
Please contact support at info@extreamsd.com I can only answer simple questions here.
Thanks for the answer. I will write to the support service.

Today I’ve been trying for several hours to output sound to an external DAC (Chord Qutest) through the USB interface. All my experiments have shown that DSD is not directly transmitted at all, the program writes that it does not “see” the corresponding DAC. PCM of any sampling frequency (from 44.1 up to 384), as well as DSD with conversion to PCM, is output to the DAC only with 96 kHz parameters. This frequency is shown by the DAC. I tried everything settings, nothing changes. It is very strange, given that the developer of the program declares the exact opposite - a bitperfect transmission. Perhaps this is some kind of incompatibility with the Hiby R6 Pro.
I want to note that at the same time, "Hiby Music" transfers all formats to the DAC correctly, without conversion

1. Hiby R6 Pro does not officially support Wavpack.

2. Try increasing your internal buffers on: Settings -> Internal HiRes audio -> Buffer size

Thank you for your reply.
Hiby R6 Pro - in itself, does not support any formats at all. We are talking about soft players. Hiby Music - does not support wavpack, but UAPP supports. Before buying this program, I asked about it and Davy Wentzler confirmed it to me.

Changing the size of the buffer does not change anything, unfortunately.

Apparently, the developer still has work to do. :)

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #3,476 of 6,195
Can you please help me make sense of MQA playback on LG V20. I just purchased the MQA add-on for your app and selected two MQA albums that are listed as having 192khz sampling rates. When I play them in UAPP the play status says only 96khz is being output. See my screenshot below. Does this seem right?

As @m-i-c-k-e-y replied, the MQA software add-on is only allowed to perform 1st unfold, whereas an MQA hardware renderer is required for 2nd unfold, that's why you get only half the listed sample rate. V30 and newer LG phones have full hardware MQA -- they don't even need the UAPP add-on. I would add, though, that the 1st unfold is by far the most significant as far as adding audio quality. 2nd unfold is very subtle.

<off topic>And then I am compelled to commend your music taste: Shostakovich cello concertos and Bruckner symphonies :thumbsup: I personally prefer the Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin Bruckner cycle, both for interpretation, tempi and recording quality, particularly #5, #7 and #8. Reference Recordings #9 by Skrowaczewski/Minnesota Orchestra is my all time favorite, and #4 by Honeck/Pittsburgh Symphony is great too. I haven't yet listened to the new #9 by Honeck/Pittsburgh, which gets great reviews.</off topic>

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #3,477 of 6,195
Looking for honest 1st hand bases experience here.... My question in short is:

I don't see a trial version of UAPP in the google app store. Should I pay $8 for UAPP if I had a negative experience with streaming music from my Note 8 using the Neutron player using it's high rez USB driver? Will UAPP indeed 'better' it? Honestly.

Why I ask.

Just got an E1DA PowerDAC V2. Very impressed with it when fed music from Roon, -both-

1. fed from a Windows 10 micro (arm based) PC (which didnt do any resampling)
2. or from the Roon remote app running on my Note 8 (where Roon does resample everything to 48kHz).

The two sounded nearly identical: dynamic, engaging, powerful bass, sizzling highs, clean detail everywhere ... all the superlatives.

So, I loaded up the Note 8 with my 163 songs currently on my favorite tracks playlist, so that I can take it with me (as roon is tied to only home use). I started Neutron and set it up for hi rez streaming. However, it lost all the superlatives I mentioned above. The most noticable on being the powerful low bass.

So my worry about wasting money trying UAPP is, is this a function of streaming from the Android Note 8 platform using locally sourced files, and not the Neutron Player? So that UAPP might be equally unspectacular?

Or, has anyone had a similar experience, and UAPP & its custom USB drivers did indeed better Neutron in a noticable way when you went from one to the other?

Much appreciate all informed replies. Thanx! I wont buy UAPP until you talk me into it. :)
I don't think $8 is too much for this software. There has been so many features built onto this software, it's totally worth the purchase for me. You can indeed stream locally sourced files to it. I did it from a PLEX server on a computer in my network.

I haven't used Neutron in awhile, but when I did, I found Neutron player to have a sound that seem like there was a processing going on to cause colored effects to the sound. With UAPP, it sounded straight-forward, or uncolored.

Ultimately, it's your call. Will you take the $8 gamble or not?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #3,478 of 6,195
Looking for honest 1st hand bases experience here.... My question in short is:

I don't see a trial version of UAPP in the google app store. Should I pay $8 for UAPP if I had a negative experience with streaming music from my Note 8 using the Neutron player using it's high rez USB driver? Will UAPP indeed 'better' it? Honestly.

Why I ask.

Just got an E1DA PowerDAC V2. Very impressed with it when fed music from Roon, -both-

1. fed from a Windows 10 micro (arm based) PC (which didnt do any resampling)
2. or from the Roon remote app running on my Note 8 (where Roon does resample everything to 48kHz).

The two sounded nearly identical: dynamic, engaging, powerful bass, sizzling highs, clean detail everywhere ... all the superlatives.

So, I loaded up the Note 8 with my 163 songs currently on my favorite tracks playlist, so that I can take it with me (as roon is tied to only home use). I started Neutron and set it up for hi rez streaming. However, it lost all the superlatives I mentioned above. The most noticable on being the powerful low bass.

So my worry about wasting money trying UAPP is, is this a function of streaming from the Android Note 8 platform using locally sourced files, and not the Neutron Player? So that UAPP might be equally unspectacular?

Or, has anyone had a similar experience, and UAPP & its custom USB drivers did indeed better Neutron in a noticable way when you went from one to the other?

Much appreciate all informed replies. Thanx! I wont buy UAPP until you talk me into it. :)

There is a free trial here:
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/uapp-trial

You would need to install from an apk though.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #3,479 of 6,195
@Dannemand

<off topic>And then I am compelled to commend your music taste: Shostakovich cello concertos and Bruckner symphonies :thumbsup: I personally prefer the Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin Bruckner cycle, both for interpretation, tempi and recording quality, particularly #5, #7 and #8. Reference Recordings #9 by Skrowaczewski/Minnesota Orchestra is my all time favorite, and #4 by Honeck/Pittsburgh Symphony is great too. I haven't yet listened to the new #9 by Honeck/Pittsburgh, which gets great reviews.</off topic>

Off topic : ON
Not an expert on Shostakovich but I have this in DSD256 and I love it!
https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/FR724SACD-shostakovich-symphony-no-5-barber-adagio-for-strings
Off topic: OFF

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #3,480 of 6,195
Off topic : ON
Not an expert on Shostakovich but I have this in DSD256 and I love it!
https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/FR724SACD-shostakovich-symphony-no-5-barber-adagio-for-strings
Off topic: OFF

I've listened to that one on Tidal, and do like it. Reference Recordings don't publish HiRes on Tidal, but I'll take their 16/44 over most HiRes/MQA releases anyway. Admittedly, I don't listen to Shosta symphonies as much as I used to. I had some intense Shosta-years back in the 1980s-90s, particularly after Denon released their phenomenal Inbal/Vienna Shosta cycle (same era as their famous Inbal/Frankfurt Mahler cycle). I'm still a sucker for Shosta #12, Violin concerto and Piano/Trumpet concerto. (Alright, OT off for good. I promise.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back