USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Feb 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #1,396 of 6,179
OK, to rephrase my point in a (hopefully) more clear manner:

With anything else than BubbleUPnP on the foreground (or with display off): the physical volume rocker of my Galaxy Note 4 controls the system media volume, as expected.

With BubbleUPnP UI on the foreground (UAPP as renderer): the physical volume control now suddenly controls UAPP's software volume, something I certainly do not want or need. It's very confusing: even if software volume was at 100, just one click down on the volume rocker brings the software volume to zero! I want to keep software volume on full at all times.

I have no idea why this is happening. How can I change UAPP to never adjust software volume?

I also don't understand why UAPP is reporting under Hardware Volume: "This device has no hardware controls." Surely that must be wrong - isn't the physical volume rocker a "hardware control"?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I'd like to get stuff configured by the time I get my Dragonfly.

The UPnP renderer in UAPP is expected to be used only when a USB DAC is attached. As such, the volume events that come in follow the 'Volume control' setting. In your case, software volume will be controlled.

Hardware volume is for USB DACs.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #1,398 of 6,179
Hi.
I connect my MICRO IDSD BL with my smartphone (Sony Z5 Compact) through the USB input, with an OTG cable. When I use the USB Audio Player PRO and listen to Tidal, the DAC shows the expected green led color, regarding 44/48/88/96kHz. However, when I use the Tidal app for android, it shows a yellow led color, regarding 176/192kHz DXD352/384kHz. The same yellow color is shown when I use the smartphone stock player.
Can you explain that?
Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #1,399 of 6,179
Hi.
I connect my MICRO IDSD BL with my smartphone (Sony Z5 Compact) through the USB input, with an OTG cable. When I use the USB Audio Player PRO and listen to Tidal, the DAC shows the expected green led color, regarding 44/48/88/96kHz. However, when I use the Tidal app for android, it shows a yellow led color, regarding 176/192kHz DXD352/384kHz. The same yellow color is shown when I use the smartphone stock player.
Can you explain that?
Thanks

Yes, the Android driver always upsamples to the highest rate of the DAC with a maximum of 192kHz.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #1,400 of 6,179
Which resampling algorithm does UAPP use? SoX or something of similar high quality? Just wondering what's "going on under the hood" when "Bit perfect when possible" is selected for downsampling.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,402 of 6,179
When I play music through Google play music, my sabaj da3 shows the 44.1khz but on Amazon music and apple music it shows 48khz. Does it mean that Google play music is bypassing the Android SRC?

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,403 of 6,179
Tidal tracks don't seem to play in offline mode in UAPP. An internet connection seems to be required to use Tidal even for offline mode. Is this the case? Am I doing something wrong?

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,404 of 6,179
Tidal tracks don't seem to play in offline mode in UAPP. An internet connection seems to be required to use Tidal even for offline mode. Is this the case? Am I doing something wrong?
UAPP does not support offline mode.

Mar 12, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #1,406 of 6,179
Sorry for the dumb question, but does it matter for playback fidelity what my Android system/software media volume is set at, before I connect my Dragonfly Red DAC and launch UAPP? (I have Bit perfect when possible enabled.)

The Play through Android option is disabled in UAPP, so I assume the phone's software volume is completely bypassed and the media volume setting on the phone is then controlling Dragonfly Red's internal volume?

The reason I'm asking is that on my Galaxy Note 4 the volume control worked differently than on the new S9+. I use UAPP as renderer from within BubbleUPnP, and previously in BubbleUPnP there was an "additional" 0-100 volume control, whereas on the S9+ the volume rocker controls media volume directly. I do have the volume rocker set to control media volume (a welcome option that apparently was introduced in Oreo or Nougat). In other words, now the volume control works the same whether I'm in the UAPP or BubbleUPnP UI. Previously volume controlling was a bit of a hassle.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #1,407 of 6,179
Sorry for the dumb question, but does it matter for playback fidelity what my Android system/software media volume is set at, before I connect my Dragonfly Red DAC and launch UAPP? (I have Bit perfect when possible enabled.)

The Play through Android option is disabled in UAPP, so I assume the phone's software volume is completely bypassed and the media volume setting on the phone is then controlling Dragonfly Red's internal volume?

The reason I'm asking is that on my Galaxy Note 4 the volume control worked differently than on the new S9+. I use UAPP as renderer from within BubbleUPnP, and previously in BubbleUPnP there was an "additional" 0-100 volume control, whereas on the S9+ the volume rocker controls media volume directly. I do have the volume rocker set to control media volume (a welcome option that apparently was introduced in Oreo or Nougat). In other words, now the volume control works the same whether I'm in the UAPP or BubbleUPnP UI. Previously volume controlling was a bit of a hassle.

UAPP does not use the Android volume setting when using USB audio.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #1,409 of 6,179
EDIT: It appears UAPP's hardware volume is accessible via BubbleUPnP so no problem there.

The "Media" volume slider in the phone settings affects volume, apparently idependently from UAPP's hardware volume.

What is the "Media" volume doing precisely, if Android audio is indeed bypassed? Shouldn't "Media" volume be controlling UAPP's hardware volume in this case? It appears some sort of software volume control is available even when it isn't supposed to be. That's why I previously asked should "Media" volume be set at 100% for bit-perfect playback "just in case", because clearly it is doing something?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,410 of 6,179
EDIT: It appears UAPP's hardware volume is accessible via BubbleUPnP so no problem there.

The "Media" volume slider in the phone settings affects volume, apparently idependently from UAPP's hardware volume.

What is the "Media" volume doing precisely, if Android audio is indeed bypassed? Shouldn't "Media" volume be controlling UAPP's hardware volume in this case? It appears some sort of software volume control is available even when it isn't supposed to be. That's why I previously asked should "Media" volume be set at 100% for bit-perfect playback "just in case", because clearly it is doing something?

The app listens to media volume up/down events and increases/decreases the software or hardware volume depending on what you've chosen in the app's settings (and whether you are using a USB DAC). It does not take the absolute value of the media volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back