US$130 budget. Best headphones/IEM for Trance, Dance, HipHop, Classical
Sep 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Redd10

New Head-Fier
Hi there! Would anyone of you guys advice me on which is the best headphones I could get for US$130 budget? I know these things differs from each individual to another. I just would like to know what is the ideal one you guys would get for the budget stated. Maybe I would be happy with the purchase too? Who knows :)

I was looking at the Shure SRH440 because I have used it before and it sounded satisfactory for me. I would have gotten it if i werent going to post on this forum first. I'm not an audiophile so my exposure is limited and the SRH440 sounded good to me.

Type of use: Genre @ the title, healthy dose of bass heavy, and clarity music. I used to help out my band with audio engineering (ameture level haha) so would be great if I could use it for audio editing once in a while in the future. But no plans yet. At the end of the day, would like to use it for music listening.

I know US$130 is not much trying to look for good quality cans, but would like to see if theres any suggestions for value for money :) would like to try something new (and better).

Much appreciated!

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 21
Hi there.

In terms of greatest value for the buck you might want to look at the JVC S500 thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/1635#post_8729093

75 bucks shipped from Japan but a seriously nice sounding set of 'phones for the money.

Malveaux who is a very respected member here has recommended the M-Audio Q40 as a lower priced headphone that is good in the bass dept.

The best value out there I think right now is the DT990 32 ohm for only 160 from "Amazon Warehouse Deals". They are sellling "like new" there. Amazon's return policy is awesome so if you have a problem with getting used, you can be assured they will deal with any issue you may have.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0024NK344/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I would recommend the $20 FiiO e6 amp if you go that route (make sure you buy authentic from B&H or MiccaStore.com) with those cans to get them to reach their potential. They are open back so they are NOT portables.

In terms of you question on sound engineering with cans a more neutral can would be more ideal for that purpose IMO.

Edit: Forgot to mention. the JVC are an ON EAR option. They are portable and closed and do not require any amping at all.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 21
Great info! I'll check them out. I'll be using the headphones with the laptop most of the time, rarely with my portable music player, will the amps still benefit my headphones? So there will be no problems about power for the amp.

Unfortunately i'm not living in the US so I might need to get the stuff mostly from ebay. I'll check with the seller first before purchasing.

edit: oops i get it, I will have to look at the technical details of my laptop to see the output details like ohm to see if i will benefit from an amp or not.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 21
Great info! I'll check them out. I'll be using the headphones with the laptop most of the time, rarely with my portable music player, will the amps still benefit my headphones? So there will be no problems about power for the amp.

Unfortunately i'm not living in the US so I might need to get the stuff mostly from ebay. I'll check with the seller first before purchasing.

edit: oops i get it, I will have to look at the technical details of my laptop to see the output details like ohm to see if i will benefit from an amp or not.

Your laptop should run all three of the ones I mentioned. It is going to depend on the one you are thinking of getting. The Beyers I would recommend an amp to really get the full sound out of them, the JVC 500 needs no amp etc.. The JVC is very efficent/sensitive and can be run from an ipod very easily for example.

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 21
I was using an IEM (Brainwavs M1) previously, until the right side started giving me problems. It was good while it lasted, I was thinking of trying something new like maybe headphones this time round. I'm still open to suggestions if there are good IEMs worth looking at :)

Would be better too honestly, because come to think of it, I do not have a very portable IEM for long bus rides anymore. I do not like to go out with headphones thats the reason why I got an IEM previously.

I would get headphones if it could provide better sound since I was planning to only use it indoors, not moving. But if an IEM could offer me that, it would be great too! haha. Multi purpose!

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 21
Something like Yamaha EPH-100 would fit your genre's nicely, they can be purchased through audioaffair for roughly $115 shipped. Plenty of reviews online to check out. You could also consider Monster Turbine from amazon for $79, they fit your preferences. Although there's people enjoying JVC SA500 that enjoyment doesn't really leave the thread here, I highly doubt you'll find anywhere else online praising them as much. A little bit of hype the monthly hype going on in there, and as one preaches at a bar all the drunken sailors follow, with the majority having low post counts and little experience. Just be aware of that.

Remembering my suggestions are IEM's not headphones, however both have past flavour of the month stage.

Look up the ones I mentioned and any other options you may like here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-254-iems-compared-philips-oneill-tread-klipsch-s3-added-09-19-12

Goodluck.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 21
@H20Fidelity yeah ive used a guide from this forum before before getting my Brainwavs M1. Thanks for the link, ive gone through it before, will look in detail soon.

@rikardoliepa thanks for the suggestion, but somehow the design matters to me too because I prefer something basic like the Monster Turbine. CKM500 looks outstanding but yeah the design wont matter if the reviews I read would convince me it's worth the purchase :)

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 21
I have heard tributes which have same sq as turbine pro.

No, they do not have the same quality, where do you get this information from? Hopefully not only judging the overall sound rating ljokerl gives? If you read his reviews they're completely not only rated sound quality wise, IEM's hold different signatures in how they perform and present, there's a lot more to it than just sound quality, such as bass response, separation, timbre, dynamics, decay, attack, soundstage differences in height, width and depth, imaging. All these participate into how well an IEM performs. The mids and treble can be forward, extended, shallow, bass weighty or thin. There's just to many variables to simply rate one better than another on a simple SQ score.

I understand you're new here, though please refrain from commenting on IEM's you have NOT heard.

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 21
@rikardoliepa thanks for the suggestion, but somehow the design matters to me too because I prefer something basic like the Monster Turbine. CKM500 looks outstanding but yeah the design wont matter if the reviews I read would convince me it's worth the purchase :)

Please avoid buying an IEM over looks. If you want to spend that much on an IEM I would look up the JVC FXD80 (and they just so happen to look cool too :) ). Honestly in the JVC Carbon Nanotube line the FX40 will prolly be on par with the turbines for 20 dollars (I have a pair).

It would probably be better for you to list the kind of music you will primarily listen to as well as the sound signature that you like -- bassy? neutral? sparkly highs? forward mids? etc... Just do the best you can to describe what you are looking for.

People are making recommendations to you based on what THEY like. Its best to tell us what YOU like and see if anyone on here has experience to guide you to the right purchase.

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 21
He's given the genre's he listens to in the TITLE. and also a brief run down of what he's looking for.

Type of use: Genre @ the title, healthy dose of bass heavy, and clarity music

But I'm sure a little more wouldn't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back